It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I took a little break from here, but now I am back...

Anyway, I am re-scheduled for my gall bladder surgery this upcoming Tuesday- Feb. 7 th.
I'm down to 2 mg of sub- usually take 4 mg. My sub doc and surgeon have talked on the
phone: I will be given Norco for the post-op pain; and then I'm to go into w/d; and then
re-start my sub.

BTW, I had to get cleared by a cardiologist for this second attempt for the gall bladder removal
since the first attempt was aborted- due to increased heart rate- I was even given 150 mcg of fent,
and was on the OR table, too...

So, am hoping that it goes much, much better this time!

I'm going to update this thread during my recovery period at some time.

Thanks,

-ex-

Post subject: W/D to Start Sub Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 pm 

Hey Ex, good to see you back. I was wondering when they were going to schedule your surgery again.

It's great you got down to 2mgs. Any chance you might try to go to 1mg? It shouldn't be too hard to do, at least it wasn't for me.

Are you going to give it any time in between the Sub and surgery? It would be best to stop the Sub at least a few days before, preferably a week or even two so you get the best effects from the Norco. At 1mg it took me just about a week to have it work. Your system may be different.

And you DO NOT need to be in w/d to go back to Sub. I've done it three times now with no ill effects. Took my dose of Hydro the evening before and waited until around noon the next day to start the Sub again. No problemo, mi amigo. And even waiting until noon I felt okay. The Bup stays in your system a very long time. Give it 12-18 hours and you'll be just fine.

Good luck on your surgery and hopefully you won't have much pain. Watch those Norco's my friend, they tend to open addictive areas of our brains very quickly.

Rule

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

rule62 wrote:
Hey Ex, good to see you back. I was wondering when they were going to schedule your surgery again.

It's great you got down to 2mgs. Any chance you might try to go to 1mg? It shouldn't be too hard to do, at least it wasn't for me.

Are you going to give it any time in between the Sub and surgery? It would be best to stop the Sub at least a few days before, preferably a week or even two so you get the best effects from the Norco. At 1mg it took me just about a week to have it work. Your system may be different.

And you DO NOT need to be in w/d to go back to Sub. I've done it three times now with no ill effects. Took my dose of Hydro the evening before and waited until around noon the next day to start the Sub again. No problemo, mi amigo. And even waiting until noon I felt okay. The Bup stays in your system a very long time. Give it 12-18 hours and you'll be just fine.

Good luck on your surgery and hopefully you won't have much pain. Watch those Norco's my friend, they tend to open addictive areas of our brains very quickly.

Rule

Hi, rule- and thanks so much for your kind words and advice...
I did only take like 1 mg today- my surgery is tomorrow- so, I do not really have the time to
get down any further. However, ,I do see your point about not having to be in w/d to re-start
the sub. I believe that this is actually a common misconception among most sub docs- at least
it seems to be w/mine. I just do not feel like bringing this issue up w/him right now.

Oh, well. Anyway- I will post back about my surgery post-op...

Thanks,

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Surgery- Completed! :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Okay-- I've been home since yesterday- around 1:30 pm...
My surgeon sent me home w/ #30 Norcos. I've had to combine them w/ ibuprofen to help w/ the pain, though.
I'm allowed to take 2 every 4 hours- and that is what I've been doing. My pain is subsiding as time goes on...

I'm less nauseous, w/ my gall bladder out, now. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied w/ how I was treated by the
doctors, nurses and staff at the hospital.

That's all for now.

Thanks,

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So you were able to manage your pain with suboxone in your system??? thats great...I had a hard time my first surgery the pain was horrible the second time I had surgery I quit taking my subs 9 days prior because I couldnt find anyone who had had success with their pain management any other way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

ohsosheana wrote:
So you were able to manage your pain with suboxone in your system??? thats great...I had a hard time my first surgery the pain was horrible the second time I had surgery I quit taking my subs 9 days prior because I couldnt find anyone who had had success with their pain management any other way

Hi ohsosheana-

I *guess* that my sub was still in my system- I had gotten down to 2mg of Suboxone
48 hours prior to when my surgery had been performed. Then, I was put on Norcos-
and took 2 of those with 400 mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours- because the hydrocodone/
acetaminophen alone was just not cutting it for my post-op pain. I DID call and ask my
surgeon for "something stronger", but was told that Norco is all that he was really willing to prescribe...

