It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I get a buzz from subs..
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been using heroin for four years. IV since last June. I am a pretty big person too 6 foot 1 195 pounds. Sometimes...not all the times..i can get a buzz from suboxone. Usually when I'm meditating I notice it really heavy. Or like an hour or two after I take it it's like a warm feeling. Last year before I started IVing a fourth of a Suboxone would get me.ROCKED for like a whole day like really high. Is this bad that I get a buzz from suboxone? Most of the time I forget I even took sub, or am like wow I can't believe suboxone is making me.feel normal...but other times I get high from it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Is this bad that I get a buzz from suboxone?

I stopped taking you seriously long ago, seeker.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 am 

Well this is the second separate post of yours so far this morning Seeker that I've saw with nothing but complaining about suboxone. It's also the second separate thread u have mentioned getting blowed away or rocked by the high off suboxone. U were answered by Dr Junig, the founder of the forum, on ur previous 'blown away' comments, why start a new thread about it again when u were already discussing it? That makes it seem like ur trying to provoke drama to me. I could be wrong but................

I'm gonna say this one last time to u...... if u truly were a heroin user, especially IV, there's no way suboxone rocked ur world for an entire day or an entire hour. Maybe if u didn't do any opiates for awhile and lowered ur tolerance, u may feel a sense of 'better' or more energy, but that's it. Come on man, ur the type of person fueling the ppl who only think we get high from this medication. Those ppl that swear suboxone isn't helping us and literally know nothing about what addicts go through in recovery. Ur fueling that by acting like ur getting high randomly off suboxone.

Lord have mercy :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No buzz here.

But the first time I went on buprenorphine (Subutex) 4mg when I was 18 or 19, I was only shooting up heroin once or twice a week beforehand. I got SMASHED from the Subutex, so much so the doctor reduced me down to 2mg a few days later. So yes Suboxone is a potent opioid. If it wasn't it wouldn't be the effective substitution therapy it is.

It's quite obvious you enjoy writing posts to be controversial, which is fine. I do the same thing in 12-step forums when I'm bored. Say something like "my higher power is better than yours" or "have you checked out SMART recovery?" and "heaps of people get clean without 12-steps!".

It's called trolling. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely don't believe OP. Based besides the points JennJenn made but that he says he gets high sometimes and other times it makes him just feel normal. Suboxone in my experience and from reading other's tales really is a medication of consistency, like it should be. Unless OP is getting it off the street and taking it with time intervals in between at varying tolerances due to street opioid use of random, I just see no way this could possibly happen. After a few days of taking the medication there should be zero chance of a 'high' in anyone with any kind of tolerance..

Crazy you had that effect though, TeeJay. I had what should have been close to zero tolerance and was put on at 8mg 3x a day and its been just right ever since. Same as the day I started... it just makes me feel right and sane.

I know especially in instances of low tolerance, and especially the first couple/few doses, there is a window of possibility for a high to happen. But that window should close and I just don't believe anybody taking it consistently could get random results.

Idk trolling is one thing but trolling to spread misinformation inside something you ideologically oppose destroys any moral high ground you claim to have, if the person is indeed just trolling this forum due to suboxone beef.

It saved my life and I don't believe you. If it got me high it would have contributed to destroying me and I wouldnt be able to keep the same dose for 4 months.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Iggy I'm glad you're doing so well on your suboxone and I know exactly how you feel when you say it saved your life... it did for me too. The original poster of this thread seems to have left us. His personality was very negative and it seemed like he wanted us all to suffer with him. I honestly felt really bad for him and had compassion for his suffering.

But it became more obvious that nothing we could say would satisfy his further need for more negativity. People like that can suck the life out of a decent and caring forum like this one. I sincerely hope that Seeker sought some help for his depression and I only wish the best for him. But I for one am glad he's no longer posting here. It turned out not to be a very good fit.

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 am 

I agree iggy! Buprenorphine, taken every day like ur supposed to, isn't going to randomly get u high one day and then make u feel normal the next day.... that's just not how it works. Seeker really liked to say big statements and get ppl to react.

One thing I've always thought about is how ppl who don't know anything about buprenorphine see it being sold on the streets, they link it to just another drug ppl are trying to get high on. What they don't realize is that addicts in active addiction aren't really seeking out sub on the street to get high, they're buying the sub to keep from getting sick! It's not the same reason ppl are buying oxycodone or morphine or heroin. So I totally cringe when I see someone talking about suboxone getting them high, we fight so much stigma every single day and statements like that is not helping at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great points everyone. The other day I was quoted in an article about Vivitrol-- here it is: https://www.propublica.org/article/vivitrol-opiate-crisis-and-criminal-justice -- and if you read it, you will see the stigma we are up against with buprenorphine!

