It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Do you plan on switching from SUBOXONE to generic SUBUTEX?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:03 pm
YES 82%  82%  [ 28 ]
NO 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone!
So for the 1st time in quite a while I have a giant smile on my face! This is because I just left Walgreens in Northeastern Ohio and was told that they finally got in 180 units of generic Subutex, just for me :) So tomorrow I go into my doctor for my monthly visit with him, and get my Rx for generic Subutex. I'm starting this new thread to let everyone know exactly what it looks like, tastes like, the absorption, any new side effects, and anything else that comes up while on this new formulation. The cost of 84 (3x/ day: 28 day supply) is $207.00. That's a 60% discount on current prices at Sam's club, the lowest price for Suboxone in my area ($5.85/tablet). So tomorrow the test begins. It takes a lot of work to get this Rx, and some time to find a pharmacy that can get a generic. Anyone who pays for there own prescription and wishes to start saving some money, I suggest starting the process of calling around, and stopping into places, so by your next appointment with your doctor you can have everything ready to go. Any questions about anything, don't hesitate to P.M. me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

great to hear jsp all of us here appreciate you taking the time to keep us posted next visit to my Dr. I'm gonna ask if it'd be alright for me to switch to generic since I'm about to be dropped from my parents health insurance sure hope he says it'll be ok if not I'm gonna be hella broke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't even think you could take prescriptions of Subutex home. Isn't it just for clinical use? I don't think my doc would change me to generic subutex if I asked. I thought the nalaxone (or whatever it is called) was to help prevent abuse. Can you give me some more info on changing from Suboxone to generic Subutex?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jackolantern:
It seems that if you don't abuse drugs parentaly (shoot up) then there should be no problem switching from suboxone to subutex. A while back I was getting massive "thunderclap" migraine headaches and thought that I was sensitive to the naltrexone in the suboxone, so I called my doctor and he suggested switching to subutex, he made the call and I tried it out. The switch didn't help the migraines, and since subutex is more expensive I just switched back. Well now it's cheaper, so tomorrow I'm just going to ask him to switch me. Your doctor should do the same for you. I would call around and make sure that a pharmacy has it cheaper, then tell your doctor to switch you and if he says no then find a doctor that will.

Matt2:
Good luck man! Hope your doctor doesn't have a problem with the switch, let me know what happens

Later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey everyone! So I went to the doctors office today, and got a Rx for the subutex. The doctor told me that some doctors will be reluctant to prescribe subutex to patients, and my doc. even said that most of his patients will not be switched. It seems heroin addicts will NOT be getting subutex, also anyone who lies to the doctor, also will not get it. Also anyone who uses oxy or any other drug (morphine, Demerol) through the IV route, will not get the Rx. In fact I had a false positive for benzodiazpines for some reason and almost didn't get the Rx, but since I've always been completely honest with my doctor over the last year or so I got the script because he trusted me when I swore I haven't taken any Xanax, Valium, etc. The cost was around $2.44/tablet at Walgreen's, and they had it on hand because I've called them and made sure that it would be there today.
The size is the same size as suboxone, the difference is that it is round, and white.

The markings are : 54 411 with no score, *8mg ( I cut one with a pill cutter and it cut into 4's with no problems)

The taste: It tastes exactly like Subutex, the only difference is that it is a bit gritty, but the spit was clear not white like with subutex. Also when I took subutex I would put a dum-dum sucker in my mouth to make the taste better, although it's not really that bad.

Dissolving Rate: It seems much more dense than the brand names, yet it dissolves in about half the time as both brand name pills. Suboxone takes me around 15 minutes to dissolve from a whole pill, 20 if my mouth stays drier, and the generic took around eight to ten minutes.

Effectiveness: So far, so good! I'm sure it's going to take around 3 days for any differences to show up, but I haven't noticed any differences so far, if anything it seems to absorb better. I kinda have the same feeling right now (45min into dose) that I had the 1st couple months that I began treatment ( you all know what I mean by that right? the Honeymoon phase, The Pink Cloud) which I'm sure will go away after a couple days.

This is my first day, so I don't have too much more to say about it. Overall I see no problems switching, as long as you don't plan on abusing, or diverting your medication (please don't ruin this for us!!!!!)

On a sad note I lost my doctor today :( He is opening a new practice in a different area and focusing on addicts a lot more. I wish him luck with his new practice, and hope he helps a lot more people since he is a great doctor. I will be meeting with a new doctor that he set me up with, and I hope he is as trusting and helpful as Dr. S. Kinda sucks though, but if I've learned anything in the last year+, change is a good thing!

