It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:37 pm 

Just a little information on what happened with my surgery.

I was able to get down to 1mg before the surgery date and that helped tremendously. The surgery was a partial tongue removal and the worst pain I've ever experienced. Couldn't swallow for a week and could only sit and meditate and pray for the pain to go down to a 8 or 9.

They gave me Lortab 10/500's with instructions to take one every four hours. Yea right! I told my doctor I needed at least two at one time and even that had no effect for just about a week. So either the Sub was blocking the effect or the pain was so bad it didn't work. I truly believe I should have been on Morphine or equivalent in either patch form or some kind of liquid. I did not abuse them with the exception of taking two. This doctor is known to be a pain pill cheap skate. It was his nurse who told me that and she gave me enough pills for pain relief.

Today it is 15 days since my surgery and the pain is now manageable. I refilled the scrip today and am not sure when or if to go back onto Sub. I have one more surgery and then radiation which is very painful from what they tell me.

The next surgery won't be for at least three weeks so I think I'll go back onto Sub and try not to take too much. My goal once again is to be at 1mg the day before. There is not enough Lortab to last until then so I don't really have a choice.

That's the 411 on how my surgery went. Everyone has a different experience but this is how it was for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am not sure if you have a good sub Dr or not, if you do have you thought about asking him to prescribe the pain meds necessary to have pain relief? If you only have the option to get your pain meds from your surgeon did you give him Dr. Junig's info on how to adequately treat pain in sub patients?

I am just trying to think of anything so you do not have to suffer again. I don't understand why some drs will not take the time to educate themselves on the subject. Especially when it affects their own patient so much. I hope your pain is treated better for your next surgery and I am glad you are feeling better!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:04 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

rule62 wrote:

I was able to get down to 1mg before the surgery date and that helped tremendously. The surgery was a partial tongue removal and the worst pain I've ever experienced. Couldn't swallow for a week and could only sit and meditate and pray for the pain to go down to a 8 or 9.

They gave me Lortab 10/500's with instructions to take one every four hours. Yea right! I told my doctor I needed at least two at one time and even that had no effect for just about a week. So either the Sub was blocking the effect or the pain was so bad it didn't work. I truly believe I should have been on Morphine or equivalent in either patch form or some kind of liquid. I did not abuse them with the exception of taking two. This doctor is known to be a pain pill cheap skate. It was his nurse who told me that and she gave me enough pills for pain relief.

Today it is 15 days since my surgery and the pain is now manageable. I refilled the scrip today and am not sure when or if to go back onto Sub. I have one more surgery and then radiation which is very painful from what they tell me.

TO RULE 62: This is exactly why I am putting off my surgery. Hell, they should have given you 3 lortabs at a time, one wasn't going to do a thing. Actually I agree with you that you should have been on morphine. I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain. You know, I don't think it is all the sub, but also our addiction before...we took such high doses of drugs and when we start back we still need those h igh doses plus the sub problem. In my opinion this is where we become unimportant...I wonder if your sub. dr. even talked withyour surgeon...??..and Ialso don't believe they are going to sit down andread 5 pages of what Dr. junig says on the subject....never mind it's just your life here we're talking about. You were so worried about the pain management and also the outcome and dx. ...and they give you one lortab q4hrs....it's a wonder it wasn't a 5mg!!!!!! I think we have to really push our doctors, make them realize how serious this is for us..I would keep on nagging and nagging before the next surg. and reminding him of the terrible ordeal of the last one.

I wish you all the luck inthe world rule62and may everything turn out allright for you...........Judy

The next surgery won't be for at least three weeks so I think I'll go back onto Sub and try not to take too much. My goal once again is to be at 1mg the day before. There is not enough Lortab to last until then so I don't really have a choice.

That's the 411 on how my surgery went. Everyone has a different experience but this is how it was for me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:12 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

rule62 wrote:

RULE: sorry i messed up the last post...i never know where to put it!....Judy

Post subject: More Info
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 pm 

I tried to explain the Sub problem and pain management to this surgeon but he is a brainiac and wouldn't listen to anything he doesn't already know. Really had no choice in the matter as he is the best there is and if he couldn't do it then they were going to send me out of state. This doctor is so busy due to his reputation that the wait to see him is 3 hours if you can even get an appt.

My Sub doctor only told me to stop the Sub and use the pain pills after surgery. No, he did not call my surgeon. Between my new ENT, surgeon, and Sub doctor, not one of them will call the other physicians for any information. IMO it's an ego thing.

Other patients have told me that the radiation doctor will give you whatever you need for pain so at least I won't worry about that.

BTW, I've had three shoulder surgeries in the past and the pain was quite manageable. I guess it really depends on what you're having done. My sister in law who had breast cancer with a mastectomy never once took a pain pill. Go figure.

Post subject: Re: More Info
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rule62 wrote:
I tried to explain the Sub problem and pain management to this surgeon but he is a brainiac and wouldn't listen to anything he doesn't already know. Really had no choice in the matter as he is the best there is and if he couldn't do it then they were going to send me out of state. This doctor is so busy due to his reputation that the wait to see him is 3 hours if you can even get an appt.

