It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is doing well! I am back with a slightly similar question, but geared more toward future employment and not current...

So here is my dilemma….I’m currently looking for a new job and suboxone is on my mind. So from what I understand, suboxone will not show up in a drug test unless specifically tested for. I also understand that it will show up in a 10 or 11 panel drug test as bup and will not show as anything else. Also from what I hear is that bup is not tested for in a panel 5 drug test and that is what most employers use, or the company they use rather.

So I have been clean for a long long time now and only take suboxone, but here is my problem. Should I disclose that I take suboxone, not disclose and hope they use a 5 panel test, or use a masking agent in hopes that will cover up the subs/bup?

My real world concern is that my future employer will discriminate once he/she sees that I am on suboxone. Now I know that this is not supposed to happen, but I am talking real world scenarios where this type of stuff can and probably does happen.

I need to make up my mind on how I would proceed soon because I have a second interview coming up next week. Has anybody been in this situation? Any advice for someone who is on the fence with all 3 scenarios?

Keep in mind, I’m not totally sure that scenario number 3 (masking agent) will actually work. I have used the same product for masking pot in the past, but the site does not claim that it will in fact mask bup but it seems to mask almost everything else for 8 hours.

Post subject: drug testing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:41 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My husband just scored a wonderful new job and he had the same concerns about the sub showing up on the test. He did not disclose that he was on suboxone and it did NOT show up on the test. I am fairly positive they used a 10 panel bc he will be driving a truck. So you should be fine! Good luck with your job search!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lul…that is awesome to hear! Thank you! So it sounds like I would be fine not saying anything at all.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would absolutely not disclose it and here is why......

When you take a urinalysis and you test positive for anything. the first thing they do is contact you/ your doctor to verify that you do in fact have a prescription for the drug. if you do, they won't even tell your employer. i actually asked an employee at Quest Diagnostics, the people who do our testing. if you have a doctor's prescription for any medication as long as you are not "overmedicating" yourself you are not breaking the law and there would be serious ramifications if your job tried firing you for medical reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh and by the way,\

they don't test for sub at my work and we take home the truck every night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Night…

Yea know that was my EXACT impression prior to speaking with my suboxone doctor. She said that I absolutely HAVE to disclose everything prior to getting tested. She also claimed it would show up as an opiate. Now right when she said that, I was like it doesn’t sound like she knows what she’s talking about. I asked her like 3 times, “are you sure it shows as an opiate?” she said absolutely.

So walking out of the office that day, I was boggled. Because I have researched this before and found that it has to be specifically tested for. I was also boggled because this woman tests me every single time I come in for a visit and I know she is looking for suboxone in my system along with traditional opiates. I mean if we go with that line of thinking, then that means she cannot tell if I am using suboxone everyday or Percocet. Just plain strange.

I mean I hate to bash doctors because I happen to know a lot of great ones, but from reading this forum and other stuff it really seems like the type of doctor that gets into suboxone treatment are never the brightest. Now of course there are exceptions, but from an overall view I’m not impressed :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is so sad to hear and read some of these stories. What doctor claims Sub shows up as an opiate on a drug test? ANSWER: A doctor who has no clue and clearly does not do drug testing with his/her patients. You were smart to question her. Too bad you were not able to respond by saying "Really? If Sub shows up as an opiate, why are there seperate drug tests for Sub then?" I would have loved to have heard that answer.

I guess in the end, we all need to always remember this little riddle:

[align=center]What do they call the person who graduated last in his class in medical school?

ANSWER: They call him "Doctor"[/align]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i applied to police departments and they didnt test for subs, so as for regular employers i would not worry about it. i actually called labcor and quest diagnostics a month ago and asked if they tested for subs and one didnt know what it was and the other ssaid no. unless other states are testing for it i dont think its anything to worry aobut. i also wouldnt disclose it unless they ask about which they arent allowed to do unless your applying for some crazy government or state job and even for police jobs they dont ask anything like that. i was asked if i had ever tried bupe on a polygraph and i just said no.