You'll see my negative comment about Vivitrol about halfway through the story. And if you go the the 'comments', you'll see my more-negati,ve comment about the judge in the story! BTW, you see my plug for the forum or blog..... if anyone ever feels motivated, consider leaving a comment, even with a fake name from a fake Google account, and include the name of the forum (unless, of course, you are threatening to blow up the White House!!). Those little 'plugs' are how this forum started... and they help keep new visitors stopping by!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 pm 

Wow Dr Junig I read that and I will comment on that article. Some of the things these ppl said is ridiculous!

Here's a few things out of the many I found utterly ridiculous......

This Moses guy referring to ppl on buprenorphine as 'suboxone zombies' and suboxone is a replacement therapy not a curative therapy' Are u kidding me, there's no cure for addiction plus this is a judge not a doctor and him thinking he can tell someone what recovery they should do is ridiculous. He told a poor addict who'd missed some appointments or failed a drug screen to 'man up, life is hard' that just shows he knows nothing about addiction other than seeing ppl who's addicted in court. He knows nothing about how this disease works. Just grab a tshirt ppl for doing so well in Vivitrol Court. Wow. And one of his main success stories relapsed after a year and one overdosed and died. Only half the ppl came bk for a second shot! The criminal justice system should not be allowed to give the ultimatum of jail time or Vivitrol, that is my opinion.

My clinic offers the shot but I haven't heard wonderful things about it at all. I've heard it makes ppl really sick at first, even if they've not taken a thing for almost a week, I heard some say they still got sick. I have no judgement on anyone taking the shot and if it works for them that's awesome. What I don't like is how this company is marketing Vivitrol. I don't like the negativity towards buprenorphine at all.

That was an interesting article, I encourage everyone to check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on long acting naltrexone before. Sure it wasn't Vivitrol, but it was a naltrexone implant, so the concept is the same. Implant just lasts 3 months instead of 1 month.

One thing that is little known about naltrexone is that, when used for opioid addiction, it actually provides a LITTLE bit of craving management. Not much, and nowhere near to the extent of buprenorphine, but it's just enough to take the edge off. That combined with the powerful psychological effect of knowing that any use of opioids is akin to throwing money down the drain, makes naltrexone a tool of potential promise in treating opioid addiction.

However the theory doesn't really match the reality. What happens to most people once their depot / implant naltrexone wears off is that, just like when someone's Suboxone wears off, cravings return full force. Just like when a person comes off methadone or Suboxone, the vast majority relapse in this period. Sure they might not be in the throws of detox and physical withdrawal like a person coming off methadone or Suboxone, but the force of the psychological cravings that kick in when naltrexone wears off are enough to throw a lot of people off the recovery wagon.

And this is when the real risk kicks in. Unlike methadone and buprenorphine, a person who's been on naltrexone has the opioid tolerance of someone who has NEVER taken any opioids, ever. If they even consider using an amount that's comparable to what they once used when they were addicted, or even half that dose, they can keel over and die.

This is why naltrexone has fallen out of favour in Australia in treating opioid addiction. IMO it should only be reserved for special cases when a person isn't allowed to take Suboxone due to their occupation (pilot or doctor).

I also have suspicions that just like in the case of Suboxone and methadone, naltrexone doesn't actually allow the brain to recovery in the same way as a person on nothing at all. This is just me theorising. But I noticed that when my naltrexone implant wore off, my levels of cravings felt like someone who had just been discharged from an acute detox facility. ie I felt like someone who had just kicked opioids and gotten over the withdrawals, not like someone who had actually been off opioids for 3 months like I had been. Maybe this is the reason why many relapse when they stop taking naltrexone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

The only reason that naltrexone is seen as a superior medication over buprenorphine or methadone is that people like this judge can say, "See?? We are not allowing addicts to swap one opioid medication for another! Look at us, aren't we great?"

It doesn't matter to these people how buprenorphine changes the behavior of addicts from being in active addiction to living a normal life, including the ability to hold down a job. No, they see naltrexone as doing the exact same thing, when it is inferior for all the reasons TJ and others have said. I'm sure that this judge doesn't want to hear about it. He just wants to pat himself on the back for all the "good" he's doing. Ignorant!!

Amy