It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I decided a few days ago that instead of tapering my Suboxone (decided to keep that for now for multiple reasons) that I would try to taper my Gabapentin. Mostly on accident I had only half of my dose 3 days ago. I decided, hey, why not, and kept that dose for the last 3 days (1 800 mg pill instead of 2) Today is the first day I've felt any sort of negativity and it's actually pretty minor.
I feel a bit physically uncoordinated and maybe a little..raw? But I'm fine other than that. Anyone else going through this or already gone through it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gabapentin rarely causes any harm from fast tapers, so it is usually just stopped, or maybe reduced by half for a couple weeks and THEN stopped. I'd say that if you get tremor, confusion, agitation, insomnia, or diarrhea, those would be signs to go more slowly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:40 am 

Hey gcor, I'm sorry I didn't see ur thread!!

My doctor doesn't allow his patients to take gabatin (I never spell that right). I personally don't see anything wrong with taking it. It saved me from withdrawal many times during active addiction. Anyway my point I'm getting to is that I've talked to several ppl at my clinic who had to immediately stop because the doctor made them and I don't think they had any real issues stopping cold turkey. I could be wrong but I know they stopped without any kind of taper. But if I had the medication and time, I'd probably just reduce and step off..... but that's just how I'd do it if I had an option to.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

Just like Dr. Junig stated, I didn't have any problem stopping abruptly from a dose of 900 mg's per day. (if memory serves me right) At the time I wasn't aware it was good for withdrawal symptoms. The reason it was prescribed was to ease some nerve pain from a previous surgery but it didn't help at all.

So one day I just decided to stop taking it and nothing happened. If you're on a high dose you might want to speak with your doctor but my guess is you won't have any issues stopping it. No reason to taper if there are no effects, right?

Good luck on getting off it.