It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Howdy all you nightowls! - This is pretty long, and I apologize for that .... Hope at least one person reads it!

First I must say that, while I am new posting to this forum, I am certainly not new to browsing it. You are all great people for what you do - helping people through their own personal hells - and I hope you all know that there are many, many people too shy to post who couldn't do it without your advice!

With that aside, I'll give you the quick rundown (really, can anyone's story REALLY be quick?): I've been on opiates for about 6 years, with a few small breaks throughout. My DOC has always been, and will always be Oxycodone - but like most resourceful addicts I've been on everything at one point or another. My daily max back in the days of easily-abusable OC 80's was probably around 240mg, always insufflated. Last October I finally saw the writing on the wall - actually, to be honest...I was just sick of being broke all the damn time and sick of devoting 90% of my life to finding, buying, and using opiates. I was able to trade quite a few 30mg "Roxi's" for a supply of 30 Suboxone 8mg pills (the orange hex). I went from a dose of 60mg Oxycodone ------> 12 hours ------> 2mg suboxone and felt GREAT. I never used more than 2mg over the course of 24 hours, and often I would do 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night. I know that this isn't the best way to do it, but it COMPLETELY took away my cravings and I felt like a normal person for the first time in years.

Sadly, a tragic accident involving a pair of jeans and a washing-machine cut my planned detox run about 12 pills short. My disappointment could only be understood by people like you guys. Of course the rational, intelligent way to deal with this "loss" was to turn to an old friend, Mr. Blue 30.

That was about a month ago. My use (this time) has never gone above 37.5mg of oxycodone in one day. I have once again been able to get several (50) of the suboxone 8's and am ready to go. Normally, I would think waiting 12~ish hours and starting LOW again would work just fine, however it gets more complicated: I have been unable to find my D.O.C. the last couple days and have been forced to use different things to manage my discomfort. I have been using a high-potency, well regarded Kratom Full Spectrum Tincture and was also able to come up with a full 475ml bottle of Hydrocodone 7.5/ 500 APAP Oral Solution (liquid). My last small dose of Kratom was about 30 hours ago. I have used roughly 10 doses of the Hydro/APAP solution over the last 48 hours not to get high, but to stave off WD. (I know, I know - my liver isn't happy with all that paracetamol) My last dose was at 10PM Sunday evening, and I was hoping to begin my Suboxone therapy tomorrow morning when I wake up (around 10-11am). I know I'll be in a mild to moderate WD by then - I can actually already feel it coming on being just 5-6 hours from my last 7.5.

Anyone have any experience with mixing several different opiates and ANY possible changes to half-life/duration? I can't wait to put this behind me again - I'm disgusted at how quickly my quality of life has declined in my one month relapse.

Thanks for listening - sorry it was so darn long!

Years of high use has told me that I cannot do cold turkey again - too many people depend on me on a daily basis, and I know it wouldn't take long before I was back on oxy.

Post subject: Different Opiates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm 

Howdy DD and Welcome to the forum.

IMO, I don't see any problem with the different types of opiates you've been using when it comes time to induce again onto Suboxone. As long as you are in mild to moderate withdrawals then you should be fine. You've done it before so there isn't much more we can tell you about that part.

May I ask why you don't go see a Suboxone doctor and make it all legal? Isn't the cost of Sub the same on the street as it is from a pharmacy? No need to answer the question if it's personal, but wouldn't life be much easier if you had a steady stream of Sub that was legal to take?

How long are you planning to stay on it? If you read a few of the past posts here regarding stopping Suboxone you'll see that the slow taper works best. Maybe not for all, but most so far.

Whatever your motives are we still welcome you to join in our many discussions of recovery.

Rule

Post subject: Re: Different Opiates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice, Rule! I've enjoyed reading some of your reviews throughout my time "lurking" these boards.

As for the first part, you were correct. I dosed 1mg of Suboxone at exactly +12h (not that I was counting or anything) and fell back asleep with the "piece" of strip under my tongue. Not sure if anyone else takes them while snoozing, but I've always done it this way..I have a VERY active tongue according to my dentist so I have to be in a resting state to avoid dislodging/playing with the medicine.

Anyways, I woke up a couple hours later feeling fine. I took my other 1mg piece at this time and will start my 1mg 2x daily routine tomorrow. I had forgotten how how intense the first day or Suboxone treatment was and have spent most of today flowing through peaks and valleys: Periods of Giddy/Rush/Buzzing followed by periods of extreme drowsiness and lethargy. Feels about right.

rule62 wrote:
May I ask why you don't go see a Suboxone doctor and make it all legal? Isn't the cost of Sub the same on the street as it is from a pharmacy? No need to answer the question if it's personal, but wouldn't life be much easier if you had a steady stream of Sub that was legal to take?

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing too personal to share among people who don't just understand what you're going through, but have done it themselves.

I would very much love to make this legal, trust me. The risk, effort, and loss-of-pride involved in continuing this illicit lifestyle as a nearly 30 year old man, weighs heavily on me every single day. But with that being said, I still remain apprehensive when it comes to seeing a doctor. I do have insurance, but I fear my employer will catch wind. What complicates matters is that my (hopefully) soon to be fiance's mother is a Senior VP and majority stock owner of the company I work for. This "lifestyle" of mine remains a secret to everyone except the small group of guys I grew up with that, no surprise, also suffer from drug addictions (that's a story for somewhere else). I can't risk my family knowing, and I definitely can't risk my girlfriend knowing. The cost of this medication isn't really a concern (I get them for about $8-12 a pop, but would pay five times that if I had to). Risk is minimal too, as I know each and every person I deal with on a personal level.

