It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys... Thought it would be good to post a place where people with new info on up-and-coming generic alternatives can let us all know.

Some of the ones that come to mind are BEMA and Zubsolv (Orexo)... Just heard about Zubsolv today. It actually seems like the closest product to being released to the public.

Quote:
Zubsolvâ„¢ (OX219) - against opioid dependence

The aim of OX219 is to create a new, patentable drug for the treatment of various forms of opioid dependence. The active substance in OX219, buprenorphine, has documented good efficacy in the treatment of opioid abuse within the framework of medical, social and psychological rehabilitation. Buprenorphine is effective against withdrawal symptoms and blocks the “high” effects of other opioids. OX219 also contains naloxone, which counteracts "high" effect that may arise following the intravenous injection of a disolved tablet. Combining buprenorphine and naloxone in a single tablet reduces the risk of intravenous abuse and illegal dealing.
Project status
In the third quarter of 2011, positive results were reported in a phase I study with OX219, that is being developed to treat opioid dependence. The purpose of this study was to decide the final commercial formulation and dose for the product. The chosen formulation is based on Orexo's proprietary sublingual technology. Further development of the program is progressing and the next step is pre-registration studies that will be initiated in the first half of 2012. The registration application is scheduled to be submitted in 2013.
Market
The global market for products for the treatment of opioid dependence currently amounts to 1.4 billion USD and is expected in 2019 to amount to 2.2 billion USD (Datamonitor, 2010).

It is a sublingual tablet, however its delivery seems much more advanced than your standard Suboxone tablet. Apparently these guys have patented a method of sublingual tablet delivery that has bioavailable well over that of the existing Suboxone tablet.

http://www.bdsi.com/Other_BEMA_Products.aspxhttp://finance.yahoo.com/news/orexo-provides-simplified-market-situation-134300306.html

Also there's BEMA:

Quote:
BEMA® Buprenorphine/Naloxone

Opioid dependence is a significantly undertreated condition in the U.S., with nearly 2 million people dependent on prescription opioids according to the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Opioid dependence is a medical diagnosis that is characterized by the inability of an individual to stop using opioids, both prescription opioids such as morphine, hydrocodone and oxycodone, as well as illicit opioids such as heroin, even when it is in the best interest of the individual to do so. Opioid dependence is a complex medical condition that often requires long-term treatment and care. The treatment of opioid dependence is important to reduce both the associated health and social consequences and to improve the well-being and social functioning of people affected.

The main goals of treating persons with opioid dependence are to reduce dependence on illicit drugs, reduce morbidity and mortality, improve physical and psychological health, reduce criminal behavior, facilitate reintegration into the workforce and education system and to improve social functioning. The ultimate achievement of a drug free-state is the ideal and ultimate objective, but this may not be feasible for all individuals with opioid dependence, especially in the short term. As no single treatment is effective for all individuals with opioid dependence, diverse treatment options are needed, including psychosocial approaches and pharmacological treatment.

Buprenorphine/naloxone is widely used in the treatment of opioid dependence and is marketed as Suboxone®. Suboxone® (buprenorphine and naloxone), which was approved for the treatment of opioid dependence in 2002, has been shown to be a highly effective treatment option. Suboxone® is available in both sublingual tablet and sublingual film formulations. Accordingly to Wolters Kluwer, U.S. sales of Suboxone® exceeded $1.2 billion in 2011 and continue to steadily grow. Buprenorphine works by reducing the craving and withdrawal effects from the dependent opioid, and the opioid antagonist naloxone, is present to deter abuse.

BioDelivery Sciences is developing BEMA® Buprenorphine/Naloxone, or BNX, which uses BDSI's proprietary BioErodible MucoAdhesive (BEMA®) delivery technology, for the treatment of opioid dependence. BNX would provide BDSI with an opportunity to compete in the large and rapidly growing opioid dependence market.

BNX contains the same drug components as Suboxone®, the only currently marketed formulation of buprenorphine and naloxone, and pharmacokinetic studies have demonstrated the ability of the BEMA® technology to deliver doses of buprenorphine needed for the treatment of opioid dependence. BDSI believes BNX has the potential to offer advantages over Suboxone® and could seize a meaningful share of this rapidly growing market.

BNX is currently in late stage clinical development and is anticipated to be filed with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for review in the first half of 2013.

Of course there's also Titan Pharmaceuticals with their implant. However given that's an entirely new product maybe it needs its own thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Both of the above a patentable and will therefore be expensive. If only doctors could be educated to just prescribe generic Subutex - even if they only use it for people with no IV history. That would still cover a lot of people and save millions of dollars.

The doc at the IOP I went to actually told patients that the Naloxone is active in the Sublinual tablet - so if you take too much the Naloxone will kick in and put you into WD, or if you take an opiate while on Sub you will go into precipitated withdrawals. I honestly don't know if he believes this for real, or if his is just trying to scare people into compliance. Either way it's wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not necessarily. Sure their delivery method might be patented but that's not so much the issue. The reason generic medication is cheaper is because there's more competition (usually 2 or 3 companies making the medication) and because they've gotta make it cheaper than the "original" for people to buy it.

Once there's 2 or 3 Suboxone products on the market, prices should go down regardless of whether each company has their own unique patented delivery system.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Phantom Generics?!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a weird comment to make. I was pretty sure that there were no suboxone generics available.....but just the other day when I was doing some research, I stumbled upon a site that showed some suboxone labels and about two or three were for the tablets -but they had other pharmeceutical names other than Reckitt Benkiser on them. Has anyone else seen these? Does RB have other companies that distribute the suboxone tablets for it? Feedback please! Meanwhile, I will try to locate the link.

PS- Yes, I have heard about BEMA suboxone strips -slightly different technology...it actually adheres to the side of the mouth. I agree....even though it would have its own patent, just having some competition in the suboxone market would tend to bring prices down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone is a registered trademark of RB. They might have other packaging for different countries, but they shouldn't have another company name on them. (unless they're illegal). I'm curious to see the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am sorry. I double-checked the website last night and I was wrong. I was looking at labels for subutex not suboxone. I guess I did not read them carefully the first time. I knew it sounded quite odd that there were suboxone generics because none are supposed to come out until 2013! :oops: