It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Getting a buzz?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone tabs for almost a month now and I only take 2 a day. I feel like I am getting some kind of buzz from them. How is that possible??? It scared me because I think I might be taking too much and could OD. Has this happened to anyone and if so, can you explain how you were feeling....

Post subject: Re: Getting a buzz?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dawnie, do you mean 2 mg/day or 2 tabs a day? If the latter, what strength?

I don't ever remember feeling 'buzzed' on Sub's, but I definitely got a 'lift' each day, until my taper.

There's a ceiling on how much Sub's can be in your system, and I've never heard of a Sub's OD, but no virus expert.

-- ji

Dawnie1118 wrote:
I have been on suboxone tabs for almost a month now and I only take 2 a day. I feel like I am getting some kind of buzz from them. How is that possible??? It scared me because I think I might be taking too much and could OD. Has this happened to anyone and if so, can you explain how you were feeling....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take 2 tabs daily of 2-0.5mg. Maybe I am imagining it but it is a weird feeling. It is kind of like butterflies in my stomach

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Euphoria
:?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a bit hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

While under the ceiling dose of Suboxone, which can be anywhere from 4mg to 12mg depending on who you ask, your blood level concentrations of Suboxone go up and down. When you take your Suboxone, your blood level concentrations go up and you may feel a "buzz." When you're above the ceiling, your body and brain get used to always having the same level of Suboxone and most people don't feel a buzz then.

The problem with the ceiling is that some people with smaller opiate habits don't require the 8mg or so, where I believe the ceiling is. Giving someone who has a smaller opiate habit 8mg of Suboxone only raises their overall tolerance, but then again, if that person is an addict and can't stop opiates, raising their tolerance is really the least of thier worries.

Also, some people are just more sensitive to Suboxone than others. You may be one of those who is a bit more sensitive to it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That makes a lot of sense to me Romeo. So I am taking 4mg daily which seems to be a low dose based on what you are saying. My doc has told me to take 2 tabs a day all at once. I have been trying to take one in the morning and one in the evening but when I do that I get some mild withdrawal symptoms. And the reason I didn't take them both at the same time is because this stuff makes REALLY sleepy almost non functional. So I really have only taken them both at the same time a couple times in one month. My opiate addiction, to me, seemed small to begin with but maybe I am wrong. I was taking 1 to 2 30 milligrams tabs of oxycodone daily. But only a quarter of a tab at once. Is that a low dose to you Romeo? I really can't see myself getting up to the 8 to 12 milligram "ceiling" dose as you refer to. I almost feel like just stopping everything and just trying to get thru the withdrawals on my own. Something my doc said about the sub is "I can't promise you that I will be able to get you off the suboxone". That has really stuck with me because I don't want to go from one addiction to another. I want to be totally clean! I am thinking of just putting myself into detox and then starting counseling to help keep me off. What do you think? That just seems to appealing to me. By the way I am a "closet" opiate addict. for about 1 year now. I am a 58 year old woman who never used pain pills until I broke my ankle 6 years ago at the age of 52. Do you have any insight for me Romeo? Thanks so much for responding to my posting too! It seems I am a "post stopper" because everytime I respond to a post, that is where it stops. There are never any posts after mine~ lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dawnie, Hi,
I thought I would chime in, hope this helps you. By all accounts when I read a little of your story, you had a very mild opiate addiction. I am surprised that the doc wanted to even put you on suboxone. My feeling there was to keep you as a patient for the money. I could be wrong, just a feeling. I would have thought that the first way for you to get away from opiates would have been a slow taper from the drug itself. Most people can not do this, it can be very difficult, then suboxone is a great alternative. I think your dose right now is too high for you. The sleepiness, the buzz, I think your dose is too high. On all accounts your opiate dosage was low, so I could see your suboxone dosage only needing to be 2mg max a day or lower. Try 1 mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Try different dosages, it could help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Justdoit4u....

I have tried to take less then what my doc prescribed but then I get withdrawal feelings. Anxious, sweaty and depressed. I think the reason she thought of putting me on Sub, in the first place, is because I have tried Everything in the book to stop taking the Oxy but have not been able to stop! When I told my Doc about getting a "buzz" she said it was impossible. She thought that I was just starting to feel "normal" and that is what was making me feel it was a buzz feeling. I think she is wrong, I know my body better then she does and it difinitely is a buzzed feeling. She also told me that she has never had a case like mine before. She has referred to an "addiction" counselor, who I start seeing next week. I am honestly feel, that seeing the counselor without the Subs will help me.

I took one 2milligram tab about 3 hours ago and I have that "buzzed" feeling right now~~ I would LOVE any input!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am wondering if that buzz I am feeling is how I used to feel before I started taking the Oxys? It's been awhile since I have had a "normal" feeling~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It looks like you were taking up to 2 of the 30mg Oxy's a day. 60mg of Oxy a day. If you were only taking 1 or 2 pills a day, I'd be hard pressed to say that's addiction, sounds more like being dependent on it to me, but I really don't know your situation, so I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I'd suggest you work with your addiction counselor to figure out if you really were dependent or addicted. Whether you're an addict or dependent, you're still going to get wd when stopping an opiate habit. It's not only addicts who get wd from stopping opiates. Just wanted to clear that up in case there was any confusion.