Perhaps I am wrong on this, and maybe there is still a way to do this legally that wouldn't decimate my personal life. I would love to hear anyone and everyone's opinion on this one. How would I approach a physician in this position while already being on the medication and at a dose that I know works for me? There's no way I could do the "normal" two whole strips a day induction that they usually ask for.

rule62 wrote:
How long are you planning to stay on it? If you read a few of the past posts here regarding stopping Suboxone you'll see that the slow taper works best. Maybe not for all, but most so far.

I am in absolutely no rush. I have always been a believer in a sustained taper over a rapid taper, and even when I "quit" opiates in the past without suboxone I always brought myself down to the lowest possible dose before stepping off.

My best friend has suggested the taper that he successfully used (clean for 3 years now!), and I've seen similar ones from other people. It goes somewhat like this:

Total time: 4-6+ Months

Day 1 to 30: 1mg Wake | 1mg Night = 2mg total per day
Day 30 to 45: 1mg Wake | .5mg Night = 1.5mg per day
Day 45 to 85: 1mg Wake | Crumb/Trace as needed at Night = No more than 1.25mg in any given day
Day 85 to 1**: 1mg Wake | = 1mg per day, never more.
Day 1** to 1**: .5 or .75mg | = No more than .75mg in any given day
Final Two Weeks: .5 Wake EVERY OTHER DAY | = No more than .5mg every 48 hours.

Again, love to hear input on that as well! I think it's probably pretty clear i've been thinking about this one for a while...

:)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These secrets will keep you sick...especially when you are lying to the people that matter most. I mean. If your mother in law is a higher up at the place you work... wouldn't she want to help you? Also. Why would they fire you if it's all legit and legal? They WILL fire you if you get arrested for illegally buying Suboxone. Just something to think about for a second. But. When you buy Suboxone illegally you are having tying those of us that take it legitimately. We are looked down on due to the arrests, news stories, and that it might get really hard to get Suboxone if it continues. Just another thing to think about.

Post subject: HIPPA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am 

DD,

No one will find out about your Suboxone use via the medical field. There are privacy laws that prevent that kind of information being shared. If you have ever read all the privacy paperwork a Dr.'s office gives you then you'd know. They'd get sued so bad they'd be out of practice, so don't worry about it.

I worked for the government and was on opiates for 10 years and then Suboxone for two before I retired. Believe me, if a company is going to find out about Sub treatment it would be the Government. (Post Office) The only people in my life that know are close family. It's not really a secret but I choose who to tell.

So scratch that reason off your list. And you said you have insurance too. With my BCBS and the Suboxone discount card, I don't pay a dime for my meds. Can't beat that one.

Do some research and you'll see what I say is true. You have nothing to worry about.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

desert_devil,

Hi! I can relate to a couple things mentioned here. You asked how you would theoretically go about approaching a doctor when you're already on suboxone and at a comfortable dose. When I had to make my initial transition from methadone to suboxone, I was using suboxone that my husband (boyfriend at the time) was prescribed. Essentially, I induced at home by myself on someone else's script. We had just relocated and only had a certain amount of tabs at that time before we had to find a new doctor in the area. I explained to my new doc that I was given some suboxone and that it was working for me. My doctor didn't have any issue with that.

As far as your work situation, I get it. My side of the family knows all about our situation but while my in-laws are familiar with our DOC history, they don't know about the years of maintenance. They were put through the wringer as it was, so when we decided to go on suboxone we didn't want them living in fear of what would happen when we stopped taking it. So we just didn't tell them. Also, I worked for my FIL's company for several years.

If money is not much of an issue, why don't you just see a doctor without using your insurance and just pay cash? Just a thought..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too got off Opiates with buying Methadone illegally. It is actually fairly common to seek out help on their own (without a doctor) especially when we self medicate so well! anyways...the problem I had was that my methadone dealer disappeared one day and I was stuck without anything. So I went back to my same ways of getting opiates.

So to make sure you have a plan when you take Suboxone, I would go see a doctor so you know that your connect is not going to be gone and lead you to relapse.

And by the way... my family does not know I am taking Suboxone because they think its wrong because they are not educated on the purpose of the medication, so I totally understand the secrecy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 pm 

Hi DD! Good for you for fighting your addiction!

One thing I haven't seen you address is how you are planning to stay off opiates once you taper off sub. Tapering off sub is hard, but it's not even half the battle. How are you going to deal with cravings once you are on your own?

Have you thought of seeing a therapist? Everyone has issues of some variety, so your family wouldn't have to know that you are seeing a therapist because of addiction. There are plenty of therapists who specialize in addiction, but in other areas as well. A good therapist will give you tools to help deal with cravings and any underlying problems that may have caused you to use in the first place. My hope for you is that, with or without therapy, you can eventually trust your future wife enough to let her know about your addiction. You may be robbing her of the opportunity to be a true helpmate in your marriage if you don't.

I'm glad you're posting here. Keep it up!

Amy