Any ? please post here, unless it's a private matter, in that case PM or e-mail me. I log on almost every day and will keep up with this evaluation for as long as it takes to enlighten everyone to this new, much cheaper, form of treatment ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 2:

Wow I slept hard last night. Had a dream too, very rare for me. Feel like I have a lot of energy today, haven't felt energetic in a long time. My mood seems to be better, I'm getting ready to go to work and usually I start thinking of reasons not to go, today I'm just happy to have a steady job. Also with suboxone I start getting a headache about an hour after my dose, so far today nothing. Other than that not much of a change from yesterday, it's going to be a few days before I know anything. Good luck everybody! Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 5:

Getting ready for work, gotta keep it short. Seems my mood is really improving! Colors seem brighter, walks with the dog seem more calming and enjoyable. My stress level at work seems to be better also. Some of this is coming from the fact that all my money isn't gone, some from the fact that I have one less chemical in my blood stream. The pills are getting annoying with there bad taste, been putting a small sucker in my cheek while the pill dissolves, doesn't seem to affect absorption at all. In fact I think that the generic absorbs better than the brand, I've found myself taking 8mg less/day and having not effect what so ever. Makes me wonder if R&B makes there pills to have poor bio-availability to make consumers buy more pills...hmm. Also after keeping the solution of bupe/spit in my mouth for a couple minutes there is not really any taste at all, and no trace of the pill what so ever. Seems as though much more than 50-60% is getting in my blood stream. Off to work...later fellow recovering friends!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 7:
Nothing to write about really. Seems that everything is in the up and up with the generic. Having some constipation issues, any advice for that would be great. I've tried all the usual things, pills, eating more fiber, water water water, moving around, etc it's becoming really bothersome. I go but not what I should be and there is huge effort and almost no reward (if you know what I mean) When I was using I had no problems, in fact I've never had a problem until now. All the advice so far hasn't helped and would appreciate someone helping me out on this one. Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 pm 
This may have already been suggested here and you may have already tried it but here it goes:::In the hospital setting, when we had a patient who was real clogged up, the doctor would order the usual - stool softener twice a day(Colace), Metamucil once or twice a day, and if no 'results' after a couple of days of that, we'd have to give them a dulcolax suppository (fun) and sometimes an enema (fun) Okay the nurses, preferring not to put themselves nor the patient through the latter two options would often have the patient down a large glass of warm prune juice. It actually worked a lot of the time. If you haven't already, it would be worth a try!
Happy toileting!!
And thank you for your generic Sub reviews!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'll try that regimen for a while and see if that works...hope so!! THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 9:

Noticing that less is more. 16mg/day seems to be exactly the same as 24mg/day brand. I know that most people can't tell the difference between the 2 as it is, but every time I've tried after a few days I notice cravings coming and stress levels going up, and depression setting in. What's cool is that for the 1st time in a long time I have some money in my checking account, not a lot but anything is better than nothing, and that feels good. I finally feel like I can start moving forward in life, no longer in buprenorphine purgatory. Has anyone else switched to the generic? If so how is it going for you? Please feel free to add whatever you would like to this thread, any input would be appreciated. Don't forget the lunch meeting tomorrow, Thursday the 19th of November, 1pm EST!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Found this while hunting for a cheaper way to get the generic...........http://www.patientassistance.com/D9344- ... oupon.html Good luck everyone and hope it does you same good, going to try it next time I pick up a refill let you all know if it works. CANT HURT!!!

Post subject: generic sub
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey whats happenin....jay I think??......i have been reading loads of threads here and have followed your "generic" threads very closely, but only as of today as this is when I found them! I wanna thank you and especially Dr. J for making this by far the most helpful sub site i have seen after 6 months of research. It is SOO refreshing to here from a down to earth HUMAN BEING like Dr. J and hear that everybody is human, unlike the popular belief of so many dr.s out there.......

I am an addict who has severe pain probs and been opiate tolerant since 2000-2001. Not the place for complete history so here is a quickie..............during college dr. scared of abusse, so never dosed correctly even after many attempts telling him to change.....tried numerous other means of pain relief besides narcotics.....eventually moved to " the contins" (oxy etc....) and above but then he wouldnt accommodate my tolerance (excuse spelling please!) . I then self medicated and got out of control and could not regain again. Finaly may-ish 2009 I started research on suboxone, bupe, etc and figured it would be much better than what I was doing. I understand the full and partial agoinist, and affinity factors/benefits of bupe and well...since 6/20/2009 I am clean because of it and have NEVER abused it even tho 1st dr. looking back, should have been a reason to abuse it or use again, but for some reason I didnt and moved on...

