It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Board, Everyone having a nice weekend? Well here's my situation. On Friday, I started my induction with Suboxone 8mg tabs, and it was just great. The only downside is the cost of the Suboxone, which leads me to investigate the generic Subutex 8mg tabs, considering they seem to cost about 1/3rd of that of Subutex or even less. I would like to bring this up to my doctor as this is an expensive recovery (I am NOT saying it's not worth it, it's just an expensive process in a time where money is very tight, tight tight). He seems to be an amazing doctor, quite intelligent and reasonable. So I plan on asking him to let me try out the generic version of the 8mg Buprenorphine tabs. I know the supposed differences between the two, mainly being the naloxone being supposed to make it impossible to inject. What I really want to know, is for a person that is only taking their meds the proper way (SL, under the tongue), should there be ANY reason that these two are different enough that I should not try to save the money? I would imagine he would, as not only will I never abuse them, but I just moved back into my parents house for a while, to help me get my life back together, and infact every step of my recovery I have taken has been 100% my thoughts, ideas and actions, including finding the doctor and making the appts, etc. It's going to be hard enough to pay for my appts/scripts/etc. as it is and I can not stress enough how much of a lifesaver this would be to pay $2.50/pill as opposed to $7.00+pill! So given my circumstances does this sound reasonable to attempt to do? Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch between one or another(NOT including the almost nausea inducing orange taste, haha, I kid...no but seriously, yuck!) as I really need to save as much money as possible and I believe he will switch me but I personally want to be sure it will be just as effective. Thank you for reading, keep on keeping on Suboxforum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to switch to the generic subutex to help save you money. And I would definitely ask your doctor about switching. Just know that not all doctors are receptive to such a request. I have a terrific doctor and he shut me down immediately when I asked for the generic. Subutex doesn't have the naloxone in it and it is thought to have higher potential for abuse and therefore higher potential for diversion. Diversion is usually a doctor's explanation if they say no to putting someone on the generic.

Now that said, it doesn't mean that it's not worth it to ask. Some doctors DO in fact listen to their patients' financial needs and do what they can to help them out. There have been several people through the forum that were put on generic subutex to help them save money. It's worth a shot to ask for the generic. I just wanted to let you know that some doctors won't do it. Let's hope your doctor will help you out. Let us know how that goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do know that is the main reason, and I am hoping my parents HIGHLY active involvement in my treatment since moving back in will help, they have talked to doc, asked questions, and they also hold and dispense my medication for me, and watch me to make sure I take it(All at MY request, btw, not their ideas) so i'm hoping this will help. Thanks for the response. I will even get them to call and ask themselves if need be, as they are currently paying for it until I get my first paycheck at my new job i'm starting. Thanks again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: subutex
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

trying to find who sells this product (subutex) CVS has it on their website but when I called one of their stores they didnt know anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I don't mean to beat a dea horse here cause I'm sure this comes up all the time but, In New England were I started my treatment I had insurance for the first 6 months I took the orange tablets 3 a day, after being convinced to try the film about 6 months in my insurance filled one script and dropped me do to the crazy high price of the film. When they first came out they were charging my insurance like 22$ a strip. Having been showing great progress in my recovery my doc let me switch to generic subutex cause I was going to have to pay cash from there on, they worked just as well, they took a lil longer to dissolve and I could deal with the taste. I was able to taper down pretty quickly to 8 mg a day in about a year the financial burden helped. I recently moved to Tucson and once again I'm on the film, they cost 8$ a piece and I get 30 a month there is a 45$ coupon that helps but it expires in 6 weeks, so my first try at getting generic with my new doc was a NO! But now that I've been with him for a bit and he knows I'm responsible I'm thinking of asking again because this would save me 150$ a month. That's a lot of diapers man, and yes I half a baby boy who also helped me get off the pk in a big way and continues to be my inspiration along with my fiance. Any tips on how to approach my doc for a second time almost 6 months later? Thanks for any help and feedback, I just can't see not saving that money. Btw I never used pk by IV, thought I should add that.