It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Gabatrol
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr. J posted this last August:

"One of the forum's members recently contacted me about his experience using a substance sold on the internet to treat the symptoms of opioid withdrawal. The substance is called 'Gabatrol'-- not related to the pharmaceutical medication Gabitril-- and can be found on the internet at the site www.gabatrol.com. The member was so excited about the product that he contacted the product's developer, and the two are now working together to promote the substance for this use."

Has anyone tried it? From the discussion that followed it sounded promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was curious when I read your post so I looked into it. They call it a brain supplement and it's supposed to treat anxiety. Some reviewers/customers say it works as well as some medications without side effects. It supplements certain amino acids in the brain. I read one "scientific" (more like pseudo?) that seemed positive but didn't like the fact that it had GABA in it, as it comes in an artificial/synthetic form. I couldn't find anything about using it for opiate withdrawal, but if it truly treats anxiety then it really would help w/d's. Oh, and it's $57 a bottle. Interesting stuff.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wanted to answer on http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2511 but the forum tells me only moderators could post there...
Anyway. Then I post my answer here. Same topic...

Quote:
GHB is illegal, not to mention dangerous.

Both is untrue.
GHB is an illegal drugs in most countries. It is called "Liquid XTC".
But there is also a medication called "Xyrem". The active agent is called "Sodium Oxybate" which actually is pure GHB. It is used to treat excessive daytime sleapiness in narcolepsy patient and it is good for treatment of alcoholics.
Of course it is not illegal for that purpose.
GHB/GBL can also be used to alleviate opioid withdrawal symptoms. I was really high dosed. I injected 5-10g really good heroin per day. I needed 150-200mg methadone without heroin. But it was still possible to reduce all my withdrawal symptoms to maybe 5%-10%. I only felt mild withdrawal symptoms. I was able to sleep. I was able to work. Without that stuff, I would not have been able to walk without help after 3 days, cramping and puking all the time. 1ml GBL all 4 hours was enough. The same should be possible with Xyrem but I don't know what doses would be needed.

The Gabatrol website tells me, that it contains:
Phenyl-GABA
L-Theanine
L-Tyrosine
L-Gylcine
Taurine
Sceletium tortuosum
Bioperine

Phenyl-GABA is Phenibut.

L-Theanine is an amino acid with an relaxing effect. I tried it. I did not make me tired and it was not very strong. Nearly impossible to feel relaxation when I feel normal. But during withdrawal, I could feel that it relaxed me a little.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid, too. Maybe it will be metabolized to L-Dopa and that to Dopamine. Probably no decarboxilase inhibitor will be needed because L-Tyrosine should be able to cross the blood brain barrier. But I don't think that taking a little bit of L-Tyrosine will have effects on dopamine production.
But: When you loose your power and feel tired during withdrawal, when you lost all your energry, then L-Tyrosine probably can help. I know a lot of people who told me that it was a real wonder. It gave new energy during withdrawal.

L-Glycine and Taurine are amino acids again. Both are said to have neuromodulating effects. But I don't know if this is true and I don't really believe that taking such small amounts in those capsules will have great (feelable) effects - if there are any.

Sceletium tortuosum. I never took that stuff and all I know about it is what is written in English, German, Dutch wikipedia.

Bioperine. I think it is an extract of black pepper. Piperin, I believe. This stuff shall be capable to increase the bioavailability of some stuffs like curcumine for example. I don't know if it has any effect on the absorption of amino acids (I would believe not) or phenibut.

I thought that it could be possible that phenibut is able to reduce opioid withdrawal symptoms.
There are a lot of different GABA drugs that can reduce opioid withdrawal symptoms and/or alcohol withdrawal/cravings.
GHB can alleviated opioid withdrawal to nearly zero. Baclofen, Gabapentin and Pregabalin can reduce opioid and alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
I think it is not fully understood how those medications really work but they all are GABA analogs.
So I tried phenibut. I was tapering from levomethadone and sometimes used phenibut. When I reduced my polamidone dose too fast, I started to feel withdrawal symptoms. Maybe it is possible that withdrawal severity could be reduced when I take phenibut during severe withdrawal symptoms. I don't know. But when I reduced my polamidone dose I felt withdrawal symptoms as usual. I did not feel a difference.
But: phenibut helped with opioid cravings. I realized that I more often thought of heroin when I reduced my methadone dose. I was afraid that I will relapse when I further reduce my methadone dose that fast, because I always thought of heroin again. But when I took phenibut, I realized that my daily heroin thought became less. It reduced my cravings. Not to zero. But I felt good and was not always thinking of heroin. So it helped. There is a potential to use it for detox. It is probable really good for the PAWS time because it probably reduces cravings, anxiety and as mood enhancer.