It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi, I've been on Suboxone for almost 4 months now and I'm starting to get worried that my Dr. may drop me because I dont use his "preferred" pharmacy. I'll explain: On my very first visit to my addiction Dr. (before i even met him) the nurse expained to me about the pharmacy all this Dr's patients used was just down the road and how "wonderful" the person that ran it was etc. etc. she even handed me a google map with directions there from the very office i was in. I told the nurse that it sounded like a great place and all but that since my insurance was through a Union directly associated with a national grocery chain ,that i had to go to a Union grocery store. Her attitude immdeiately changed and she looked at my paperwork and said the Dr. would be in shortly. I then met with the Dr. and all went well until we got to the part about where I needed to go to get the medication (he does not give any doses in office) and he went into the "hard sell" about the pharmacy down the street, I listened and explained again about the only choice i had was between 2 union grocery chains in our area. He abruptly puffed up and said he had never heard of such a thing (you would think an addiction Dr would know that a pill addict would know all about their insurance right?) he looked again at my paperwork and said he was sure they would take my insurance, in fact he said his "preferred" pharmacy already has my prescription filled and waiting for me. I said ok and went there and sure enough they had it all ready for me..after the consult I explained that my insurance would not pay them because they werent a union grocery store so then they told me to step aside while they made some calls..20 minutes later they told me that I had to go to a union grocery store for my insurance to cover it!! So now every time i go to my Dr's office he says "oh youre the one that can only go to (insert national grocery store name here) to get your RX filled and we fake laugh a little..My question is..does the Dr get money from the pharmacy? and if he isnt getting all the money he can from me, could he drop me for someone that he could get more money from?..on my last visit he said i had tested positive for hydros which is a lie because i havent used or even drank since day one with him..so i got to thinking that maybe hes setting it up to drop me because of the pharmacy issue..or am i being paranoid?..sorry so darn long a post

Post subject: Could Be
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 pm 

When I first saw the topic on your post I thought that it wasn't a possibility for a Dr. to refer patients to a pharmacy. But after reading your story I sure changed my mind. Yes it does sound like he is getting kick backs from the pharmacy to send Suboxone patients to them. With Suboxone being such an expensive drug they may be making a ton of money from the Dr. and are sharing some of the booty with him.

If it were me and I had the ability to change Suboxone doctors, I would. Then I'd report him to the medical board and see what happens. It may or may not be illegal to do what he is doing. If he stops giving decent treatment to his patients because of pharmacy choice then he needs to be reported. IMO he and his staff seem a bit shady to me.

So what is your plan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd look for another doctor ,,, just over the "testing positive for hydros" thing!!! I mean, only YOU know if you did it, but Im guessing your telling the truth, bcuz you'd have nothing to gain here, for lying.

Anyways, Im with rule, on changing doctors for the reasons he's listed too. I know its not the easiest thing, and its stressful, but it may be more stressful to think your gonna get 'fired' from your current doctor, right?

I do not envy your position here, at all.
Also, have you thought about out right ASKING the doctor, if he's going to "drop" you, becuz of your need to use a different pharmacy???
Im always one to look at the brighter side, I mean maybe, hes unaware of his biast attitude? maybe you asking him out right, may give him a change of heart?? You could do that and still look for a new doctor!! LOL

gosh, Im sorry your going thru this.
Good Luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for the reply, i think i shoud go with my gut instinct(and yours) and find a new dr. my next appt is in a few weeks so i have time and medicine to last but with that "false positive" on my record do you think a new dr will believe me? they do kinda stick together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow, sorry you have to deal with this. In most cases doctors do not get paid from the pharmacies. They are separate businesses and doctors should not get paid more for doing their job. In the scenario it sounds to me like your doctor is getting paid from the pharmacy. Because suboxone is so expensive and you’re dealing with a local pharmacy, the pharmacy is able to charge however much they want for it. I am thinking the pharmacy is charging much, much more than most chain pharmacies and is paying the doctor per the number of films they sell.

For example, let's say the normal price for 60 suboxone films is $375 at pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens, the pharmacy is raises the price to $500 for 60 films, and because the insurance is paying for it, it doesn't make a difference for the patient, so they are making an additional $125 and giving the doctor $50. Multiply an extra $50 per patient times the maximum amount of patients, which is 100, so they are making $5000 more a month, which is a lot of extra money. The pharmacy is filling many more prescriptions and has a consistent flow of people overpaying for their meds. Remember, I made all of these numbers up, but I think that the doctor is involved in some sort of agreement similar to the one I explained.

This probably violates some sort of rule, but I am not sure. Although I am completely sure he setting you up to get kicked out of his program because you aren't giving into his 'standard patient procedures'. I doubt this is the only case of a doctor milking his practice for every extra cent it's worth. If I were you, I'd try to find a new doctor and then report his ass for all of his wrong doings. Good luck! Anyone have any other theories as to what is going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for all the wise responses, i have to admit that i'm a bit afraid to "rock the boat" with switching dr's and raising any red flags with my insurance even though its the best course of action. I guess i'm a little frustrated with myself for first letting the drugs have sooooo much control over my life and now it seems like the dr and pharmacy have a high level of control over me. I have virtualy no one in real life to talk with about anything to do with suboxone so i really appreciate this site and all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, you dont necessarily have to tell your NEW suboxone doctor, about the current one. They cant share ANY information, without you signing a form saying so.
So, dont worry about the false + on your record!!

On the OTHER hand, you may have to pay the 'induction" fees agian. Cuz if you dont disclose your previous doctors information, well, you know the drill by now.

so thats up to you!!!
You've got many decisions coming up!!

Remember, YOU ARE IN CONTROL, of YOUR treatment. Thats why your looking for a new doctor. Dont let them 'get your goat' keep fighting for whats right for YOU,,,,,
after all
THIS IS YOUR LIFE, not thiers!!!

(im feeling inspirational today)

GOOD LUCK my friend.
Let me know if I can help , at all :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/