It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Getting below 2mg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:35 pm 

Okay, I stabilized at 2mgs for a week. Today I took 1.50mgs. Is that about right? It was hard getting down to 2, I had to do the 2.5, 2, 2.5, 2, 2, 2.

I read a lot of taper stories on higher doses but it is difficult to judge how much is how much. I bend the strips in two and then cut it roughly in half. How the heck do you figure out the amount getting down below .25? It is only crumbs or small parts.

When I did the survey, that was one of my suggestions. Have them manufacture a Sub film in 1 and .50 large strips with score marks so we can all taper correctly. I also suggested they make comfort meds too, but that is asking too much.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule,

You're down to 2mg!! Yippee!! Now you're going down to 1.5mg......hell yeah!! The jump from 2mg to 1.5mg is 25%, it's not unreasonable at all.

Your mind and body will tell you if a 25% drop is right for you.

As far as figuring out the sizes of the strips when they get small, I ain't got a clue, I'll leave that one for the experts!!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:52 pm 

Romeo,

Laddertipper has been successful in her taper journey. You even listed a taper schedule that made me smile. I want to see the measuring device I'll use to get to .0185 or whatever!

I'll just do it the old fashioned way. Cut in half, half again, repeat.

Tomorrow I'll take 2mg's then the next day 1.50 and etc, like I did to get to 2mgs.

The real scary part is that I AM doing this. It has been almost 10 years of opiate use so living a life w/o some kind of mind altering drug will be good. Hell, I was sober from alcohol for 14 years before I got addicted to Vics. Life was good and after a few years I never really thought about using anything. An ice tea, some sunflower seeds, and a good movie was all I needed back then.

My doctor was high fiving me for getting down to 2mg's from the 4 is was on the month prior. Instead of writing the script for 2mg's films X's 30, he doubled it so I could skip a month or more. He even gave me Clonidine and Valium (5mg) for the jump. I said wouldn't it be better to wait until I'm ready to stop? He said no, he has faith in me that I'll do it very soon. Yikes! The anxiety is setting in already. And no, I have not filled the scripts yet. I have been taking 1mg of Xanax at the end of the day and know I shouldn't be doing that either. Damn, it sucks being an addict/alkie.

Thanks for the support my brother,

Rule62

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 pm 
You are doing great. Keep tapering slowly. Just use the valium and xanax judiciously, don't treat symptoms that you aren't having, my doc says if your're having them, use them. Clonidine is the best. Hang in, I am really excited for you!

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule,

Yes, laddertipper is doing a fantastic job with her taper. She's also a recovering alcoholic, like you are. I believe this November marks 6 years of sobriety for her. As for how she measures her doses of Suboxone, I'm not sure. I think she uses some kind of Integral Calculus matched with a Scanning Tunneling Electron Microscope?? :lol:

Before I get into this next part of my reply, you get a smack on the wrist for taking 1mg of Xanax at the end of the day!! Pardon my french, but are you fucking nuts?? Xanax and all the other benzo's are 10 times harder than opiates to get off of!! Don't make me fly out to Nevada and kick your arse!!! Have you gone to any meetings yet?? What are ya waiting for??

OK, I think I've beat you up enough for one night......maybe I'll swat ya again tomorrow......all depends on what kind of mood I'm in!! :lol:

You had mentioned about your 10 years on opiates and how the thought of getting off of them would be scary. Another fella in another thread just asked me about life without opiates, so instead of writing it all out again, I just copied it over to this thread. I know you didn't ask me about my opinion of life without drugs, but I figured I'd give it to ya anyway. Phew, I'm just full of myself tonight, ain't I? LOL

Here it is:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey kinevol,

You asked how is life without subs for me, well, it's been a lot of things. It's been exhilarating, it's been scary as hell, it's nice to be free of all opiates, but it's also hard being free of all opiates, it's nice to not have to wake up and reach for a pill. I take an anti-depressant and I take blood pressure medication, I forget to take my dang blood pressure medication all the time, I forgot to take my anti-depressant the other day and I never noticed any ill effects when I missed a dose of either of those medications. When I was on Suboxone, I never forgot a dose. If I did somehow miss a dose, I would know pretty dang quick that I missed my dose!

I say it's been exhilarating because for the first time in my adult life, I am completely narcotic free!! That gives me a sense of pride that's amazing to me.

I say it's been scary as hell because I know I am just one hit away from total devastation. I now know that I can NOT use drugs successfully, but I still worry about a relapse. I'm an addict, the threat of drug use will always be an issue for me. I'm working my recovery program and doing the other things that a recovering addict needs to do, I have faith that I can live without drugs.

I said it's hard to be free of all opiates, opiates always gave me a boost and now I have to re-train my brain to provide myself with that boost naturally and that's been a real challenge for me. I go to work everyday, I go to meetings most every night, I'm married and have a wonderful daughter and they help give me a boost, but any "downtime" I have has been kind of difficult for me to deal with......I used to occupy my normal time with drug use and my downtime was occupied by excessive drug use. Honest to God, I'm still learning how to live my life without drugs. It's easier said than done, but I ain't giving up. I'm trying to put the same energy into my recovery that I used to put into finding and using drugs.....that's a lot of dang energy!!!

All in all, I'm just thrilled to be off of drugs!! Learning to live drug free is difficult, but it's also very rewarding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My advice to you, don't be afraid, BE PREPARED!! Get your butt to some meetings now and start putting your recovery into high gear man!!

You got this man, we're right there with ya!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great job Rule62! I'm definitely with you on "doing it the old fashioned way" i.e. cut in half...repeat. Did you read the recent post from the person who stayed at .25 mg for like 8 mos and then didn't have any WD? I'm very intrigued by that. Maybe it was just enough bupe on the receptors to ward off symptoms, while at the same time the effects would be so minimal that the person would feel like they were completely free of Sub. I'm seriously thinking about going that route now. So once I get back down to 2mg (again) I would go to 1.5, 1, 0.5, 0.25. But I think if I were to experience major WD's at any of those drops, I would just jump and tough out the rest of the WD instead of dragging it out.
Good luck to you, you're doing a great job.
Lilly