It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Generic Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anyone heard any news about a generic version of suboxone? The patent ran out towards the end of 2009, and last i heard they were 'having difficulty producing a generic formulation.' That argument is completely ludicrous to me, as if they can produce the name brand tablet, they can certainly produce a generic version, as it has the same ingredients. My insurance only gives me a slight discount on suboxone, and even at just 2mg/day i'm still paying >$100 a month. I'm really starting to think big pharma really is evil in the way they market these things and then try to keep a monopoly on their product. As the only legal dealers of suboxone, they control the prices of jillions of legalized drug addicts. I would totally go for generic Subutex, but it seems that all the doctors around here are convinced that naloxone makes it 'safer' and therefore will not prescribe subutex...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the patent did run out as you stated, but no other pharm company has stepped up to produce a generic form yet. And RB is ready when they do...this is likely why they came up with the strips, in anticipation of a generic tablet coming out. RB probably wanted to switch as many patients to THEIR new film to keep them with their products, should a generic come onto the market.

Big surprise, BIG PHARM isn't chomping at the bit to treat us addicts.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hat. Is correct as I see it. The ? Is WHY hasn't another phar co produced sub in a generc form? I do know that my clinic dr has moved all of people over to the films. I started on the films so never used the tab. Big Phar plus ins plus medicade plus clinics..must be a lot going on there in the mix So now clinics an docs go with films also knowing or thinking the tabs won't be produced much louger. So for now it is what it is. The hardest thing for me is knowing Subutex is there an no doc I've ever talked with will write for it. This is a great forum. Glad to have found it. I spend a lot of freetime reading here an going back though the years an posts. I've leaned so much here. Thinking of starting a slow taper as I've read that others have done it. Best way to curb the cost of all this. Have a great Sunday...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes bortmackie, it is so annoying that my doctor won't prescribe me the generic Subutex. I don't have insurance so it would help me out financially. I have never used a needle in my life, so there is no reason to not let me take the generic.

By the way, you said you spend $100/month taking 2mg/day...have you ever thought about asking your doctor for the 8mg strips and you could just cut them into fourths when you dose? That way you would only need 8 strips/month, which would cost way less? Actually, it would probably be close to nothing, or even free, with the $50 off coupon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello bortmackie.

There is currently a generic brand of Suboxone in the 3rd phase of development developed by BioDelivery Science International (BDSI). The company is working in partnership with Endo to get the product on the market in early to mid 2013.

There product is a similar to the RB strips, but this dissolves in the mouth by placing it on the inside of the cheek. I watched a 70 minute lecture presented by BDSI to potential investors of the product. It was interesting. However, it was obvious that the doctors they had on to present the information used the same deceptive rhetoric regarding the use of Naloxone in their product. But either way, sense doctors are so remarkably misinformed on the matter, the combination product will always be the preferred choice of physicians. So the introduction of a generic form will be a Godsend for low-income people.

Down below is a link to BDSI's BEMA buprenorphine:

http://www.bdsi.com/Other_BEMA_Products.aspx

Take note of the news updates that the company posts on the right hand side of the page if you are inclined to keep up to date on the product.

-Entropy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Entropy - thanks SO much for sharing this update with us. It's great to have accurate information along with a source to pass on to our members. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are so very welcome! I hope others get wind of this as well. I do not know who news_poster is but I believe that this is something they might want to post. Or perhaps you could start a new threat on BDSI's development of the generic. I have known about it for about 4 months but never said anything because I figured most already knew about it.
But on the other hand, I quite literally spend at least 2 or 3 hours a day either reading technical papers or news reports on buprenorphine. I'm a bit obsessed, haha.

-Entropy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This is good to see. Thanks for the update..

Post subject: FDA Website
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey members,

Just for future questions about potential generics for Suboxone, here is the FDA's Orange Book website which gives the expiration dates for patents on any drug approved for sale in the US. You can search by a drug's generic (active ingredient) name or the brand (proprietary) name. If you type in Suboxone for the brand-name search page, it will return info on the Suboxone tablets and sublingual film (with both doses for each). The patents on the Suboxone tablets have indeed expired. However, the Suboxone Film patent doesn't expire until 2023. That's why B-R is really pushing the film over the tablet - they know that very shortly there will be generic versions of the tablet and they're banking on all of us addicts preferring the expensive film. Here's the link:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... efault.cfm

Bunny

P.S. - if you search for "buprenorphine" on the proprietary name search page, several generic versions of Suboxone appear; apparently there are a few waiting to be approved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG

I so hope they get this through the 'red tape' sooner than later!!!!!!

Im thinking its time to buy stock in BEMA?????????????

I totally would, if I knew how???

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good morning posters!

I am pretty excited for this as well. Not so much for myself, but for the thirsty multitudes out there who are still getting the proverbial door shut in their face when seeking drug replacement therapy with buprenorphine. If a patient is fortunate enough to survive the waiting list period and make it into the office of a certified prescriber, many of them must face yet another challenge: Prescription drug cost!

I was very relieved to discover that my physician already understood the falsehood in Reckitt Benckiser's marketing scheme. He knows that naloxone does not deter abuse of the drug when it is injected. That is partially why he has me on the mono formulation. But as we all know, stigma and misinformation dominate; And for that reason, many patients go without. However, we may not be able to undo the collective mindset of doctors, or convince them to so much as research the monopolizing bull shit undergone by Reckitt Benckiser, but at least we can refuse to accept this unethically expensive treatment in lieu of its generic counter-part!

On a different yet somewhat related note, a company Named Alkermes has in the works a product labeled ALKS 5461 for the treatment of massive major depression (MMD). It combines buprenorphine and something they are calling ALKS 33 a "proprietary opioid modulator" they claim. But I have no idea what that is. I only bring it up because I think that it is so great they are looking into using an opioid to treat depression. I could explain why I think that is so groundbreaking but I'm am sure no one cares all that much.

-Entropy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Check out that link that bunny put up and be sure to look for BUPE AND NALOXONE - that is the combo for suboxone. The rest w/o the naloxone are generics for SUBUTEX. So be sure to look at that VERY HELPFUL (Thanks, Bunny!) page carefully.

Post subject: sorry...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was incorrect. The FDA Orange Book site does not contain any generics for Suboxone yet. All of the generic buprenorphine sublinguals listed are just Subutex copies. Thanks for informing me, hatmaker!! However, I bet that there will soon be several generic versions of Suboxone on the market as there are already generic Subutex copies, and Subutex has a way smaller potential for profit compared to "mainstream" Suboxone tablets.

Bunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am one of the lucky ones.. Im on subutex (I have insurance though so my scripts are only $1, I do pay for my doctor monthly though because she doesnt accept my insurance) The only thing I wanted to point out is how crazy it is that more people cant be prescribed subutex, in my opinion its so much better than suboxone, I feel SO MUCH better on it, honestly I would never go back to suboxone. In my area, ALOT of people are on suboxone/subutex.. My best friends cousin does not use it right, he sells it, gets high off it ect. He started off on the tabs and he was shooting or sniffing them and now he's on the film but he still shoots or sniffs them, never has he had any ill side effects from doing it. I dont understand why doctors think subutex is more easily abused.. its not true. Naloxone doesnt stop any type of abuse, i dont even know why its there.. it does nothing. You can abuse suboxone just as much as subutex.. it DOES NOT stop people from shooting it, ive seen it done many many times.