My Sub doctor only told me to stop the Sub and use the pain pills after surgery. No, he did not call my surgeon. Between my new ENT, surgeon, and Sub doctor, not one of them will call the other physicians for any information. IMO it's an ego thing.

Other patients have told me that the radiation doctor will give you whatever you need for pain so at least I won't worry about that.

BTW, I've had three shoulder surgeries in the past and the pain was quite manageable. I guess it really depends on what you're having done. My sister in law who had breast cancer with a mastectomy never once took a pain pill. Go figure.

Oh man, I'm so sorry you suffered like that. It is such a tricky and tough and scary place to be. Did they give you Fentanyl to knock the Sub off? I think that makes a big difference. ((HUGS))

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh rule62'. i had that PAINFULL surgery you had and i'm feel/ feel for YOU!! it was the worst surgery
i ever could handle. man i also suffered for 8 months. on oxycontin- 100mg to 150mg big liquid bottle
cherry form. i was not sure if i was taking more of it? GET BETTER?

Post subject: Wrong City
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 pm 

I think living in Las Vegas has a negative effect trying to get pain relief. The addiction rate here is high and I think doctors are leery to give out addictive substances.

Johnboy, I wish I could have had some decent drug therapy but was left to suffer with pain at a steady 9, sometimes 10 whenever I tried to swallow. If you've been through it, you know. Never had pain like that before.

But yes, I am doing much better than last week and only have moderate pain swallowing. Still haven't had the courage to eat anything spicy or salty yet. Had my tonsils out at 13 and learned from that. Ate a potato chip after 2 weeks and thought someone had stabbed a knife in my throat! So my memory of that is still alive and kickin'. Maybe in two more weeks I'll try spicy food, which I love.

Funny thing is, after eating mostly soup with extra rice, my stomach has shrunk and I'm not used to high fat foods and don't crave them anymore. All I could think of in that first week was pizza, burgers, and taco's. All I really want to eat now is soup and light foods. Lost about 10lbs which really isn't much for what I've been through. I will end up losing more after the radiation starts so I will need to put the weight back on. Need new levi's but don't want to buy a pair when I'll probably put the weight back on later. Kind of glad I did have some extra fat on me to get me through the tough period. My wife says I look like the man she married 21 years ago.

They haven't scheduled my last surgery yet and now that I feel better I may as well get it over with ASAP. He will cut the shit out of my mouth so my throat will work but my mouth won't.

Now for the honesty. Ever since the pain went down considerably, and now that I can actually FEEL the pain meds, I have been taking a wee bit more than I should. Damn addictive brain took over as my tolerance got higher. I don't have enough pills to last until my next surgery so I will go back on the lowest dose of Sub that will keep my w/d's at bay. Sorry guys, I slipped. I HATE BEING AN ADDICT!!

You guys are really a second family to me and know that your support has been helpful.

That's the truth for today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya rule that kind of surgery is the most painful'. your throat is where you breath/eat/swallow/
taste/ 24hrs 7 days a week. throat pain does not subside as fast, like other internal organs do.
be sides the heart' i think it's the most active and sensitive.

Post subject: Re: Wrong City
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
I think living in Las Vegas has a negative effect trying to get pain relief. The addiction rate here is high and I think doctors are leery to give out addictive substances.

Johnboy, I wish I could have had some decent drug therapy but was left to suffer with pain at a steady 9, sometimes 10 whenever I tried to swallow. If you've been through it, you know. Never had pain like that before.

But yes, I am doing much better than last week and only have moderate pain swallowing. Still haven't had the courage to eat anything spicy or salty yet. Had my tonsils out at 13 and learned from that. Ate a potato chip after 2 weeks and thought someone had stabbed a knife in my throat! So my memory of that is still alive and kickin'. Maybe in two more weeks I'll try spicy food, which I love.

Funny thing is, after eating mostly soup with extra rice, my stomach has shrunk and I'm not used to high fat foods and don't crave them anymore. All I could think of in that first week was pizza, burgers, and taco's. All I really want to eat now is soup and light foods. Lost about 10lbs which really isn't much for what I've been through. I will end up losing more after the radiation starts so I will need to put the weight back on. Need new levi's but don't want to buy a pair when I'll probably put the weight back on later. Kind of glad I did have some extra fat on me to get me through the tough period. My wife says I look like the man she married 21 years ago.

They haven't scheduled my last surgery yet and now that I feel better I may as well get it over with ASAP. He will cut the shit out of my mouth so my throat will work but my mouth won't.

Now for the honesty. Ever since the pain went down considerably, and now that I can actually FEEL the pain meds, I have been taking a wee bit more than I should. Damn addictive brain took over as my tolerance got higher. I don't have enough pills to last until my next surgery so I will go back on the lowest dose of Sub that will keep my w/d's at bay. Sorry guys, I slipped. I HATE BEING AN ADDICT!!

You guys are really a second family to me and know that your support has been helpful.

That's the truth for today.

Thanks very much for sharing and your honesty. I am sorry you had that horrible level of pain. Keep sharing. We all help one other!