It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok let me first tell my story and give people some warnings. I found out I had a gall bladder stone a few weeks ago, 5 days ago I start feeling pain, the next day it's worst, I go to hospital. From there I already know what it is but drs always wanna make sure, so they run test, in the mean time they give me toradol, which really hurt my kidney (actually found out bout stone cause passed kidney stones that day). So they switch me to 5/325 perc, they knew I was on suboxone and I kept telling them and tried to explain 1 percacet is not doing it, suboxone is blocking my receptors and my pain is getting worst, we'll at the peak of my pain I was taking 1 perc and two 50mg tramadol, which didn't do much. And they put tracers in me, and luckily my gall bladder wasn't showing up so they gave me I think 30mg of morphine, which still barley did anything, thinking back I didn't start the perc till right after the tracer test was complete, after that and the two tramadol every 6 hours, I was blessed by the pain reciding. Well fast forwarding about 53hrs in hospital I finally go to surgery, waking up from surgery I expirenced the worst pain I have ever felt, it brought me to tears, deffintly 9 or 10 on pain scale, they then injected me with 1mg of dilaudid, then hesitating injected another 1mg, and finally two .5mg slowly because the pain would not stop, each shot barely did anything at all. The suboxone was really blocking my receptors, oh the last time I took suboxone was about 10pm the night I got to hospital, so about 45 hrs before surgery, and 48/49hrs from dosing of initial dilaudid.
From there they dosed me every 2 hours 1mg dilaudid 5x, each shot I felt a little better, idk exactly why, I have a few hypothesis. Well after that they gave me 1 more perc and 2 more tramdol, wrote me a script 20 tramadol and then discharged me.
They would not give me more no matter what I said or asked they were scared of causing me to relapse which honestly I think is backwards logic, if I wanted to relapse I would be more likely to relapse because they do not give me enough pain meds and I get desperate and go to the street, which did cross my mind, but I won't. So my warning is either don't tell them u are on suboxone and that u had a past drug problem because they are alot less likely to give u anything if u do, or stop taking Suboxone as soon as possible if u know u have surgery coming up.

But my question is, they told me to use my suboxone as my main pain med, which I honestly think ia very arrogant/ignorant of them. But idk know when I should start I'm very scared of going into PWD I have had it a few times and if I were to go into it right now with the extreme amount of pain I am already in, I will probally end up back at the hospital, which might end up being good cause then I could be like you guys told me to use my suboxone as a pain killer when I got home and blah blah blah, I might get some money. Lol. But seriously what should I do.
I'm really sry if this is disorganized I havnt slept since surgery because of pain, I'm gonna put a little bit more information here at the end.
I'm perscribed 2mg twice a day, usually take it all at once though.
I use to take like 20mg of dilaudid IV all at once so 1 mg is like a joke to me, especially with suboxone in my system.
Same with oxycodone, I would IV like 90mg atleast.
Oh one other question, will tramadol work with subxone, I have read it synergizes well, I'm scripted 100mg er 6 hours, but I'm probally gonna try to do 20mg er 10 hrs just because 100mg didn't do much at hospital.
Once again sry for disorganization, if I could I would call my dr, but it's Saturday and she ain't in office. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bless your heart hun, I'd hate to be in your shoes this weekend. They told you to take your Suboxone for pain management? I'd get on the phone right now and call my Suboxone Dr. and tell him/her everything and they may very well treat the pain for you. I've read where Suboxdoc, the Dr. that is over this forum does this when his patients undergo surgery and the surgeon has no clue what so ever how to treat post op pain. Good luck and feel for ya. If nothing else, remember Suboxone was used in micrograms to treat pain. If 1 mg doesn't do it, maybe 2 mg?? I seriously don't know anything about treating pain with Suboxone on that low dose. Hopefully some others will chime in. I think you explained your situation very well considering what you have just recently been through. Others?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry Bamagirl. I think that you are correct that untreated pain is a bigger trigger for relapse than any thing else. At least it is for me. Did you have your surgery lap.? If so, you could be feeling better very soon. Are you able to take ibuprofen? Might help. Sorry that you have been treated so badly. Sounds like the medical professionals are not familiar with pain management for patients taking buprenorphine. I had my gall bladder removed before I abused opiates and the RX for 25 5 mg vicodin was more than sufficient for my post op pain.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nobe,

Completely agree w jeandianne especially that 1-2 mgs is incorrect for pain when your on bup for addiction. I reread your post and its still unclear to me how long you are off bup? Makes a difference for PW's... Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's really messed up how those drs and the pharmacist lady in the hospital were, I really think it was the pharmacist lady that didn't allow me to get the proper medecine, she would come in and explain how suboxone is only partial opiate and percacet is a full opiate with tylenol, and I tried to tell her I don't like Tylenol and Toradol messes with my kidneys, and she's like perc 5/325 will work fine since it's a full opiate, and suboxone it only a half opiate. I would reply, but the suboxone blocks my receptors and does not let the percacet thru, and she would reply something like it will work fine and we don't want to give u anything else because of your past, like she actually knows me, if I wanted to abuse drugs I would not tell you I have used opiates recreationally. Argh, thinking about her pisses me off, she acts like she knows what she's doing and I'm an idiot, the only reason I would agree with her is cause I didn't want to argue even though I knew she was wrong.
Well the good news was my Sub dr did give me 40 more tramadol, which was ok because Tramadol actually works with suboxone! I was the one who suggested it when I got to the hospital and to the dr because I read about it online. So that is the good news, but I have some bad news I will be posting under a new subject. It's pretty important information...