It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, the first time that I had just one tooth pulled I just went with it and took maybe half a strip extra for the tooth pain. It was aching like arthritis and I figured it would help and it did somewhat. Thing is, I am now fixing to have more pulled at once. I know that this will add up together in pain issues. Yes I am a wimp when it comes to pain that is more than say a PMS cramp. I have tolerated alot, but honestly if I dont have to tolerate it I do have a problem with "trying" to tolerate it. If that makes any sense whatsoever, if it doesnt I do apologize. My predicament is do I :
A. come off the Sub or dont take anything the day before I go in for the visit and take the pain meds that they give me supervisied. OR
B. just take the Sub and deal with the rest.
My husband and I have spoken about it and he said that however I feel will tell the tale but the thing is where Bupe attaches to the receptors with iron claws, waiting to see how I will feel isnt a good thing unless I just stop it say tomorrow or take my last dose the first thing when I get up and nothing else until after I have them pulled. I know that I will be numb Thursday and I am having gas because our dental insurance pays for nothing else like the sedation unless I go in and have them done all at once in a surgery setting.
I am scared however, like anyone with anxiety issues towards dentists. The first visit I was crying when they laid the back of the chair down for me to stretch out, the nurse said lets get the gas going and maybe that will calm you down. It did, really well and I mean really well. I was warm all over, my hands felt like they weighed oh about 200 lbs each and I kept wiggling my fingers in my face because I liked that weighed down feeling.
My husband also thinks that I should pull all the top ones at once and just get it over with but that is going to be 9 x11=99 plus the 50 for the gas. So in total, that will be 149 for all the top teeth to be pulled. But you know, the more that I think about it having them done a few at a time adds that 50 bucks up for the gas each time I go to have them pulled as well.
Thing is, having just a few pulled compared to them all makes it worth paying the extra for the gas to compensate for the pain that I KNOW I WILL DEFINITELY have. Saturday I have a damn Sub doctor appointment because I have three strips after the two I have on me and that will not get me to Tuesday which was my actual appointment.
I dont like seeing a doctor that I dont know at all. Thing is with that, husband works Tuesday and cant get a day off so no one to take me because he has the car. Saturday is the better day.
Back to my mouth...
Something tells me that I might not even have that much pain because the dentist is good and he is not standing on your chest pulling with all the energy and strength that he has. He walks you through it with ease. He told me that I would feel him slip off of it because that is just normal and he said you will feel some pressure. I honestly felt just a bit of pressure and then when he popped it out, I thought it was still in there because it felt like nothing happened.
We went to Walmart afterwards because my mother had somethings to pick up.I walked all over Walmart and didnt have really any problems, but it was just one tooth that was pulled. I didnt really have any trouble until later that evening when I settled down before bedtime. I will be having atleast two to three pulled this time. They might want to yank more, however they will have to speak to Mom because hubby gets paid Friday and appointment is Thursday. It was the only time that I could get in unless I wanted to wait another two weeks and I have two teeth that are bothering me heavily when I eat.
Oh if I forgot to say it earlier, my daily dose right now is about 5mg. I average more if I have extra pain, and less if I just honestly forget sometimes to take it. When I get busy during the day, I will forget to take it. My back and knee pain it does help out with a little bit.
I am a worry wart, I tend to worry when there is no real need but I am just manufactured that way. I get it from my mother, who worries about everyone but herself. I dont worry about aftercare, my husband waited on me hand and foot even though I didnt really want him to do so. He works ten hours a day and then for him to come in and have to grab this and that, I wanted him to set down but he wouldnt do it so I just went with it. He is stubborn and very head strong, when he sets his mind to something he does it and wont rest until he can do it.
So with that said, should I just stay on Sub and muscle through the pain or maybe atleast have the pain pills there incase it is really bad? I know that its not as bad as a broke leg or kidney stones but when you are a Class A wimp LOL it can feel alot worse than it actually is at times.
Boy, I can ramble. I do apologize for that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:13 pm 

Hey PB34,

Reading through your post I didn't once see you mention any anti-inflammatory drugs, like, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Aspirin, etc. You seem stuck on opiates being the only drug that will help.

10 years or so ago I had all my wisdom teeth pulled. My dentist told me to call him if the pain was untolerable. It wasn't. All I took was some Motrin and it worked like a charm. Had a molar pulled 2 years ago while on Sub and same story, Motrin or my favorite, Aleve, will do the trick. You can also ask for Tramadol (Ultram). You won't feel the Ultram but it will work similar to an opiate.

We have others here who have gone through the same problem as you. Having many pulled at the same time. They will probably post after mine. If not, I can find the old posts about it.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amber4.14.11 has had many teeth removed and only used Suboxone and Advil, too.

A couple months back, I broke two bones in my hand. Had to have surgery to fix it. The surgeon drilled straight through two of the bones, hammered surgical pins in to stabilize the bones and I only used 1 Lortab, Advil worked well enough to overcome the rest of the pain associated with the surgery.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The reason that I didn't mention any NSAIDS is that I am already on those for TMJ flare up's or earaches. I guess its just a habit to think of opiates as being the only painkiller. Its just habit, nothing more. I have a lot of stomach trouble from the NSAIDS that I am on and I don't take those but once in awhile. I have these little spotty ear ache troubles from time to time, not sure what they are but a Naproxen will knock them out. Not only that but the TMJ that I had been previously having before the dental work was just horrid and NSAIDS are the only thing that knocks that out. I honestly hate Tramadol, I hate it with every fiber of my being because it is the drug that got me started. I would rather have all my teeth yanked at once with nothing than to go back to that stuff, its just not a choice at all for me.
Only way that I would ever take that stuff is if they have changed it entirely meaning the way that it makes you feel altogether. I used to love the way that it made me feel, now not so much. I will more than likely hang with a low dose of Sub today and so far I have only had about 1 1/2mg. I am not good at cutting those things at all. 2 years on it and still cant cut them worth a damn. Yesterday I had a low dose as well I was around 4mg. That is what I did when I had to go off them for financial reasons and they put me on Tramadol to deal with WD's which it didn't. The day that I went to the doctor for the tramadol I took two in the car and I did feel them, but I don't know if it is because I had such low doses of Sub in me for the past few days or what was going on there.
I am really just doing this as a precautionary method. I am one of those people that likes to have all bases covered just in the weird situation that something happens. So right now, my options are wait it out and see how bad it will be with just Sub or maybe a couple pain pills just to ease it down maybe. I will probably just keep with Sub since it hasn't let me down so far. I have used it for every other ailment that has came along. I do appreciate all comments.