It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: generic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actavis is shipping immediately! The other company said early march! Woooooohooooo! FINALLY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Good find!! I am so glad that the time has finally come around.

I wonder: the price of the generics, if they'll be flavored like suboxone or if they'll taste like chemicals similar to generic buprenorphine, if the prices of suboxone go down to compete, and the form of the drug i.e. if it'll be a tablet, film, or possibly something else.

About time those greedy bastards at Reckitt Benkiser have competition. Oh wait, I feel so bad that the ones in charge of RB will have to suffer and ride in midsize jets and yachts and not the usual large cabin yachts and jets!! I couldn't imagine the hell that must be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 pm 

This is great news! I had no idea that the generic would be available so quickly after the FDA's decision!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Big changes in the world of Suboxone happening about now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I myself am wondering about the costs as well. They are saying that they will be orange flavored just like the brand from one of the sites that I ran up on looking around Google. There is a picture if you search on Google that shows the bottle of the generic and shows what the pill will look like.
I am hoping that it is atleast half cheaper than what I am paying for now. I am already investing that money that I will save into my 'fix my teeth" fund. My teeth are a wreck from my first daughters pregnancy and then taking all those pills for so many years. I basically gave up caring about brushing for a long time, I mean I did it but not like I was supposed to do.
It is going to be amazing to get a cheaper medication, my doctor at my last visit said that it would be early summer but they are saying that they are shipping immediately. That is just insane, I cant believe they are coming out this fast. I know it might be corny but I sent the companies that got their generic Suboxone a email this evening thanking them for pushing through with this.
I think the ones of us who are thankful should do this and show our appreciation. Like I said it might be corny but I am not kidding, when I read the news I cried. I needed some good news today. Arthritis has been making my hands cramp and I have been having hormone roller coasters lately.
I am hoping that this will be available to us by atleast the next month or so. I might wind up in the ER though, when I hear the price of the generic, I might hit the floor and bang my head. LOL......
This just proves that there is companies out there that are willing to fight the bigger corporations that are taking advantage of the poor people. There was a statement in one of the stories that I read that said, Physicians should have no concern prescribing this lower cost generic. The only thing that I might not like is digging out my pill cutter again, but who cares???LOL
I am just so happy, lets just hope that this is cheaper by a decent amount. Keep yall's fingers crossed guys and gals. Money saving time is coming YAYYY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This is a re-post of one I replied in another thread but didn’t realize it wasn't one to respond in. Here is what I said with revised typos.

I have mixed feelings about RB. Recently they have been trying to corner the market and create a monopoly allowing them to overcharge the ones in need. With the 100 patient cap there seems to be no shortage of us desperate addicts wanting their services. Their profit margin has got to be through the roof. If probably costs them a $1 (if that) to produce each strip and then they sell them to the pharmacies and make a 400% profit at least before the pharmacies get their cut. To them it is business, which is understandable, but they are being just plain greedy.

On the other side, they were the ones that did actually invest in the drug making it available in the first place. Otherwise we'd only have methadone. Are they being greedy? Yes, but without them I wouldn’t be typing this with on the suboxone forum that wouldn’t exist. None of that changes the fact that it is extremely irritating that they are depriving people from living clean lives. We are a bunch of junkies in their eyes.

In other words, I am thankful that they formed the drug in the first place but it is wrong the way they are managing it. It's obvious their priorities, making money like every business, but to a different extreme. It's like they're charging $10 for a Big Mac when someone else is selling the same thing with a different name for $2.

I am happy for those who will be able to live with less financial stress now. All hail Actavis! Actually, isn't that one of the companies who make Rapid-release Oxycodone (Roxis)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman wrote:
On the other side, they were the ones that did actually invest in the drug making it available in the first place. Otherwise we'd only have methadone. Are they being greedy? Yes, but without them I wouldn’t be typing this with on the suboxone forum that wouldn’t exist. None of that changes the fact that it is extremely irritating that they are depriving people from living clean lives. We are a bunch of junkies in their eyes.

I am happy for those who will be able to live with less financial stress now. All hail Actavis! Actually, isn't that one of the companies who make Rapid-release Oxycodone (Roxis)?

A lot of America's taxpayer's money went into the research & development of buprenorphine as a treatment for addiction. While RB had the patent for buprenorphine and had marketed it as a painkiller, it was NIDA who encouraged them to use it to treat addiction, and they gave them a financial incentive to do so (basically paid them. Can't remember how much). NIDA also funded all the trials. NIDA believed buprenorphine could be an affordable and accessible alternative to methadone. However the DEA and RB themselves with their inflated prices ended up locking out a lot of people.

lol @ Actavis ... Kinda like a rehab that sells drugs. Make money from both ends of the addiction chain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think that when it comes out... state insurance agencies and medicaid and medicare will all say that they aren't paying for the film anymore due to the much cheaper alternative. My doctor keeps pushing the films unless they cause blisters..... but in the end I think he will either be forced into a corner by insurance agencies or disgruntled patients. For real. What does it matter to him? People paying a crap load of money for films should have this option available immediately and all the others when insurance follows suit. Just my thinkijg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:20 pm 
http://ir.actavis.com/phoenix.zhtml?...cle&ID=1788567

Here is something i found regarding activia bupe! This will be one step in the RIGHT direction in regards to treating addicts with bupe. Greedy R&B trying to protect there cash cow by adding naloxone to it pisses me off. Now we just need 99% of these doctors to pull there heads outta there asses

Post subject: Error on page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:49 pm 

Will, I couldn't open the link. Let's see if the others can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I tried to open the link up but there is an error. I think I found the same page you tried to post, but you may have cut part of the link off or something. Here it is:

http://ir.actavis.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=6 ... highlight=

Is that it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 am 
Yeah that's it fireman. I messed up the link a little bit i think.. Opps.. Still, this looks really promising. I hope somebody comes on her with a review of them and a price range for what they are charging.

