It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Everyone,
I am in desperate need of advice. I have been on vicodin for over 3 yrs (for fibromyalga) and recently am up to 6 10mg/day. I have run out a few days early in the past few months and this last time was able to get 2 8mg suboxone tabs for w/d's. I only have one left (have been taking 2mg/day) and now have my refill of vicodin but don't want to be on either one. I suffered thru terrible w/d's for 3 days b/4 getting the sub and was wondering if I taper the sub in the next 4 days or so how the w/d's will be? I've heard short term sub use is better so I really don't want to get on a program but need to move in the next 3 wks (have sold my house) and have to be able to function. I am also a single mom of two kids with really no support. Please let me know what my options are and what to expect as far as w/d's from the sub if I don't restart the hydrocodone, I'm very nervous, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no guaranteed answer to your dilemma. Every situation is unique and considering your vicodin use was for pain management for fibromyalgia, I have to ask the question, What will you do to manage your pain? I ask because I had a similar situation, being on opiates for pain. I stayed on Suboxone for almost three years. Now I am off of everything and trying to manage pain with general OTC's- it is difficult to do, but I am doing it.
The brain changes that come from opiate use can last for quite some time- please consider posting here to get support from people who understand what you are going through. I wish I could give you some answers, hopefully some other members who have had similar situations to yours will offer some advice and support.
Take care-SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lori and welcome to the forum,

I personally don't believe sub is necessarily better in the short term. Many of us are on it for maintenance - like myself. I was similar to you - I have fibromyalgia and was on a butt-load of pain pills. I've been on suboxone now for about 18 months. I'm staying on it because I have no other pain control options. The suboxone DOES relieve some of my pain, some days more than others. I use it in conjunction with a muscle relaxer and for the most part the remaining pain is tolerable. With suboxone there is no need to keep increasing the dose and my head is CLEAR! That's the best part.

I can't really speak to what your withdrawals will be like, but chances are you just postponed the pain med withdrawals by taking a few subs for a few days.

I don't know if this helps or not; and keep in mind I'm not a medical professional. Please let us know how you're doing and again, welcome to the forum - I hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: fibro, options
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much Hatmake and Shelwoy!!

I don't seem to have the pain I used to when I started on the meds for fibro, the times I've been off the vicodin for short periods, the mental part far outweighs the physical pain at this point. So I guess I really don't know where my baseline pain level is. I'd like to go off everything but still have the option of restarting if I need to. Thank you again for your support, I'll stick around and let everyone know how it goes!