So, I went through those #30 Norcos in about 3 days- went right back on Suboxone; and
had discovered that the sub had- and still is- taking care of my post-op pain a whole hell
of a lot better than the hydrocodone/acetaminophen (the generic version of Norco- which
I had to get- since Medicaid usually only pays for generics- which has not really been a
problem for me, by the way.)

Also, since I had a few "extra" subs- from tapering from my regular dose of 4 mg a day-
my sub doc told me that I could go ahead and dose up to 8 mg a day- for a few days for
post-op pain- *just so I do not run short* until my next re-fill. (I get #15 eight mg per month.)

Hope that I clarified things. :)

-ex-

-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

2 weeks after my surgery I started my subs again and i knocked my pain out ...... better than the vics did...but I was already two weeks out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am having gall bladder removal in just a month, I have just started suboxone treatment a few days ago. I was going to have had the operation last week but I was too ill for them to operate on at that point.

I didn't realize there could be an issue about suboxone in relation to gall bladder surgery.

In my country (Sweden) you don't get any painkiller except over the counter acetaminophen/paracetamol after such minor surgery anyway. Is there any other reason that one would need to change the suboxone? Something about the anesthetic they use to put you under during surgery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Sweden - depending on the procedure they use to remove your gallbladder, you may not need any pain meds, in which case you wouldn't need to go off your suboxone. It's a matter of personal choice. If you (or your doctor) decided the procedure you're having merited pain meds, then it's best to taper down and stop your sub 2-4 days beforehand to give the pain meds a chance to work. But if they are giving you general anesthesia, then the sub shouldn't interfere with it. Sometimes they add fentanyl to the general, although as a non-medical person I don't know why. I had it added to my general for an upper-endoscopy and I didn't stop my sub and it was fine. They also sometimes use versed and that, too, shouldn't interfere with the sub.

But I'd advise you to talk to both your surgeon and your sub doc if you have further medical questions. It's also never a bad idea to have those two docs communicate with each other, but ultimately that's up to you. And since you aren't going to be on pain meds, well, you really might not need to do that - again, your choice.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

QuittingOpiatesSweden wrote:
Hi I am having gall bladder removal in just a month, I have just started suboxone treatment a few days ago. I was going to have had the operation last week but I was too ill for them to operate on at that point.

I didn't realize there could be an issue about suboxone in relation to gall bladder surgery.

In my country (Sweden) you don't get any painkiller except over the counter acetaminophen/paracetamol after such minor surgery anyway. Is there any other reason that one would need to change the suboxone? Something about the anesthetic they use to put you under during surgery?

Hello, "QuittingOpiatesSweden"! :)

To answer your question- I would say that it really would probably depend upon your doctors-
meaniong the surgeon and the doctor who is prescribing your Suboxone... If you can do so-
I think that it would be a good idea to TRY to get these two doctors to talk about your post-op
pain management- if possible... (I did- and am so glad I did.)

Also- you could print out the paper titled "Acute Pain Management for Patients Receiving Maintenance
Methadone or Buprenorphine Therapy", too- and present both doctors with this paper. (I failed to do
this- but, at my post-op visit, I did present this paper to my surgeon- and he was open-minded about
it- and was very open to learning new things...but- all doctors are different, of course.

Lastly, I will add this: my anesthetist for my recent gall bladder surgery told me that he had to
forgo the Versed- a benzodiazepine that is used in some surgical procedures- because (he told me)
that the Versed would have "interacted" with the Suboxone. However, I've never heard of this before.
It really depends A LOT on your anesthesiologist, though- and, I would ask him/her if they have had
any experience with Suboxone patients- and have a conversation with them about your immediate
post-op pain management.

Well- I really hope that this helps you... And- I feel A LOT better, since having had my gall bladder
removed, too- FWIW. So, Good Luck with your surgery! :)

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmm, interesting about the versed and the suboxone. I've had a procedure done since I've been on suboxone and they used versed without issue. Now in active addiction and abusing benzos I DID have a problem when they tried to use versed on me. My high tolerance for benzos caused the versed to not even work at all.

I also recall many people on this forum have had procedures and versed was used. I think some former nurses on the forum also said it was an ok mixture to use. I'm now so curious as to why your doctor would say that. But then, you just never can tell when it comes to doctors and their education or lack thereof when it comes to suboxone. I'm just glad you didn't have any problems, ex.
'

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.