It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Gabapentin and cravings?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I went to a meeting, it was kinda uncomfortable but I'll go back. Anyways, a guy told me he is given gabapentin to help with cravings. I got a script and have had it for 3 days. Since I've taken it I've noticed I have been in a much better mood, anxiety is gone, and I have no cravings. I don't get a high at all. Does anyone know if this is safe to continue? I know its strange because looking it up I found nothing at all linked to cravings. I was craving HARD, like couldn't think of ANYTHING else. I decided to try it and about 45 minutes later the cravings were gone completely and I haven't craved since. Any ideas??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gabapentin works through GABA receptors-- the receptors that moderate the actions of benzos. I've had patients who felt that gabapentin reduced anxiety and reduced cravings for benzos, but not so much for opioids. I have given it to people to reduce the anxiety during detox, and it seems to reduce some of the hot flashes, although that might just be a placebo effect.

The drug is safe, as long as it is being prescribed by someone who can avoid drug interactions. It is an anticonvulsant at heart, so it is likely associated with suicidal ideation in a very small subgroup of people (3-5% of those who take it may get suicidal ideation). Beyond that issue, though, it is a pretty safe medication.