As to what to do now.....as things stand, I'm thinking you're not an addict, so if I were you, I'd start trying to lower my Suboxone dose slowly. Maybe 1.5mg in the morning, then the other 2mg in the evening or whenever you normally take it. Stay there until you feel stable, then drop to 1.5mg morning and 1.5mg evening.

The question you asked about rehab would be a good question for your addiction counselor. I don't know as you need rehab? I just don't know?

I had to LOL at you being a post stopper. That happened to me a lot when I first joined. I thought it was my avatar making people not wanna post after I posted? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh man Romeo....you seem to have hit the nail right on the head (I think). Are you a doctor? lol
I have never heard it put that way before but it sure makes sense. Do you think it is harder to stop an addiction or a dependence? Or equally the same? I know the WD comes no matter what it is. You have given me hope because I was afraid to get hooked on the Subs so I didn't want to take them very long. I just wanted to use them to take the cravings away and/or the routine of taking the oxys everyday. Do you understand what I mean??? My short story is I have been stealing the Oxys from my husband for over a year now. He has them for severe back pain and has been on them for about 13 years now (now HE is an addict, but that is another story) I would take the oxys about the same time everyday. I felt the only way to stop taking them was to stop the habit of taking them at that same time everyday. I would take a quarter of a tab at a time. I have not had 1 OXY since June 30th and have somewhat gotten out of the habit of having it at those certain times each day (I hope you are following me) . Because I haven't had an Oxy for almost a month will the WD be easier then if I had stopped taking them without the SUBS? I am going to take your advice and taper myself as you have suggested. After I have gotten down to 1.5 in the AM and 1.5 in the PM then what do I go down to? Cut it down another half? ( maybe you could make out a little chart for me to follow). What would you suggest I tell my Doc? I am really excited about this now and also can't wait to start seeing the counselor! You have made my day Romeo! So...could you make me a chart? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband knows nothing of any of this!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nah, I'm not a doctor, I'm just some dork on the internet. :D

In my opinion, a dependence is easier to stop. For the most part, with a dependence, once the med is removed and the wd's are gone, life returns much to normal. With addiction, removing the med or drug is only a part of the issue. Even with the med or drug removed, we addicts are still left with a bunch of shit coping skills and maladaptive behaviors that we usually have to work on correcting and again, in my opinion, addiction doesn't really go away. My tendencies to act like a complete ass with drugs are always there; all I need to do is put some drugs back in my body and poof....instant asshole. :wink:

You asked, "Because I haven't had an Oxy for almost a month will the WD be easier then if I had stopped taking them without the SUBS?" Stopping Oxy cold turkey, even from the "low" dose you were at, could have been fairly rough. Everyone is different with wd, but I'm guessing wd from Oxy would have really floored you. With Suboxone, you can taper your dose very low and step off without getting slammed by wd. You may not feel great for several days, but it will be nothing compared to what Oxy wd would have been.

Yeah, I can make you a little chart no problem. Let me get one made and see if I can paste it onto this thread.

As for your other questions, I'd rather you discuss those with your addiction counselor. I don't mind helping you at all, but some of the other questions are a bit out of my league.

Last edited by Romeo on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

-----------Morning Dose--------------Evening Dose------------Total Daily Dose
Drop #1------1.5mg--------------------1.5mg---------------------3mg
Drop #2------1.25mg-------------------1.5mg---------------------2.75mg
Drop #3------1.25mg-------------------1.25mg--------------------2.5mg
Drop #4------1mg-----------------------1.25mg-------------------2.25mg
Drop #5------1mg-----------------------1mg-----------------------2mg
Drop #6------0.75mg-------------------1mg-----------------------1.75mg
Drop #7------0.75mg-------------------0.75mg-------------------1.5mg
Drop #8------0.5mg--------------------0.75mg--------------------1.25mg
Drop #9------0.5mg--------------------0.5mg---------------------1mg
Drop #10-----0.25mg------------------0.5mg----------------------0.75mg
Drop #11-----0.25mg------------------0.25mg---------------------0.5mg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Romeo...you Rawk!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In looking at your chart I realized the dosage is wrong. I take one 2mg tab in the AM and one in the PM....What do I do to the tab to get it to 1.5 just take 3/4 quarters of it?....I don't feel to bright right now...lol

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have the 2mg pills, not the films?

Yes, 3/4 of a 2mg pill is 1.5mg of Suboxone. Once you get under 1.5mg per dose, you should ask your doctor to switch you over to the films, they're much easier to cut accurately than the pills.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you...I will do that~
:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dawnie

Yep, I am a post stopper also LOL That's why i don't post sometimes hoping others with more knowledge/experience will help a new person.

I am close to your age & got addicted about 6 years ago due to chronic pain and emotional stress. I had taken pain pills for years. I threw out more than i took until 2006 when there were some big changes in my life.

Romeo's post about addiction vs dependence was something i was wondering about with you. I also agree with a slow taper off the subs because we are not 25 and it takes more to "bounce back" then it used to - well at least for me. Some things to consider are do you have other health issues that should be addressed/watched while you taper & will you be able to leave your husbands oxy alone? I am not sure i would be able to stay away from the oxy in the house when/if i was feeling crappy.

Lots of stuff to talk to your counselor about. I have an addiction counselor and it's the best thing i have done for myself!

Hope someone posts after me LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tiki brought up some very good points, I hope you read her post.

Hey Tiki, you're no longer a post stopper!! :wink: