It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Getting below 4mg.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello all,
I have been a member on here for quite some time, but took some time away. I have been on sub since April of last year (2013) and have gone from 20 down to 4mg daily. At my last dr visit, I got bumped down to 3 MG per day. I feel like crap. I really had no difficulty getting down to 4, but 3 has been bad for me. How long will it take to stabilize on 3mg? I really need some encouragement and any advice for getting down these last few mgs as my Dr said it's typical to now start to drop one MG per month. I'm scared. Also, when do you guys dose once you get down on the lower doses? Morning or night? Split? Anyone have any thoughts or advice for me?

Post subject: Re: Getting below 4mg.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy, can you define 'crap'? Are you getting through the day more or less ok?

I've been tapering down from 8 mg/day since Christmas, and it was fairly painless until I reached 1.5 - 1 mg/day. The real difficulty is more emotional than physical; I'm dealing with a lot of emotions I haven't really felt since I started using heroin 15 years ago, and grieving some personal losses that happened during the worst years of my addiction.

On the physical side, I've felt the reductions from 1.5 down to 1, and now from 1 down to .75 mg/day, but it's relatively minor and totally manageable. I notice a decrease in energy, motivation and mental sharpness, plus some sneeziness and that kind of stuff, but I'm still able to put in full work days, hit the gym or pool more or less daily, and still have the energy to do stuff in the evening.

I aim to be down to be down to .25 or .125 mg/day by mid-June, then start skipping days. Can't wait to see what that's like, lol.

-- JI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Crap: neck and shoulders hurt. Body feels tired and wore down. I feel like the majority of my motivation has disappeared. I don't feel sad but sorta dull. I am noticing that I feel just slightly irritable, not totally snappy, but on the verge.

I know it would definitely help me to get in a workout or five (lol), but I just was hoping someone would chime in with other ways they dealt with the yuck feelings that come with tapering. I'm also scared and get a lot of anxious feelings knowing my Dr wants me to keep dropping at the rate of one mg per month or so. I guess bc each of my drops previously had been so painless and easy, to be honest.
Being at three mg now, I take 1mg sometime before noon, and then two mg before I go to sleep. I'm not sure if this is the best way though, bc I find myself waking up at 3am and almost wanting to stay awake bc that is the time I feel best - body doesn't hurt, I'm not exhausted, etc. So I end up being up and doing laundry and being semi productive in the middle of the night. As I type this it seems that the answer then is maybe to dose just in the morning. But I guess I'm so used to dosing before bed that I'm leary that without dosing before bed I won't be able to sleep, and I will feel even more unproductive during the day. (Whenever I take my sub, I tend to get a little sleepy about a half hour later and that sleepy feeling lasts for an hour or so). When do you guys take your dose?
Any comments or suggestions would still be greatly appreciated!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I normally take my dose (.75 mg/day) in the morning, before I head out for the day. I know some people like to split up there dose, but once-a-day has been working for me, and I generally feel fine in the evening.

I was going to try stopping totally when I reached 1 mg/day, but I decided not to try this. A couple more weeks extra on Suboxone is no big deal (though I'm eager to get off it), and I figure the lower doses (i.e. .75, .5, .25) might help and won't hurt.

In terms of anxiety, have you tried meditation? There are probably some good guided meditation recordings available on line, and they might help. I meditate in the morning and in evening, I find that doing this smooths out extreme moods.

-- JI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello again! So I have been trying out the single dosing the last three days now. I have taken all three mgs in the morning each morning. Thankfully, I have not had any trouble falling asleep at night. In fact, last night I'm pretty sure I slept the best I have in years possibly. I normally wake up in the middle of the night, at the very least to use the restroom a time or two. This morning I woke up and my bladder actually hurt it was so full. But it was nice to have slept all night. I also noticed that this morning Iwas not tired at all after I got the kids off to school, like I normally am. I hope it's not a fluke and that I can get myself on a better schedule by dosing only once a day, in the am. It will be so great if it wworks out that way, bc I think lowering my dose will be easier when I feel more "level" so to speak with my energy and sleep schedule.
As for the anxiety, yes, I actually have just begun meditating. I just started like a week ago. I'm still in that stage where I'm learning to keep my mind quiet, but I do think it will be a helpful tool for me.
Thanks so much for your replies, I really appre ciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It usually takes a week or so to stabilize on a new dose once you're below the "ceiling" level of Suboxone. Some people notice the ceiling to be around 4mg or so, some it's as low as 2mg, or lower. Also, some people stabilize on their new dose fairly quickly, a week or so. Some people stabilize on their new dose after 2 or 3 weeks.

The fact that your doctor is cutting your dose by 1mg each month means your percentage of drop is increasing, which is cuckoo. Going from 4mg to 3mg is a 25% drop. Going from 3mg to 2mg is a 33% drop. Going from 2mg to 1mg is a 50% drop.

Once someone gets below the ceiling dose, we usually recommend 10% drops.....25% at most.

Yes, meditation is a great tool, keep practicing it.