It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Generic bupe
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know that many people without insurance would like their doc to rx the $2 generic-- but the doc refuses. Early in treatment, there are some good arguments for the film.... But for people doing well, buprenorphine is often a great option.

Consider printing out my last two posts at www.suboxonetalkzone.com and giving them to your doc. Many docs are not 'thinkers', but if yours IS, the info may help.

JJ

Post subject: Re: Generic bupe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on generic for awhile and it is more than $2 a piece. Last month I had the generic bupe pills and for 25 pills I paid $142. This month, which will be my last month I switched to strips and for 25 it was $120.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank You!!!
Even though I've been in recovery for 10 years, and with my current doctor for 3.5 (with no dirty urine drug screens- and I'm tested EVERY month),but my doctor is still adamate that no one except pregnant/nursing patients get anything other than strips, due to potential for abuse.

I have insurance, but the copay for strips is MUCH higher. And I dislike the strips- the 2mg ones are the WORST, because they take FOREVER to dissolve, I hate the taste, and I feel like they are starting to have serious impact on the back of my bottom front teeth. My doctor solved this by giving me 8mg strips to cut according to my dose, but I realized very quickly that the buprenorphine is not evenly spread over the strip making dosage inaccurate.

I take subutex now, since I'm pregnant & will continue taking it until my baby weans (so hopefully for another year). I hope I can talk to my doc again then and show him this info, so maybe then, he'll reconsider.
Jamie B

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea the savings are significant with the generic mono product buprenorphine tablets. I just couldn't afford the brand name Suboxone anymore and told my doctor. He is awesome and happily wrote me a script for the generic. I was paying over 800.00 a month for the suboxone film! And now I pay 200.00 for the tablets. It's really tough when you can't afford your meds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Could you link the specific posts regarding generic vs brand name. Their have been dozens, maybe more of entries since the link was posted Nov of 2011 and I could not find the ones referenced.
thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Pinkbarbie23 wrote:
I have been on generic for awhile and it is more than $2 a piece. Last month I had the generic bupe pills and for 25 pills I paid $142. This month, which will be my last month I switched to strips and for 25 it was $120.

Download Goodrx from the Google play store and it will generate coupons that you can use each time you fill your script.
I also get generic Suboxone and with coupon i paid $95.00 at Rite aid. Without the coupon it would of been over $130.00.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I love GoodRx! Since I lost my insurance, it's been a lifesaver.

However, you should definitely CALL the pharmacy to make sure they take Goodrx for bupe. I've been to a dozen pharmacies in the last 10 days trying to get my bupe filled. The vast majority of pharmacies I've been to DO NOT take GoodRx for buprenorphine.

Some say that they don't take GoodRx for ANY controlled substances - but I know for a fact that they do b/c they took it for my morphine.
This was the conversation I had:
"We take GoodRx, just not for controlled substances"
"But you took it for my morphine prescription last month. Isn't that a controlled substance?"
"There are different types of controlled substances. Buprenorphine is a Class 3. We Don't take it for Class 3"
(looking up class III controlled substances on my phone)
"It says here that Testosterone is a class III. So my husband can't get his testosterone here using GoodRx?" (just making shit up)
"No, we'd probably take it for testosterone if it's a valid prescription."
"So you just don't take it for buprenorphine?"
"Yes."

But maybe some of the other pharmacies that said they don't take it for ANY controlled substances were telling the truth. I don't know, but I've encountered incredible prejudice against this medication.