1st Dr. was a joke... all for the money, hate to be so critical but it is so freakin true, at least with him. Found another dr., 225 mile round trip, who is awesome, but it is very expensive to go there (take time from my business=money lost) plus my truck gets like 10 mpg, bridge/tolls (outta state) and then the script and $100 dr visit. Problem is, is that he is in an area which has very high IV usage and I believe he is reluctant in prescribing subutex. I just found out bout the generic from your threads today but will look into the pharmacies by the dr. to check into the pricing. I personally love the taste of suboxone, and would love the price if could save what you have saved.........rite aid is $6.50 per suboxone so even if it didnt taste like suboxone I would get used to a bitter tasting subutex for money being saved!!

Any advice onto how I should go about talking to dr. to switch to subutex. I never IV'd, all though have piled massive amounts of opioids into me when I was abusing and dont know if this will scare him away from the idea. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!!! Bill

I also want to add that I know there are many dr. locators online and I have tried many. Plus I am really comfortable with my current dr. and desire not to change from him.......also where I live it is rather difficult to find a dr. who knows what they are doing, arent all for the profits of my problem, and support the idea of long term bupe maint......thanks dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

firse time I switced it was from massave headaches. The doctor told me tat a lot of peoplr whom have that side effect SHOULD be switched. Also just tell him/her tat it is was cheaper and te same thing. you won't sell it on te stret, and you won'r shoot it so I don'r how why tey wouldn;t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

THIS IS MY LAST POST FOR A WHILE, SORRY ABOUT THE MEETINGS I FEEL REALLY BAD. tHE OTHER NIGHT AT WORK i SLIPPED AND FELL, i HIT MY HEAD...REALLY HARD AND i COULDN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS, AND WAS SLURRING MY SPEECH (FROM WHAT i HEAR) I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE MANAGERS TO JUST GOT HOME. NOT OFFER A RIDE, NOT CALL SOMEONE I KNOW, JUST LET ME DRIVE. NEXT DAY I USUALLY WORK 9 OR MORE HOURS ON A SATURDAY, YESTERDAY NOT EVEN 4. i told them i would take all the tests they wanted and nothing, When I got home that night my parents wondered why Iw was home, and why I was still having a hard time talking, I explained and buth thought it was drugs. I never act like tat on drugs so wy now, sober. Well I tried to tell my story and clear tings up so next thing I know i'm packing a small bag and sleeping in the car, after being punched in the face. Well I did take a couple xanax today to make it to work, figured if everybody "KNOWS THAT I STILL DO DRUGS" that what the hell. Also I was tol my my father, stop treatment, or get out. I told him tat if I leave homeless and dead, and if I stop treament i'm dead, mutch quicker :(
B.T.W., PLEASE HELP ME I WANT TO USE AND KEEP USING UNTILL I'M DEAD. PLEASE HELP, TALK TO MOM/DAD, ANYTING???????????????PLEASE HELP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:48 am 
JayJay - I am worried about you! I hope you get access to a computer so you get this. I'm so sorry things have taken a bad turn for you. Did you have a doctor check you after you fell?...you might have a concussion or some other type of head injury that's causing your speech to be affected or something. If it's the Xanax that's making your speech slur or making you act odd, that's another story...and maybe you need to not be taking it or else talk to your doctor about how it's affecting you.
In any case, you're family is probably just reacting to seeing a change in your behavior that scared them and/or made them feel you had relapsed. I wish they hadn't treated you the way they did....because that's not going help you. Quitting Suboxone sure isn't going to help you!
Whatever you do...don't give up, you've come too far! If you're reading this too late and something has happened and you've relapsed....it's okay - you can start over. Do whatever you have to do to get some help! We're all pulling for you! Please post as soon as you're able so we'll know if you are okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ok i'm back, I hope. Had a long talk with my family and even though they will never understand what i'm going through I tried once again to explain. They are smart people, but they act so dumb when it comes to my treatment. I've gotten brochures and paperwork from my Rx and web sites to go to and it's like they just don't want to know. I know they blame themselves for what i've done in my life, even though i've told them a thousand times that it has nothing to do with them, or anything that they did but that doesn't help. It sucks not being able to have them on my side, but I hope after all this is done I can be "normal" enough for them to see me as me and not see me as there addict son. Well got to go, gonna eat some turkey and try to forget about life for a day. BTW done with anxiety meds, and sleeping meds. I don't need them anymore and there just something that I don't need in my system, and they seem to be doing more harm than good anymore. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really glad you're ok jsp4th I was worried after your last post about how you were doing. My parents were extremely upset when they first found out I chose to start Suboxone maintenance. They knew nothing about Suboxone at the time but they assumed it was the same as methadone which unfortunately they have very negative stereotypes about people on methadone even though I've seen several other addicts really get their lives back together and start living "normally" while on methadone but I suppose that's another discussion (point being I see methadone as a great option if it's done right). Anywho after they started crying and telling me how dissapointed they were with me for starting Suboxone I stuck with it and as time went by and I got another job, re-enrolled in school, brought my GPA back up from 0.9 ish to my current average of 3.2, started making good decisions, got rid of all my friends who were still using, etc. (the list goes on and on) they have realized how much Suboxone has benefitted me and I'm not "impaired" in any way and that combined with what they've seen happen to others we know in recovery who didn't choose Suboxone and have unfortunately relapsed time and time again they now really support my treatment. They have even said that once I'm no longer covered by their insurance (when I turn 25) they're willing to help out if that's what it comes to. On the 21'st I celebrated 3 years since the last time I used and I cannot say for sure that I could have done that without Suboxone. I really think that if my extremely stubborn and thick headed parents were able to be open enough to see all the changes I've made then just about everyone else's family could be open to Sub maintenance as well if it's working. I really think that after more time jsp4th if you keep doing the right thing your family would at least have to see that while they may never agree with something they won't be able to deny it's worked and helped you to stay clean and well alive for goodness sakes.

