It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Feel like I'm living out an episode, "Mystery Diagnosis!"

My 4-year personal quest to uncover why I seem to go crazy on Suboxone & not on Subutex has finally come to an end. And lemme tell u, uncovering medical information that validates what u've been screaming at ur Dr's for years about is an AMAZING feeling!! Hold the pills, I'll take this "high" anyday!

Having had a Roux en Y Gastric Bypass 14 years ago, I am well aware that I will have absorption issues with some (most) orally dosed medications. In fact, this is what led me to be prescribed unbelievably high doses of Narcotics for back issues/surgery for 10 of those years. However, I have always had great success with meds taken transdermally and sublingually b/c their absorption has nothing to do with my altered GI tract.

To make my incredibly long/complex story brief, I'll just give u the specs:
Started replacing my pain meds w/Sub treatment just over 4 years ago. And since then, due to pregnancies, surgeries, & changing Dr's, I have switch-hit taking Suboxone & Subutex. I've never felt "right" when I'm on the Suboxone; feels like I'm going crazy - extreme negative physical/psychological side effects. In fact, the only times in my 35 year life that I have been on anti-anxiety/anti-deppresent meds is when I'm taking Suboxone. Even being diagnosed with OCD due to my thoughts & behaviors during these time periods. I have ALWAYS contended that it must be something w/the Naloxone!
Then yesterday, while continuing my research on possible Naloxone side-effects, I discovered a few facts about Sub that I never knew.... "knowledge IS power!"

1. Eventhough Suboxone is administered sublingually, ony the Buprenorphine is absorbed that way. The Naloxone is swallowed, and essentially "destroyed" as it us metabolized throughout different parts of your GI tract & liver. In fact, in the average patient, the Naloxone never even reaches the brain to perform it's intended function.
2. Naloxone is "broken down" primarily in the stomach and duodenum (1st part of ur small intestine) before being sent to the liver.
3. Gasrtic Bypass patients do not use the majority of their stomach or their duodenum, as it is "bypassed" for maximum weight loss. (Hence the name) And therefore do not metabolize Naloxone the same way, which can lead to the drug "making it" to ur brain. And no sh*t, this is where the patient can suffer from extreme bouts of negative physical/psychological side effects!

Now while I realize this is a highly simplified explanation of a highly complex process, it is the essence of why GB patients may suffer such drastic "uncommon" side effects of Suboxone. Most Dr's may look at requests for Subutex over Suboxone as "drug seeking" behavior & dismiss the complaints of their patients & may never even consider their medical history. This is so SAD!

Anyway, if u or someone u know is having unexplained problems on Suboxone & has had a GB, send them this way! I want the world to know that this is a serious problem being overlooked within the Sub medical proffessional community!!

Ha - I AM NOT CRAZY!! (Told you!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:48 pm 

That is very good information TwinMama. Not that I understand the medical terms you mentioned but you wrote it out fairly simple so someone else can give it to their doctor.

We all learn as we go along. Too bad people have to suffer first to find the right medication.

r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, my name is brandi. I just read what you posted and I have to say, im not only curious, im frightened. I have been experiencing mood swings and aggression . I dont like the way I feel sometimes. Im also having stomach problems of some kind. Doc just told me yesterday I need a camera put down my throat to see what all is happening. I sure hope its not damaging my insides or even organs. I worry about it all. How its treating my body and over time what it might do. Ill be on suboxone for my lifetime. My dr said it and I agree because of my chronic severe pain and diseases...ill need to stay on it. I take 8mg and 4mg then 8 mg in early evening.in that order daily.. each dose spread out..you catch my drift..so anything u kno..any help ur willing to offer, ill take....thanks so much. Do I get an alert or email to tell me when soneones responded to my post? Cuz im not sure..my email ... phoebedoll82@ yahoo.com. just in case.thanks!