It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Generic Suboxone?
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OxyPatrick sent me this question by e-mail: I wasn't sure where to put this post, so I'll just send it to you and you can decide which catergory to put it under. As I read through the entire forum, yes the ENTIRE forum(I was laid-off from work last week), i noticed a couple of mentions regarding "generic" Suboxone. I believe the same person mentioned it a couple of times, but I don't think you have talked about it at all. I think a LOT of people would be very interested in this. Would you please share any info you might have on this? Thanks!

I apologize if in fact you HAVE talked about this in the forum. Please let me know.

Thanks OP-- I wish I had more info for you. I mentioned that I was at the meeting with the manufacturer last weekend; I was hoping to hear something about that topic, but the closest was when one person from the company said that he hoped that we could see the dedication of the company, and that we would have some loyalty to the brand going forward. That implies that the brand is going generic, but I have not heard anything about a company coming in and making a generic form of the drug.

I know that there are people paying way too much money and trying to hold out long enough for the generic to come along. My hope is that when it does come, that it discounts the price significantly. That does not always happen, but it usually does. Effexor XR went generic a few months ago; now there is a med called 'venlafaxine extended release' that is a 'branded biologically equivalent form of effexor'-- I don't know who makes the rules, but a generic must have 80-120% of the activity of the original brand to get FDA approval, but a 'branded equivalent' has to be much closer-- like 95% of the original brand. So this new form of effexor (venlafaxine is the chemical name for effexor) is not really a 'generic', but it is sort of like a generic... the problem is that it almost costs as much as the original medication. It is about 20% less-- big deal!

I'm sure that eventually it will be quite cheap-- I just don't know how long it will take to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I mentioned it to a few in the forum... I didn't make it up. I saw a list of medications where their patent expires, and Suboxone was on the list for the patent to expire in October or November, let me go look it up again:

Quote:
Patent Data

There are no unexpired patents for this product in the Orange Book Database.

[Note: Title I of the 1984 Amendments does not apply to drug products submitted or approved under the former Section 507 of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (antibiotic products). Drug products of this category will not have patents listed.]
Exclusivity Data
Appl No Prod No Exclusivity Code Exclusivity Expiration
020733 001 ODE Oct 8, 2009

Thats from http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/patexclnew.cfm?Appl_No=020733&Product_No=001&table1=OB_Rx

So, the patent expires Oct 8th, 2009.

I'm not sure if that will drop the price though, I *think* someone else has to manufacture it (competition?)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]

I am new here & am just recently off of Suboxone. I went to my Suboxone doctor the beginning of this year & he told me about the generic form newly on the market. He said the generic is already available. BUT.....he said it was nowhere near as potent as the original. He said that once the generic hits air that it totally becomes useless.

When he gave me my script. he wrote on there "Brand Medically Necessary".

I don't know whether to believe him or not now. Is it possible that he is getting some sort of perk for only dispensing the brand name?

PS: I am so glad that I found this site. I will post my experiences here soon.

Thanks!
bq68

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:shock:

Now I think I've heard it all.

If Sub's patent doesn't expire until Oct 2009, there's no way there can be a generic. And there are still regulations on generic drugs. They could hardly sell a drug that becomes useless once it touches air - unless we're all going to be addicts in space or something.

Maybe your doctor was kidding?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: generic suboxone
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Knowing this doctor, he wasn't kidding, just an idiot. It is obvious he is in the suboxone business for 1 reason & 1 reason only.............$$$$$$$.

I am very glad to be off the subs because even going to him gave me the creeps. He has no restrictions on giving out the sub. Just pay his outragous fee & your good to go.

Thanks for the input!

bq

Post subject: this much I know...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK,
I worked in the pharma industry for 6 years, with generics. here are some little known facts... just because a patent is up doesnt mean anything. what typically happens is the company files a lawsuit to try and prove "another use for their drug". even if there is no other use, it is protocol. this lawsuit can last and usually does last 18-24 months to delay a generic company applying for an ANDA (generic approval). then what happens is that the big pharma company will usually pay the generic that wins first bid (there is usually a 6 month exclusivity on the first generic company before other generic companies can make it) to NOT market it. get it? even if there is a generic made, the makers of suboxone can delay and delay and delay to make more money... the big generics are teva, watson and sandoz. and ALL generics are the same as brand. they are FDA required to be 100% in efficacy and up to standard.. so sorry to bust anyones hopes, but this much I know... I also know that if you call the company and ask for their indigenous program, they can sometimes give you 6-12 months of meds for no cost... good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe it's different for Suboxone because Reckitt didn't develop Buprenorphine. They just got bupe declared and orphan drug so they could have an exclusive license to sell it in the US. They've had that for 7 years and that is what's expiring.

Here's a Reuters article about how Reckitt's trying to figure out how to make up the lost revenue when Suboxone goes generic:

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyN ... 2120070725

Seems like they're acknowledging that they will lose the majority of the buprenorphine bizness in the states after this year, but they just got granted a similar license for Sub in europe thru 2016.

-Jack Kornfield