It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor switched me over to subutex. I went to the pharmacy happy thinking that I would be saving some cash each month. When I went to pay It was about $331 for 30 compared to $294 for 30 suboxone. I thought they must have given me the brand name subutex but it was the generic. They said the brand name subutex would have been substantially more. From what I have read the generic sub should have been much cheaper. Am I missing something here? The pharmacy I go to has the cheapest suboxone in my area so I figured they would have the cheapest subutex. Maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Generics can vary in price from other generics. Pharmacies can also have way different prices than other pharmacies.
Costco seems to have the best prices and they can order any prescription and have it within 18-48 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I recently switched from Suboxone to generic Subutex ,and it is $235 cheaper a month, but is with one of those free prescription discount cards. Try finding one of those...they are everywhere.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Both Suboxone and Subutex are brand name. Generic Subutex is just buprenorphine w/out Naloxone. Everywhere I checked, Subutex was MUCH more expensive than Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The website for discounts on meds is www.FreeDrugCard.us. It gives prices for all pharmacies in your area with the discount already added to the price. I can't understand why a generic wound cost more.

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

quadracersteve wrote:
The website for discounts on meds is www.FreeDrugCard.us. It gives prices for all pharmacies in your area with the discount already added to the price. I can't understand why a generic wound cost more.

Yep, without my discount card, the generic subutex is just as expensive as NON GENERIC Suboxone WITH my discount card. So, that discount card saves me a load of money. The thing is, the discount card covers way more on generic drugs, so the fact that subutex is generic means that my little discount card covers it way better..

The money it saves me is awesome. Get one of those discount cards!

Post subject: SPAM SCAM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This card does NOT allow for controlled substances....Don't believe the HYPE!!

Post subject: Re: SPAM SCAM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

scottcat wrote:
This card does NOT allow for controlled substances....Don't believe the HYPE!!

Actually it's not a scam. The free discount card I use has covered both Suboxone and Subutex, and when it comes to Subutex, it saved me about $235 bucks...

So, you don't believe the hype that it's not real. There are discount cards out there that cover suboxone and subutex, and especially generic subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

theres tons of people that have posted on here about using it on subs. im sure the "iot doesnt work on controlled substances" is a rumor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm 
Very interesting conversation! I've been on Suboxone for over a year and a half, with my doctor refusing to write for the generic Subutex all along. That is until my last appointment......At the close of the appointment, after he'd already written for the Suboxone, I thought I'd take a chance and ask if he was prescribing generic Subutex at all at this time. He replied that he was in some instances and that he'd consider changing me over at my next appointment. While at the pharmacy to pick up my Suboxone script, I asked the pharmacist if he had generic Subutex and if he could tell me if it would save me any money. He went to his computer and pulled it up and although I don't remember the exact dollar figure, for a quantity of 60 - 8mg tabs the price of the generic was quoted to me at almost half the cost of the name brand Suboxone.
I will definitely request the generic when I'm in next week and pray my doctor will allow it for me, as I pay 100% out of pocket for my meds.
I do understand that there is a wide variance in costs from one manufacturer to another, and from one pharmacy to another, but it's almost always a given that generic will provide a cost savings to the consumer. If/when it doesn't, I'll be asking the pharmacy without hesitation, why that is, because I think it's ridiculous! Of course, the cost of drugs in general, and this one in particular, is ridiculous to begin with!!!
Best advice is to shop, shop around and ask questions regarding pricing. It can't hurt and it might help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My pharmacy's prices are about the same as your's Setmefree.

I live in Louisiana and have used all three medications. I pay out of pocket as well. Whenever I was taking Suboxone, 60- 8mg tabs ran me about $450. The generic subutex(roxa) is about half that price, while the brand Subutex is over $600!! So, like ten bucks a piece for the brand Subutex.

I find that the brand Subutex is a lil stronger than the generic. That being said, if Im really strapped for cash around refill time, I get the generic. Thank goodness my pharmacy and my Sub Doc don't have a problem with me interchanging like that. I see my doctor every three months, so my script has two refills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone!
I was switched from Suboxone to Subutex recently. When I went to my usual pharmacy to fill the Subutex, it was 1020.00!!! I have insurance but my deductible has to be met before they cover anything! I was paying 750.00 for Suboxone before and I thought that was bad - talk about breaking the bank! Then I did a little research and found that generic subutex is the same equivalent as brand name. My usual pharmacy did not carry generic subutex... I called our local Walgreens and they had it!! I went to fill my RX and went from $1k to 250.00, I was happy to hear there was a major savings! In some states it is covered on the pharmacy generic savings plans, costing as low as $4-5 for a month script!
What I'm getting at is, theres a lot that depends on how much you will pay... What state you live in, insurance plan, and pharmacy you choose! Your best bet is to take the time to call and get cash prices ( regardless if you have insurance coverage). It will give you a ballpark estimate of who will be cheapest with or w/o insurance, if they carry a generic or not, etc.
As far as how the generics work opposed to brand name, I havent found any substantial difference yet! Who wants to pay more money for the same exact thing?!! I have heard people say that they dont work as well, they taste bad, and so on... To me, none of these are true! Actually, the generic subutex taste much better, having little to no taste at all! Try the suboxone films and tell me those don't taste horrible! The worst thing I have ever tasted! I think that people who question the strength of generics should remember that the FDA does not approve any drug unless it meets the same equivalent and requirements of brand drugs. Typically, doctors won't prescribe subutex unless there is a reason for you to have it (women who are pregnant, ones allergic to Naloxone, etc.)
The way I see it is, even when I was paying 750.00 for a RX it was still better than doing drugs and killing myself! You can't put a price on life and sobriety! Suboxone/ Subutex have literally saved my life and for that I am thankful! It is the one drug that worked for me, and most important, if you are thinking of trying it... Like anything else, you MUST want it yourself! Like any other treatment! And if you are trying to get subutex for the sole reason of wanting to still dabble in drugs- it's a bad idea! Only serious users willing to get clean and stay clean should try the program! I have been on it for 4 years now and feel more than blessed to get this "second chance" at life! I hope this helps anyone looking to get clean or those who need help getting a little financial relief! Also, for those who are looking for relief on the cost of it... Have you tried contacting Reckitt- Benckiser? If you don't have any insurance coverage, they are willing to pay ALL of the cost for you (however, each doctor is only allowed 3 patients on this program at a time) Discuss with your Dr, chances are they can answer most of your questions about it or whether they are at their maximum patients already in the program.) *I have never found any discount plans that are willing to cover controlled drugs! Most savings/discount plans are NOT willing to pay the insane prices of those type drugs! Good luck to everyone!!!