It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all! I start sub trtmnt in a cpl wks and was hoping to read stories on this site that spoke of great success with trtmnt. I have read a few threads where ppl have thrived on suboxone trmtnt, but the majority of them have been horror stories of tapering and WDs. I understand that this could be the truth, and I'm not one that only wants to hear what they wanna hear, but if subs are just a tool to buy a lil time away from WDs i'd like to know. Has anybody entered the realm of sub trtmnt with the intentions of staying on it forever???U know, trting opiate addiction as a life long disease like high blood prsr? If sub trtmnt will end up in WD, even w dr supervision...just not sure it's worth it. Just a bit nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the answer to your question is different for everyone.....

all of us have a different story. If you have legitimate pain issues, which alot of us do, thats what started pain pills to begin with, it seems the only logical conclusion is to plan on long term treatment. what are you gonna do, take sub six months, then go back to opiates??
that MY plan, I dont know if I ever will feel like going off. If I DO, I know I'll have to prepare for it. but for right now, it works, and I dont have any side effects, other than positive ones!!

On the other hand, ALL of our adiction stories are different too.
I think short term abusers (funny term, I know) may benefit from short term treatment. Maybe thier brain can still "salvage" whats left, and the sub helps correct that, im not sure.

I do know that I had about 9 yrs of adiction, and the last 3 were like a horror film.
and since I tried quiting on my own, many times, with the failures only ending in a yet worse relapse, and place than before, I KNOW going on 'my own' left to my own devices, I'll most likely fail.

and there ARE sucess stories out there. I think alot of people dont write about them, becuase they feel good. when you feel bad, thats when you need support and empathy. thats when you need to 'unload' your feelings.
does that make sense?

I hope so.
Im sure more experienced people will post a lil more info.............. but thats my two cents

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response! So happy that there's a place for ppl like us to get help and tell our stories. I guess i'm just gettin cold feet. I'm really scared that my dr will only allow me to take subs for a short while and i'll be right back where I am now. Not sure what the long term affects of suboxone are, but if there are no real threats known, i'm not sure why ppl that fight addiction would ever wanna stop trtmnt. Or why drs would insist that their patients stop trtmnt knowing that the always lurking addict inside us will most likely never die...without help.i just wanna get well...even if that means takin meds the rest of my life. My appt is in 12 days...i'm not even sure how i'm gonna make it that long. The thought of WDing for my first appt scares me to death. I hope i'm making the right decision. Really scared and I just wanna get well. Thanks!!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jdrummer,

I am one of the people you don't hear from very often because I am doing well on subs.

I started at 8mg 2 years ago and now I am on 4mg. I really have no side effects at this dose.
On 8mg I had mild constipation. I feel like sub saved my life. I was using iv dilaudid and morphine for four years.
I was going to loose my family,RN job, everything if I didn't quit.

Sub takes away our cravings as well as stoping withdrawl. It gives us time to work on ourselves....to distance ourselves from the addictive behaviors. When and if a person decides to quit sub they can do a slow taper with not much difficulty.
Don't even stress on the sub w/d horror stories. Quiting sub can be done.

In the end it is a personal decision. Just stick around the forum and educate yourself.

Good luck to you. Let us know if we can answer any more questions you have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 am 

I understand why you're nervous. There are a lot of stories here that cast suboxone in a negative light, but I think Amber is absolutely correct. And I loved the way she phrased it, "when you feel bad, that's when you need support and empathy." There are not only people who don't post much because they are doing well, but there are probably a bunch of people who have tapered off successfully, and haven't come back to this site.

I know that it's hard to think about having to withdraw a little before going on the sub, but it's really not that difficult, especially with helper meds like clonidine and xanax. Just make sure that you have a support person to be with you during that time and to drive you to your appointment. In my case, I felt pretty bad going in to the doctor's office, but felt very good and "normal" by the time I left. I have been on sub for over 4 months now, and I'm doing well.

There are some legitimate reasons that some people want to end their use of sub. #1. Suboxone is expensive! With insurance, suboxone is much more affordable, but still not cheap. I'll use my insurance situation as an example. Over a year's time on suboxone, I will have to pay our out-of-pocket deductible of $1500. Following that, I will have to pay about $65/month just on the sub and a little bit more for each appointment. Reason #2. It can be hard finding a reliable sub doctor, the doctor could go out of business, etc., leaving the patient up the creek and unable to get another prescription. In that case, the patient is left to do a quick, painful taper without the doctor for guidance or medical support. #3. Some people would prefer not to be on any medication at all, especially because of the stigma sub brings with it. There can be judgement on the part of some if they find out you're on an addiction medication. These are a few of the reasons someone might want to stop.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I knew from the get go that I would be on either suboxone or methadone for the remainder of my life when I first sought out help two years ago. I have countless relapses and I am finally in the state of mind to accept that I am chronic. I take methadone. I tried suboxone twice and although I did indeed feel relief it was short lived and now since I am on methadone and require such a high dosage it is evident that suboxone would not work for me forever as suboxone works very well for most people but if you require over 200 mgs of methadone suboxone more than likely will not work and I tried it twice but the expense was too much for me also I had to settle with methadone and am glad I did as it cost $250 per month maintenance fee plus the pills with no insurance. Methadone Doctors in my area believe in staying on methadone for as long as you desire so no pressure to come off. If I thought I would have to deal with a doctor taking me off my medicine it would scare the hell out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks to all of u guys!!! i think i'm just gettin anxious. i've gotta get through 4 more days...then i have my appt. i had a bit of clarity this wknd...anything's gotta be better than what i'm doing or what i've done!! scared of making another bad step...not sure i have many left in my life. i think i've used'em all up. thank u so much for taking the time to respond to my post. i'm praying that i'm taking the right steps to save my life. just gotta last a few more days.

much love,
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. You've gotten some really great responses. Personally, I've been on suboxone for both pain and addiction for nearly 3 1/2 years now. I'm extremely happy with my treatment.

I have very few side effects and due to my pain issues, I'll probably be on it for life. And even if I didn't have chronic pain, I might stay on it for life anyway. I fear relapse so much....and I so HATE the person I used to be that for me, taking one more medication is a tiny price to pay. It's like a safety net. Of course, I'm only guessing at how I might feel in a different situation. But opiate addiction is a deadly disease,like you said, so why not treat it is such?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.