It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all I am glad to hear that the generic pills are becoming available. How can I convince my doctor to write a script for them. Do I have any legal right to demand the generic. I am struggling to afford these strips, yes I know like my dr. said well its a lot cheaper than Roxicodone. I am aware of this, don't use that as an excuse as to why you wont write the generic. This is a new Dr. for me, when he began to write the script I popped the question, I heard there are generics available, he countered with, "Oh you cant get those , the took them off the shelf because people were injecting them" I said wow I did not know that you could , and he said " yes people will inject anything." OK , Is my doctor mis-informed or am I. I live in Orlando , FL are the available here or anywhere else.
Also, I actually prefer the strips, I heard that the patent for those are set to run out this month. Does anyone have any info on these. Sorry for a barrage of questions but I am confused and frustrated. Thanks . :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Theres unfortunately nothing you can do to get your dr to write it besides politely asking and as you said he already said no. From the sound of it he's a quack because he's telling you the "if you could afford street opiates you can afford this" line and from that alone you can tell he has no compassion and is only in it for the money. One thing though when you said generic did you specify suboxone or is there a chance he thought you wanted generic subutex? Its possible he didnt know that there even was a generic suboxone on the market and thought thats what you meant. The thing about injecting is a load of BS as well because you can read all over the net on drug using forums that many people ironically prefer to shoot the strips as they take less prep and you only need to dissolve a small sliver instead of a heaping amount of pill powder. I only have that one post of yours to go by but from the sound of it this Dr is shady and there is some incentive involved in him not allowing you generic suboxone. I would just continue to let him prescribe to you and go looking for another dr ASAP because there are good ones out there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 am 

The pharmaceutical company that makes suboxone has waged a pretty effective campaign to convince doctors that the films are safer than the pills. They even tried to convince the FDA that the pills were dangerous because they could be accessed by children far more easily than the strips! The FDA, fortunately, were not inclined to believe it, especially recognizing the financial stake of the original maker.

One compelling fact you could use to convince your doctor is that at least one of the major insurance companies, CVS Caremark, is ceasing to cover the films as of January 2014. They will only cover the generic pill from that point on. I have a feeling that doctors will start falling in line when that happens.

Amy