It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Generic subutex.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anyone else noticed the Mylan brand of sub not lasting 24hours? I recently switched from rox brand sub because of what I thought were massive side effects but turns outs I was not absorbing hardly any of the meds when on that brand went to Mylan and problem solved on absorbtion to a degree I still think I am not absorbing the full amount I should and I think it's because of massive amounts of saliva the second the pill hits my mouth. I don't salivate hardly at all until that pill hits my tongue and then I look like a chipmunk. I have somewhat solved the issue by crushing the pill up and then putting it under my tongue and so far it works. I knows it's a absorbtion problem as some days I take 4mg and I'm fine and even at night I realize I don't need any more but most days it lasts 6-8 hours and then I'm starting to w/d. I'm not complaining as I'm way better than I was by a long shot but I want to get this med to work at its best to work on getting off of it.

Post subject: Re: Generic subutex.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bunavail increases absorption significantly by holding the medication against the inner cheek, above the pool of salive-- which increases the concentration of dissolved drug and drives diffusion more strongly. I suggest putting the dose ON your tongue, then holding it against your inner cheek, similar to Bunavail. As it dissolves, the higher concentration will push the drug into subcutaneous tissues. The layers of the buprenorphine product dissolve over 5-10 minutes, so if you can keep it there that long, I would expect significant absorption of the medication.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm soo glad you found out something to help you a little better!! Good thinking on switching up the brand!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm 

Hi All, I am concerned about all of this as I believe , starting March 1, my insurance company may require me to go to generic suboxone. I use a 2mg strip twice per day and it is the RB brand name strip I have used since the begining. Are there generic strips? Or, will I have to go to the tablets?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:58 pm 

As far as I know Michelle, the only strips available are the Suboxone brand, which is what ur taking now. All the others are pill form. Except for Bunavail (sp?) which is the thing that goes inside of ur cheek.... and that's not considered generic I don't think.

I'm like u Michelle, I've always taken the brand name strips, for yrs, but I know the generic is cheaper but I've always been apprehensive to mess with something that's gone so well for me. That's exactly why I've never asked my doctor to switch me to something cheaper. Financially I should but I don't want to mess with my medicine. But I do think that's just a normal concern for someone like us who's never had to switch to another form of buprenorphine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:29 pm 

Hey Michelle,
Jenn is right. I too pay out of pocket but do not want to mess with trying a new product.
However, if it were me Id ask if you could use the Bunivel first. It is a film like product. If not,
then Id bet you ll be ok on a tablet. I say this because your on a nice lower end dose and
should get good coverage either way.

Razor...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:51 pm 

Thank you both for your response! I am hoping since there is not the exact equivalent in generic form they will
not change it. But, I had a situation in the past when I had a bleeding ulcer and the Dr prescribed protonix and my insurance wanted me to try tagament first. The Dr was furious and wrote a letter and I got the protonix. We will see what happens. They have already eliminated Walgreens so we have to change pharmacies! I hate change! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

my insurance pays for the scripts
subxone has a $20 co-pay though because its a brand name
i'm assuming the generic tabs would be $5

i hate the taste of the films. i took a could pills years ago and i don't remember hating the taste. i've thought of switching but the $15 difference isn't really significant enough to need to.