It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Very new to Suboxone and this site. Been on vicodan and percocets for over a year due to two herniated disks. Had surgery and just as bad if not worse. Been trying to get off of pain meds for a long time. Finally found Suboxone and Cymbalta. The Subs are helping but the Cymbalta is like a miracle. I have chronic pain which the Cymbalta is helping greatly. My main question is does anyone know the issues / concerns of gastric bypass and Suboxone. I had the gastric surgery in 2007. Started using Suboxone July 1, 2012. Thanks

bcu1220

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello there! And welcome to the forum! I'm sorry I don't know anything about gasdtric bypass and suboxone. I saw that you were a new member and just wanted to say hello and welcome you on board! Hopefully someone will come along and be able to tell you something about it. What exactly are you wanting to know about? That might make it easier for other members to answer you. Are you wondering anything specific?

I'm going to google and see if I find anything earth shattering! LOL, I'll let ya know if I come up with anything....

Again, Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome. Sometimes I fee sooo alone on this journey. I have a wonderful wife and daughter, but I honestly believe unless you are an addict you will NEVER understand the pain and stress of addiction. My reason for the post question is that after I had the bypass surgery my other meds had to be adjusted due to lack of absorption in my intestines. For example an extended release pill will not work in my body. I read that Subtex is better for gastric bypass patients. Just wanted to see if anyone has any input. Thanks.

bcu1220

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Never knew that
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:35 pm 

I've never heard of an absorption problem after having GB surgery but then I've never had it so I know very little. The thing is, with Subutex or Suboxone, it is taken sublingually instead of being ingested so I can't see how it could affect someone any different who had the GB surgery. It doesn't go into the stomach but is absorbed through membranes under the tongue.

How is your dosage going? Or have you even started yet?

Let me also welcome you to the forum and feel free to post away.

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome R. I actually read an old post on this forum about this. The post states this I copied and texted.

"the buprenorphine in Suboxone gets absorbed through your oral mucosal capillaries directly into your blood stream. However, the Naloxone, get's "swallowed" and after entering your stomach goes to the first part of your small intestine, the duodenum, where it's absorption begins. From there, the Naloxone is transferred directly to the liver by the portal vein where it is quickly and completely destroyed. Now, in your situation, things might be a little different. Because of your gastric by-pass, there's a chance a portion or all of the first part of your intestine (duodenum) is bypassed, and the stomach empties its contents into a more distal part of the small intestine. In such cases, Naloxone escapes "first pass metabolism" to the liver and can be taken up by portions of the intestine that are not served by the portal system, causing blood levels of Naloxone sufficient to cause brief, relatively mlld withdrawal symptoms. I hope this hasn't been the case with you, but if you have experienced or are experiencing withdrawal symptoms being on Suboxone, I would highly recommend that you address this issue with your physician and ask that you be placed on Subutex instead, which has no Naloxone in it. "

So you can see my concerns. I am not sure if this poster knows this for sure. Just throwing it out there. Thanks

bcu