It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

New to this forum so any and all input is greatly appreciated - I am trying to quit heroin. again, and finally went to see a suboxone doc. I have the strips and have used them in the past with very little help, especially the first day off dope. I am unable to swallow the saliva mixed with the medication as it makes me very sick and I puke within an hour. Knowing that the medicine doesn't seem to help, especially when I need it the most, the first day or two, I wind up not being able to take the withdrawal and going back to dope. This is a viscious cycle for me and I've been dealing with it for years. I am wondering if there is something that I can do, or not do, to make the medicine help. I hear and read so many success stories about sub and feel that I must be doing something wrong. I have tried waiting anywhere from 12 to 24 hours and still do not get relief. I have read in this forum that I should try cutting the strips into smaller doses and also read about not just holding them under my tongue, but moving them around my entire mouth. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I want this to work and i don't want to take another car ride to the city to get dope!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion, Heroin to Suboxone is not an easy transition. It takes a few days to adjust and the first couple days are less than pleasant. I think you just have to be at a point where you're willing to endure a couple of crappy days for ultimate relief and some peace of mind. I am not one to talk, I failed my three inductions from H to sub (eventually settling into sub maintenance from methadone but that was an even more brutal induction.) Eventually, you just have to push through it. You can do it!

Are you still violently ill even after taking subs? Or just uncomfortable? You said you throw up after but you shouldn't be throwing up the suuboxone really. How much are you taking when you try to induce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for posting TD!! I greatly appreciate it...getting sick on the subs is something that started a while ago, again, trying to get off dope. The first time that I took it was in rehab and I was fine...in fact, I slept, didn't crap myself for days and was truly amazed at how good I felt. I figured that, with the number of meds they were giving me, there was something in the mix that helped me from getting sick. Anyway, I walked out of that rehab after medical detox and felt great - 5 days and I was off dope, subs and felt great. Of course that didn't last and I relapsed - that was July, 2 years ago. I induced using the 8 mg. strips after about 20 hours most recently. I let the strip desolve and keep the saliva/sub mix in my mouth for as long as possible, usually about 10 minutes, then I spit it out. I don't drink anything or wash my mouth out for a half an hour & I have found that I do not get sick that way...but, I don't feel any better for the first couple of days. I have been taking the 8's twice a day. From what I am reading on this post, maybe I should try cutting the strips down to a couple of mg's, waiting an hour and taking another 2 mg's, etc. I do feel better after a couple of days and I know that the subs work, it's just that first couple of days with no sleep and all of the withdrawal symptoms that is so hard to take and often, I have gone back to shooting dope...but I need to bear down and do this once and for all...the sub doctor is not cheap and neither are the strips, right!! I have read so many stories of people that take the subs and have immediate relief...I'm an addict, so I am looking for instant relief and if there is something that I can do differently with induction, I'm up for it...!!! Thanks again for posting...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pete, I feel for ya man, I actually tried to induce a week ago to no avail. I am curently going at it in a different way all together. A way most people fail at.
I wanted you to know I understand where you are at. When I first was induced onto sub my doctor had me doseing 4 times a day for the first few days until the sub was built up in my system. So every 4 hrs I would take an 8mg strip. From the sounds of it, you are taking the strips the correct way. I would not swollow neither no matter how safe "they" say it is. The only thing I can suggest you do, is to Get yourself fully prepared best you can, fluids, advil, crackers, sleepy tea, movies, your favorite blanket, a comfy bed and just chill for a day or two while you transition. Allow your body to adjust to the sub. Sub feels different than H. Try best you can to have NO expectations of feeling completely normal after taking the sub. Many people report feeling "Better than I have in a long time". For us H users, it just is not that easy, unfortunately. I made it thru the first time by laying in the direct sunshine and doing NOTHING but try to relax and feel better. I know how hard it is to induce onto sub. H to sub is not a smooth transition. BUT it DOES get better after a day or 2. Unfortunately like you I could not withstand the WD for long before I was back to the H. Give yourself time hun...Be gentle with yourself...Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Depending on the quality of your gear suboxone might just not cut it and this has been a problem for a lot of people on high quality dope that I've talked to personally at my clinic. Your best bet might be methadone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with BBOY. methadone might be better at first to help you get off H. Then once you can stabilize on methadone, you can transition to Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Firsty of all, I want to thank everyone for posting...just knowing that I'm not alone in this battle is a huge help, so Thank You all...!! I have been able to make the transition in the past, so I just need to be steadfast in my battle and that's where you guys are a huge help. I am in a unique position with this, in that I have 3 children, 2 of which are still living at home and 1 that is away for college. They, along with my wife, rely on me for allot of "stuff" around the house. I am the head cook and housemaker of my home. My wife works 40-50 hrs. per week and I am very fortunate in that with my job, I can do allot of work from home. This is good and bad - good in that I am able to detox without anyone. other than my family members, knowing. Bad in that I tend to take advantage of my situation and get lazy. When detoxing, especially the first 24-48 hrs., I am completely useless and I put allot of pressure on myself to get dinner ready, clean up, etc. As Sweetie says, I need to give myself a break and know that it's only for a couple of days and they can fend for themselves. They are sick and tired of seeing my like this and can't understand why I continue to put myself through this. They have a good point! For me, the urge to use is overwhelming and knowing that relief is 45 minutes away is not a good thing. Again, I have to make up my mind to do this once and for all, go through it for one last time and be done with it. It is very true what they say in that I cannot do this by myself. I have a good network of recovering addicts that I can talk with at anytime, it's just a matter of picking up the phone instead of jumping in my car! Sounds so simple, but for me, it is not. So, having you guys to talk to is a great help for me!! I reached 20 hours at 1:00 this afternoon and I'm trying the method of cutting the strip into 4 pieces and using them over the next four hours...so far, so good and I'm determined to do it this time! I keep telling myself that it will get better and I know that it will. By tomorrow at this time, I will be feeling much better and I can do anything for 24 hours, if I put my mind to it. So again, thanks for all of your posts and I will continue to update you guys.... ;-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, made it past the 48 hour mark and feeling pretty good...I'm cutting the 8's in half and taking them every 4 hours or so. That's the amount that the Doc told me to take, 16 mg's per day, so it seems to be doing the job, thankfully. Good thing as I have an important meeting with one of my customers tomorrow and for the first time in a looooong time, I will be able to attend the meeting without having to shoot up prior!! It's amazing how much different everything looks and feels when I stop using dope. The sky is blue, the clouds are white, the pine trees in my back yard are soooo green...it's pretty cool to see and feel again!! I acutally have been sneezing for the first time in months. Amazing...Anyway, I thought that I would update you guys and again, I appreciate all of your posts for the "newbie"!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Pete!

That's great news! I'm really happy to hear you stuck it out and are seeing the induction through. No more sticking yourself! Are you going to continue seeing your sub doc and stay on sub for a little while? Have you gotten rid of all your shit? Rigs, bottle caps, etc..? If you haven't yet, throw that crap out and move forward.

Keep us posted!! Wishing nothing but the best for you. Hope you kill it in your meeting today. :D