Post subject: Next Refill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 pm 

The article says they are starting to ship the generic Suboxone immediately. I have a Dr.'s appt. this Friday for a refill. My concern is probably the same as most everyone. My insurance company will only pay for generic, no longer the name brand films. So I guess it's back to the tabs again. Makes no difference to me. I will of course bring this up with my doctor and find out what he has heard.

Stay tuned....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Went to the Doctor today and he told me that when the new generic becomes available he is 100 percent all for putting me on it to save me money. He said that from what the drug reps are saying, they dont have an exact number but its going to be ALOT cheaper. He said it might be around a month before it hits maybe less.

Post subject: Re: Next Refill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

rule62 wrote:
The article says they are starting to ship the generic Suboxone immediately. I have a Dr.'s appt. this Friday for a refill. My concern is probably the same as most everyone. My insurance company will only pay for generic, no longer the name brand films. So I guess it's back to the tabs again. Makes no difference to me. I will of course bring this up with my doctor and find out what he has heard.

Stay tuned....

That is a legitimate concern I didn't think about. Personally, I like the suboxone films and I hope my insurance keeps covering it. They dissolve quicker and provide better bio availability. I feel extremely lucky being able to afford the films currently. For those whom that can't, this is a massive step in the right direction.

I may try and ask my doctor for a larger script next time to prepare if that is the case, but its not until another 4 weeks until i see him. I'll give my insurance a call to seek further information.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

JUst wanted you all to know that my pharmacist told me today that actually this new generic suboxone cost more than the strips which really sucks. Not trying to bust everyones bubble but was told by him and my docs assistant these will save NO money over the strips. Its straight b.s. Just felt like you should all be prepared for the disappointment like I was. Was so happy about the news of a generic to only find out it will be no help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Doc told me yesterday that they WILL save money, that the drug reps didnt give exact information but they said that they will save money. That some of the other reps are trying to stir rumors up that they wont to get the doctors to write "DO NOT SUB for Generic" on the scripts. If it saves me 20 bucks a month, Im happy that is gas money to the doctors office. i cant see a generic medication that wouldnt be cheaper, I have never heard of any generic medication that is the same price as brand name. They are usually cheaper by atleast 35 percent if not more. He said that the Suboxone drug reps are livid about these new generics and they are trying so hard to get doctors to not allow them to be wrote for.
Not saying that your doctor is lying but I just dont see how they would be the same in cost when they are even saying themselves lower cost alternatives from both companies. Yes I realize that companies lie, but other people do as well. I am very excited for this, and as soon as I get a exact cost from my pharmacy or one close by I will post the prices they give.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jloc82 wrote:
JUst wanted you all to know that my pharmacist told me today that actually this new generic suboxone cost more than the strips which really sucks. Not trying to bust everyones bubble but was told by him and my docs assistant these will save NO money over the strips. Its straight b.s. Just felt like you should all be prepared for the disappointment like I was. Was so happy about the news of a generic to only find out it will be no help.

Thanks for making an account to pass along that information. If that is what they really decide to do, I don't see why they would even want to invest in the market. But for what, just so they can offer people the tablets again? I hope that isn't the case and the pharmacist may have heard some inaccurate or premature information, for everyone's sake. Wouldn't that make people dislike them more than the already unpopular Reckitt-Benckiser? Their ONLY selling point would be to the minority of people who prefer tablets over film, and who would favor them enough to such an extreme that they'd pay more?

In any means, thanks again for passing along that information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the generics will cost more. I'd think it'd be similar to the difference we see with subutex generic, and I am hoping it is at least that much of a difference because my insurance ends april 11th. Sounds like these should be available just in time. I plan to call the pharmacy when it gets closer to my next appointment and ask about the availability date and the price, but if anybody gets info on that, please do by all means share the info. I'm sure we're all anxious to find out just how much we can save with these. It's mind-numbing that generics are only just now available. sad too. But that's big pharma. I need a cheaper option once April comes along.

Post subject: Re: generic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My pharmacy wanted to charge pretty close to the same price for the generic as the strips.

Then I asked if he could change it to the strips so I could use the coupon and get it for roughly $70 cheaper than the generic. He initially said yes,then he somehow changed it to the brand name tablets, how I don't know, since they have been out of production. Then the price went up another $50 over the generic or the films. He then said he couldn't fill it with the strips without a scrip change from the doctor, even though they had inadvertently filled them interchangeably before.

The only reason the doc wrote for generic was because the insurance wouldn't pay for the strips, but they said they would the generic tabs, then when I go to pick them up, they won't. They are still saying I need prior authorization a month after the doctor's office said they got it. When I go to pick them up the bill is higher than the strips were with no discount one month ago.

By the way, they wanted roughly $270 for 30 strips or generic tabs, $325 for the non existent brand name tabs, and $200 for strips with coupon.

What the heck happened to generic meds being cheaper. Now I hear they also are having quality issues with drastically lower efficacy and even new side effects.

I was able to find drastically lower prices through goodrx.com, and I will try to get the generics that way. How can anything vary in price by that much($115vs$270) in a market where people are surely going to try and find the best possible price. that's a 235% price increase over the competition. How many places can pull that off.
Also, I know the insurance was only allowing them to charge $220 for the strips($150 from them, $70 copay), yet their price to me as a member of their platinum discount plan(paid access) they were charging me $270