It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello. im a newbie so forgive me if i say or do anything inappropriate. i am desperate. i am a diabetic and i am almost 360lbs. i went to a seminair about surgical weight loss because all of my drs say i am a prime candidate. i will die if i dont get some weight off my body and ive tried everything. surgery is my last hope at having a normal life. so i consulted with the dr and i told her that i was on suboxone and she replied as long as your off before surgery. she give me a check list of therapist and educational seminairs... support groups. i had to under go several procedures where i was sedated. upper gi, lower gi, they removed polyps and did a biopsy of my stomach. i had to follow a six month supervised diet and lose 20lbs. i had to quit smoking. which i did. i spent six month of my life really devoted to getting my surgery. after i did the chemical stress test and obtained surgical clearence my dr tells me that she will not do the surgery unless i quit suboxone for good. she wants me to sever ties with my dr. quit cold turkey and do 2 months of weekly drug screens to prove i am clean. i know people in pain managment on roxys and oxys and that wasnt an issue. its only suboxone. i was shatterd. i live in ky and i called six other places that do this procedure. all of them told me that they can not work on a patient that is in a suboxone program. my suboxone dr told me that i would be perfectly fine for surgery if i didnt take suboxone for 3 days prior to surgery... but no one will see me. i just dont think i cant quit cold turkey. im not ready. does anyone have any information about weight loss surgery or drs in my area that dont automaticall chalk you up and a drug addict that isnt worthy of a life changing or in my case life saving procedure. if i dont trasfer all my information to someone else soon i am certain that i will have to do all those test over again. thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Doug and welcome! I had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago, lost 140 lbs and have kept it off successfully. At the time I had my surgery I was hooked on painkillers and had been already for several years. So I wasn't on sub at the time. I think that is totally unreasonable and unfair for your doctor to insist you quit sub completely! Can you possibly find another bariatric surgeon who will do your surgery and keep you on sub?
I know all about the strict requirements you have to go through to qualify for that surgery believe me! I'm so happy I had it done and I really hope you're able to get this worked out somehow to where you're able to have this life saving surgery ( in your case) and be able to stay on subs!
Again, can you possibly find another surgeon to do this surgery? And also since your sub doctor agrees you can remain on sub, maybe he could talk to the surgeon? I don't know, I'm just offering some suggestions here! I hope you're able to get this worked out!
Good luck and let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks for your reply. ive tried all the drs in ky. they all agree that i have to stop subs. i know it sounds bad but i thought i would just go into pain managments and get by on real narcotics til it was over. i have a horrible back injury and a mri that clearly shows my issues... but i found out by calling 11 pain managment clincs around this area and NONE of them will take someone that has been in a suboxone clinc. they told me that i am labled as an addict and a drug seeker. that i have to stay off for a year before it doesnt show up on the yrs report you have to provide. its sad. subs straightened me up and made me wanna get my life in order. make up for yrs i spent in a haze. to get back in shape and so on... and because of it im not afforded the opportunity to have this surgery. all the people i went to the classes and support groups with got to have there surgeries back in oct when mine was scheduled and there all thin and happy and living these wonderful lives... and im here. all alone. losing mobility and independance. it doesnt seem fair. your labeled a drug addict. then they treat you like a second class citizen. again i thank you for any input you have for me. im gonna figure something out. goodnight ;)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow that really sucks! I have never had an issue with a doctor or surgeon while taking subs so it saddens me that subpatients are labeled drug seekers and treated poorly. Last year, I ruptured 2 discs in my back and was taken to the e.r by ambulance. I told the attending physician I could not have opiate pain meds due to my trouble of addiction to them years prior and that I was a suboxone patient and very proud and protective of my sobriety so to speak. He was amazing and treated me very well. He gave me a very small dose of pain medication and muscle relaxers to ease the spasms.He even asked before I was discharged if I needed more and I declined the extra shot into the iv drip. I dont get how doctors would treat sub patients poorly considering we are actively doing something about our addiction.

sorry you had to experience all that and I hope things work out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It is tragic how some people just do not understand. You are trying to literally save your own life and no one will help. That doc that told you you have to quit sub cold turkey doesnt know what they are dealing with. You are never supposed to quit sub cold turkey. That is inhumane. Im no doctor but I know quit a bit about addiction and opiods. They should have you taper down on sub and be quit 2 weeks before surgery. Then prescribe you a low dose of lortab percocet during the 2 weeks to avoid withdrawals going into surgery. After surgery you should get the standard script for pain management amd when you are done back on subs. Trying to go thru that procedure and come off suboxone amd the same time is too much at once. I say take care of what is most critical first being your weight. Then tackle the sub issue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I had gastric bypass in 2002 before my addiction to opiates. I was warned that I was at higher risk for alcoholism after surgery but nothing was said about controlled substances. I believe that I switched addictions to pain pills after the surgery because of untreated depression and death of several family members. Suboxone has worked very well for me for 8 years, no relapses and no cravings. I started on 16 mg (way too much for me in my opinion). I am currently on 3 mg per day My experience leads me to believe that it is very important not to go off suboxone prior to or soon after gastric bypass surgery. I can not imagine any medical reason for requiring you to go off suboxone before surgery. I could understand the surgeon making you agree not to go off suboxone for a period of time after surgery. Best of luck and please update us on your journey