It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am almost 41 weeks pregnant and getting induced to have my little boy in two days. I'm very excited but at the same time extremely nervous about a few different things. When I found out I was pregnant I was taking only 1mg of suboxone film a day. So literally a tiny piece. After consulting with my pain management doctor he switched me to subutex. Over the course of my pregnancy my dose has increased significantly due to my greater blood volume, and in my opinion it was easier for me to get more pain relief from suboxone film than subutex pill. I usually take about 8mg to 16mg in a 24 hour period depending on how bad my pain is but it's usually closer to the latter, usually ending up taking at least more than 8mg. My Tollerance in very high to say the least. I'm prescribed to take 16mg daily, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable not knowing if I will be putting my baby through withdrawl once he is born. I know the lower the dose the less likely he is to have withdrawls and the thought of hurting him in any way kills me. However, I know it's just the waiting game and I just have to hope for the best that he won't withdrawl and he'll be okay. I still feel horribly selfish though :cry: My biggest concern at this point is what to do about getting adequate pain relief for myself during my induction. Since my induction is in two days should I stop taking my subutex completely, feel kind of sick and ask the doctors and nurses for pain relief as soon as I get checked into the hospital? I really don't want the hospital staff to treat me like an addict and not give me proper pain medicine and take my baby to the NCIU even if he is completely fine simply because i'm prescribed to subutex. It makes me feel torn about even telling the staff I'm taking subutex. On the one hand, I want them to understand my tollerance for pain medication so they can give me a proper dose, but at the same time I don't want them to treat me differently and rush my baby away even if he is just fine. I know I should have taken the time to wean myself, not just for me but for the baby. But I've been taking subutex for pain control, not just opiate dependency and it's just so hard at this stage in my pregnancy to cut my dose down when I'm in pain all the time and extremely uncomfortable. If anyone has gone through the same thing or has any advice for me it would be extremely appreciated!! My goals are to have a healthy happy baby and to not suffer through the process! I just want to be as pain free as I can be so I can enjoy this experience so if anyone has any knowledge of this please let me know! Sorry if I am rambling and this is really long, I'm just so worried and I just want everything to go okay for by baby and myself.

note: my OB doctor knows that i'm on subutex as well but she really doesn't know anything about it. she didn't even know what it was when i first went to her and told her I was on it. she had to google it to even know what i was talking about lol. and that was at the very beginning of my pregnancy and she has never even mentioned it once since then so i'm not too concerned about her juddging me, just the nurses and hospital staff. but i am nervous her not giving me adequate pain relief because of my tollerance. at the same time, i don't want to make a huge deal about me taking subutex and then they overreact about my baby and take him away. so basically, should i stop taking my sub now and withdrawl until day of delivery? and what do i say to the staff? thank you SOOOOO very much for reading this, i know i've repeated myself and it's very long i just want to be clear about all of my concerns. God bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I really wish I had some advice. I just wanted to let you know that I am prego (12 weeks) and on sub without a script. Scared to death to say the least. I hope someone comes on here and has some advice for you. However it sounds as tho your situation is going really well to say the least. You have a script, you are tapered down to almost nothing. From the sounds of it you have this whooped. Good luck. And plz update us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:35 pm 

I wanted to equip you with a couple of articles written by the doctor who runs this site. The first gives information on pain management for the pregnant sub patient giving birth. The article is specifically about a planned c-section, but is full of good information. If you do decide to talk with the hospital personnel about your sub use, you could use the article to start a conversation about pain management.

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... d-surgery/

The next article, called "Newborn Withdrawal: Lay Off the Guilt Trip" is about newborns of women taking suboxone:

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... uilt-trip/

I hope these two articles help! Dr. Junig has written 12 articles about pregnancy and suboxone that you should be able to look up under the links I've given you.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please read my response. Its posted by Markey0308 but accidentally posted it under the post above yours. I think you will find it very informative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know im a little bit late but I just wanted to let u know a couple things.. First, the amount of sub u are taking during your pregnancy is irrelevant, someone taking 24mg has just as much of a chance of having a baby born with withdrawals as someone taking 2mg. Sub is not like methadone, there is only a very small chance that your baby will have withdrawals no matter what dose you are taking. Second, I was like u, I started out at 8mg in the beginning of my pregnancy and was up to 16-24mg by the end because of my blood volume. My daughter is 8 months old now and she was born happy & healthy, no withdrawals whatsoever. The nurses at the hospital I had her in were very nice, I was treated just like anyone else. I was unable to get pain meds though, during or after the birth. The nurses had told me in order for the meds to work I would have to stop taking my subs more than a week before the delivery therefor risking withdrawal and pre-term labor. I did have a little prior experience with subs and pain meds when I had dental surgery, I stopped taking my subs 4 days prior to the surgery and they still didnt work so I just stuck with motrin.. well, good luck with everything and enjoy your new bundle of joy :)