Also on a tangent I do think it's a good idea to stop taking benzo's (if that was what you were talking about and if you're under the supervision of a doctor of course). I thought for so long that nothing but benzos could help with my extreme social anxiety but as I quickly found out benzos helped for maybe a few days but after that I was right back at square one. I had even tried SSRIs in the past and because of the side efffects I felt more anxious than I had before starting the medication. I got so sick of how things were though that I decided to give SSRIs another shot and after awhile (the course of several months) we found that after I had gotten used to the side effects and rode out the first couple of rough weeks that I felt much better than I ever had before and to my utter disbelief the change was much more pronounced than it ever had been when taking benzos and best of all SSRIs haven't stopped working for me yet and it's been about a year or so now. So if you're still having anxiety problems you may want to at least ask your doctor about trying an SSRI.

Anyways I'm glad you're alright and now it's back to finishing up some turkey day leftovers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Great news JayJay!

I am so glad you are OK, and that you have at least an understanding with your parents. I was worried about you.

When you hit your head so hard, do you think you had a concussion? That can mimic lots of other things - slurred speech, etc.

Anyway - glad you are back - and if you have to go it alone with outside support - we are here!

I'm also interested in how you weaned off the anxiety medications. I'm facing that in the future as well - but I want to tackle only one beast at a time. Great to hear from you!

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the advice with doctor for getting generic bupe.....BUT he doesn't feel comfortable yet. I never IV'd, never messed up with suboxone, told him, but IV'ing is big where his practice is so I think that is why he is reluctant....Thanks tho!!

I am glad everything worked out at home for you. My mother (father passed away) and brother (lil bro, 24) plus my best friends all wonder when I am going to taper, why I am on suboxone....drug for a drug, etc etc etc. I ask how long since they seen me like this and they cant remember. I say well isnt that enough proof that I should be on bupe for now, for ever, or whatever? Plus this is the ONLY script that I NEVER abused in any way....thats a sign!

I think it is really hard for non addicts to understand our situation(s), (I should say non addicts of opiates or an addict that hasnt hit a bottom and doesnt want help...., in my case, cause many friends/other family smoke pot and/or drink, plus I know people taking gaggers of coke, then asking why I am on suboxone and a lady friend that (not girlfriend, friends gf) used to IV heroin, hasnt for a while, but takes illegal pain killers black market all the time for "legit pain"(go to a doc, but anyways....) saying that her friend only used suboxone for this long so why do I need longer....come on, really!).

My lil bro is still in college, (I never graduated college, so that is held high over my head, different story....), so "he knows it all" or at least acts that way....not saying that all college students are full of themselves, but my brother is!....anyway.....he is studying phsyc, SSRI, etc, level 400s classes....he's not stupid I know, but he thinks that he understands my addiction. It is VERY frustrating as too with my mother not understanding it. (excuse spelling please)

I took care of them for years while fully addicted to many things, agoinists especially, but now since I am repairing my life and financial situation, they hold that over my head like crazy! They HATE that I cant pay every single bill of mine and theirs plus the houses anymore and that they need to chip in. I did make a promise to my father that I would take care of them if something ever happened (which he died soo suddenly, but he knew he was going to and thats why he told me to take care of them, haaaaa...another long story), so now I have that guilt to no end that I failed because of my addiction, and now they have to help me out.

I am 26, I think you said you are 24 but I could be wrong......so being around the same age I have somewhat similar problems. I am glad that you were able to talk to your family and make them understand or somewhat understand what you need and are going through. Good luck with everything .....and I know this was off subject a bit, but if I can help just lemme know......peace

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali