It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: gabapentin anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Folks.

So this is not a big deal, but I'm wondering about gabapentin. My doctor gave me a prescription for this to help with WD during induction, but I ended up not needing it. I was worried about anxiety beforehand. but surprisingly...given my personality.... it never got to be an issue. And that's despite a few hours of PW. I think what saved me there was I was too miserable to do anything but suffer with the various tortures and torments most of us are all too familiar with. I just didn't have anything left over for extra worry. That said, I realize i was lucky given that anxiety is a common WD symptom.

So the stuff sits in my medicine cabinet. I was about to throw it away when I thought but hey, if it's useful
for anxiety perhaps I should keep it around for some emergency. I do get occasional panic attacks though
I''m learned to deal with them on my own pretty much.

My question is, how effective is it for anxiety? Also, any problems with side effects? Of course all medications
have side effects, or virtually all. And I'm the type to react weirdly to just about anything...

Does anyone use if for social anxiety? That's still an issue for me which I usually manage with an herbal.

Any info greatly appreciated...

G.

Post subject: Re: gabapentin anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It is one of the comfort meds people use when going through w/d's. If you plan on getting off of Suboxone, keep it. Otherwise it won't be of much help. My Dr. gave it to me and it did very little. I'm still on Suboxone and plan on staying on it for how ever long it takes me to want to stop.

BD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:36 pm 

Hey Bupduped! I just wanted to say that it's good to see you posting here! We hadn't heard from you in a while. :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey bd,

That sounds like a good idea. I do want to wean myself off eventually. I'm thinking down to 2mg this first year (from 24, now down to 12), then do a very, very, very gradual reduction from there. Whatever the smallest reliably measured fraction might be, that's how I want to do it.

Thanks again.
G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:18 pm 

Yes BD,
It has been a loug time since you ve graced us with your knowledge. Always a great thing when an old soldier pops back in .
Hope all is well Beeeduped.

Razor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:46 pm 

Godfrey,

You sound just like me in my first year, then tragedy happened and I ended up back up to a larger dose. In retrospect, I would never have made it had I stopped Suboxone after only one year. You may have a better AA foundation than me but my addiction was fierce and I know now I would have failed and ended up back on.

Now, over 6 years later, I'm starting to taper again. Very, very, slowly. Please, look deep inside yourself and know for sure you are ready to be off MAT. We kind of like you here and don't want to see you slip and O/D on us. :)

rule

P.S. Good to see you back BD. Don't be such a stranger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule,

Thanks for checking in. I like what Dr. Junig wrote about how patients sometimes complain..."You don't trust me!" And in response Dr. J. is always thinking, "Of course I don't trust you. I don't even trust myself!"

Makes me laugh every time I think about it. Needless to say the same thing goes for me. I think there are a
few things in my favor though. One is my age. Although I'm in good shape and all that, I don't have the slightest inclination to go out and find a dealer. I wouldn't know how at this point, and just can't even imagine doing it. So there's that. Then there's my inability to lie to doctors in the way I used to. Even in my best days I was never comfortable doing it. So that leaves the Internet. I could buy drugs that way, but my wife pays the bills so it would be impossible to hide.

Of course ultimately we get sober for ourselves. But I don't think I could live with myself if I put that sweet, kind, loving woman through any more heartache.

Just as a quick background, I have a chronic illness the doctors can't help me with. 15 years ago I seriously wondered if it was beginning to kill me. The pain was sometimes terrible, and profoundly affected every aspect of my life. My wife and I had long talks about this and when I suggested the possibility of trying poppy tea, she was all for it. I told her right up front I'd likely get addicted to it. But we both agreed it was worth trying anyway. The first 6 months felt like I'd escaped from prison, The effects gradually faded from there, though it wasn't until the 5th or 6th year when I began to feel conflicted as to whether it was really worth it or not. I'll always regret not finding a way off the tea more quickly than I did, but I can't change that. Just another in a long list of life's regrets. What can I say? We all have them, non-addicts and addicts alike. One has to find a way to forgive oneself. I just wish it weren't a daily project.

So we'll see how it goes. It seems to me that if I can't deal with the cravings after tapering, I can always go back on the subs. Far far far preferable to picking up that accursed tea again. Of course you're right. It's dangerous. But at 65 I have to believe some sort of surgery becomes increasingly likely. Yes, I know people find ways to manage, but it surely isn't ideal. And that leaves out the more intractable problem of severe pain due to sudden accidents.

So, as they say, we'll take it one day at a time. Your friendly concerns are deeply appreciated and entirely valid. I'll keep posting in as honest a manner as I possibly can..

Best,
G.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You and Rule sound like the same person. He went through a big C thing years ago and came out okay.

Today I am just so very grateful to the science of medicine for discovering Buprenorphine. Without it, I may have passed years ago. To me, it is a miracle drug.

BD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I personally love the stuff. I don't take it often because I don't want to create tolerate since it happens fast with this med. I take it when in detox, it helps rls and helps me sleep. I say keep it around. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks GM, duly noted :)

bd, you're right, rule and I have similar stories...We all like to think we're unique, but not so much...
:o

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I use it for neuropathy and a pinched nerve
It's ok, not great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I started the pills after a botched hysterectomy. In so much pain after a year that I had another surgery to try to find the problem & fix it. The Dr. gave me a 75% chance of success. Well guess what...I'm in the 25%! So I continued to take the Dr. prescribed pills.

I had an another issue come up & saw a different Dr. I mentioned that I believed that it was nerve damage. He prescribed me Gabapentin right away. I took it for about 5 months and it did help the pain some. Now for the bad part. I gained 15 lbs! I'm a life time member of Weight Watchers, so I'm sure you can understand my horror!

I have some of my RX left & I do intend to try it when I decide it's time to taper off Bupe. I'll probably gain weight like crazy again, but if it helps with WD and/or PAWS then I'm taking it!