It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes there is generic subutex or buprenorphine. I have been getting it at Costco pharmacy for several months. It may have been available as long ago as Oct. 2009, but I didn't know about it. BUT the last time i went for a refill, the first part of March, they were only able to give me 1/2 of my RX. they said it was on back order till the end of march. Then it went to the first of April, Now the end of April. It is only being manufactured by ONE drug company right now. It is Roxane Laboratories Inc. I called their customer service line and was told only that they were having production difficulties. They said it would be available the middle of April. when I called them today 04/14/2010, they said the end of April. My son is a physicians assistant dealing in neuropsychiatry, and he said that when a drug goes generic, it is usually only manufactured by one company for 6 months or so, and then others join in. I'm curious what these "production difficulties" are. With Suboxone manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser due to lose thousands of customers when this generic buprenorphine is available, I'm wondering if there isn't some pressure being put on generic producers to slow Reckitt's loss of profits. I had been on Suboxne for a little over a year, when I switched to the generic bupe. It works great. I like it better in fact, because it dissolves a bit slower and cuts up better into smaller pieces. I was paying about $260 for 60 2mg. suboxone at Costco. The generic buprenorphine cost about $150 for the generic subutex 60 2 mg. tablets. With no insurance, that is a big help for me. SAD that the production has halted. Hopefully some other drug manufacturer will start production soon, so we won't be left paying the HIGH prices of Suboxone forever. Also, it is hard to get some DRS. to switched to subutex, as it does not have the naloxone (sp?) in it that Suboxone does, and can be misused easier. Mine only did it because he knew of my financial difficulties and lack of insurance. Hope this bit of info helps. I have been looking all over the web this morning for any updates or clues as to what the slow up of the production of generic subutex is and can't find anything, so I called Roxane and got that update. Anyone else have any other info????