It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Generic Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]

Hi to all. I posted this message a couple days back but can not find it. So here goes again..........

I am an opiate addict & recently off of Suboxone. My sub doctor told me at my last visit at the beggining of this year that generic Suboxone is already on the market. BUT......he said that it is nowhere near as effective as the original & that once it hits air it becomes totally ineffective. He wrote on my script. "Brand Name Medically Necessary."

After reading several posts here, I don't know whether to believe him or not. Could it be that he is getting some sort of compensation for prescribing the brand name?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
bq68

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hiya bq! First off I want to congratulate you on your recovery, and I know the hell you are going through, I will get to that
soon enough. And I feel for you, life can be rotten enough WITHOUT living in pain let alone suffering and in pain.

IMHO I believe your doc is crocked! Here in the good ole USA we have a government agency called the FDA who monitors
Food and Drug guidelines. That being said the generic subs have to be at least 80-90% as effective as the name brand. And the part where he told you when the pills come in contact with air they are useless? I about spit a mouthful of Pepsi on my laptop laughing. Were do they make the new Subs then, on the moon, and you have to live there if you want to consume them? :? :roll:

Your doc. is getting some kind of compensation from his supplier. Greed is something wicked evil. I think what you should try is telling him you want to find out for yourself, or, if you get a script for name brand most places I get my dope from, prescribed dope that is, automatically check for generics and offer you them before name brand. At least Walmart and Walgreens do this. I bet 1 dollar you will not even notice a difference.

Let us know, because I to and tired of paying 400usd for a 1 month supply and am waiting for subs to go generic, I did not know they were already. I only pay 95usd for my script, my insurance picks up the balance.
Peace

Post subject: Generic Subs
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

From all the posts I have read, my doctor is incorrect. I have been told that the generic sub will not hit the market until October of this year.

I have made it 16 days without opiates or suboxone & plan to stay the course. I think sub is a wonderful tool to have to aid in recovery IF used for that purpose. Unfortunately, I used it as a crutch to make it through until my next pain med. refill. Believe me, constantly shifting back & forth between the subs & the dilaudid, I didn't do myself any favors. I am on day 16 without either. The physical withdrawal is gone for the most part. Still have the restless legs & hard to fall asleep sometimes but the horrible chills, shakes, stomach problems, etc. has let up.

I have to admit that mentally, I still think about the dilaudid. I do my best to keep my mind off of it, but some days are harder than others.

I wish everyone on this journey well!

Thanks for listening,
bq

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is NO generic form of buprenorphine in the US. There is a liquid called 'temgesic' that has been around for years in some other countries (I don't know which ones-- I have just seen it mentioned on some international forums).

Demon, take it easy. I am not a fan of medicine myself, but I don't assume people are crooks for no reason at all! I can assure you that there is NO compensation for doctors for prescribing a 'brand name'-- that idea, to be frank, is silly. This last January (2009) the new pharma laws went into effect; before that, drug companies could give an educational or office product as long as the value was less than $100. Now, they can't, and don't, give ANYTHING. They scramble like crazy in my office if they lose their pen, afraid that someone will accuse them of giving it to me. There are no more free pens; no more little pads of paper with the name of the drug on it-- nothing.

I have asked Reckitt-Benckiser for the past 3 years to help me educate docs and the public about Suboxone with my blog. I ask for $9-- the cost of the domain name 'suboxforum' for one year. They said 'no'-- they cannot do ANYTHING that appears to be improper, knowing the number of anti-sub forces out there who want to shoot them down.

There are a few products in the works, but no generic. I have not even heard of a company willing to make the generic-- if anyone has, let me know, but I doubt one is in the works because I would have heard about the FDA submission.

Yes, there is plenty of greed in the world... but medicine is watched pretty closely. The stuff you read about has to do with institutions getting money to do studies-- that is how science happens in the US. The government covers a tiny bit of the research that is done; the reason HIV is now managed for years instead of being fatal in a couple years is because of 'greed'-- someone wanted to make money, and so he/she worked 100 hours per week for 10 years to win the race for a new drug. In return for working hard and saving a million lives, the person gets rich. I have no problem with that. In Europe, you don't get rich that way... that is why the discoveries tend to come from the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It doesn't matter doc.. In a week or less, someone will say the same 'you get a cut from the drug company' thing. I imagine if you did, you wouldn't be farting around on a forum but flying in your private jet to exotic destinations right?

Actually, I have a better idea that will save you tons of time.. Email templates where you just fill in the name for common responses as:

- you're in it for the money
- the drug companies give you a cut
- I can think of lots more that I see over and over again...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pharma companies can give "unrestricted educational grants" to advocacy groups - the National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment (NAABT) is funded by pharma & private donations.

Maybe you just need to form a 501c3 so you can get that 9 bucks :lol:

As far as I know, lots of these groups are funded by drug companies - NAMI, AHA, CHADD...

-Jack Kornfield