It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Perhaps one of the mods can explain what would seem to be Dr J's payments from Big Pharma? Perhaps I am wrong, but this would seem to be an undisclosed conflict of interest issue worth an explanation to the forum.

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

https://projects.propublica.org/docdoll ... id/1170487

If I am reading this correctly, Doc Junig gets paid honorariums for speaking engagements from Bunevail. That is a brand of Subs.

http://www.bdsi.com/other_bema_products.aspx

Now this all makes more sense... Had a feeling something was amiss here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:29 pm 

This site has been around for much longer than bunevail. Dr. Junig used his own funds to create this forum in 2008, when Reckitt Benkheiser was the only game in town. Dr. Junig has criticized RB on this website. I will find you the link.

Dr. Junig has a psychiatry practice, works at a methadone clinic, writes for various websites and professional journals. If he receives money from bunevail, a product that he prescribes and believes in, I have no problem with that. He has had hundreds of clients on various buprenorphine drugs. If he thinks that this particular brand works the best, then he can speak in favor of it and receive money for that. This is America after all. He never pushes bunevail on this forum, so I don't see where the conflict of interest lies.

I'm sure he will answer you when he has an available moment.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:08 pm 

This is one link where he is referencing the FDA Denial of RB's citizen petition:

post92246.html?hilit=benckiser#p92246

This is his blog post about it:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/reckitt-ben ... ne-denied/

We lost some of our archive of older posts so this is what he is referencing:

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/cpresponse.pdf

Very anti Reckitt Benckiser, the orginal maker of suboxone. Sorry that I've been misspelling the company name in my last post.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm 

In order to connect the information you have to some sort of conspiracy, you would need to prove that Dr. Junig started this forum to promote Bunavail (which is the correct spelling). This forum was created in 2008 before Bunavail was created.

Or you would need to prove that Dr. Junig uses this forum to promote Bunavail. Feel free to search for any evidence of that.

Dr. Junig is on record all over the place promoting and supporting buprenorphine treatment for opiate addicts. He has helped hundreds of patients get their lives back on track by prescribing buprenorphine products.

What do your links prove? Nothing. We already know that he is pro buprenorphine. If he has found a product that he endorses in his spare time, so what? What are you asserting that he is doing wrong? If you're just trying to slander him then you will eventually be banned.

And why don't you give us your full name, address, phone number, email so we can research what your motivations are. Dr. Junig's motives along with his information are quite transparent.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:24 pm 

Please tomhunter, tell us what exactly Dr. Junig is doing wrong, because the more I look at your post, the more it looks like you're grasping at straws. Not a very well thought-out plan.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My sentiments exactly Amy. This is the field Dr.J does his lifes work in. There is nothing wrong or underhanded in him getting paid by the Pharma Co.s he utilizes. Rather than seeing it as a conflict of interest one could see it as a perk of his trade. It's a matter of interpretaion.

megster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:04 pm 

My one question is, why do u care? I say bravo Dr J!!! And tomhunter, the only problem u seem to have with this forum is that u aren't able to bash the medicine that YOU are taking because the moderators don't allow bashing and insults. The mods don't get paid to do this, we're volunteers. If u want to be a member here and actually encourage ppl who are taking suboxone, that's great, but if ur only intent is to prove some kind of "I knew I was right and now it makes sense" go to a sub hating bashing forum, not here. That's what it all comes down to isn't it? Ur links doesn't matter to me honestly, Dr J has continuously helped ppl here with advice and didn't receive a penny for it. Why all the negativity?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have little to disclose-- and certainly nothing I'm ashamed of. I've written about my work elsewhere-- it is all on my CV, my linkedin account, and I believe on my practice web page.

I worked hard for pharma in the past, and was paid for that work. Most of my work was during the time I set up my practice, and balanced a part-time practice with part-time consulting. I'll get to details, for those who are interested--

The 'big story' that starts this thread has been on a web site called 'propublica' for a number of years. The web site is funded, literally, by that wonderful humitarian and billionaire George Soros. There are a few idiots out there-- and Tom Hunter may be one of them-- who say the word 'big pharma' and think it means something, like 'Koch brothers!' or some other political buzz word. There is nothing I would say that will please those types if idiots-- so if anyone thinks that way, feel free to scurry off and stir up the tent somewhere.

I made around 20K per year betwen 2006 and 2010 working for several companies-- the manufacturers or Pristiq, Seroquel XR, Vyvanse, and I think Viibryd(?) The work consisted mostly of speaking engagements, where I would speak at lunches or dinners for doctors, nurses, and pharmacists to teach about the use of a new medication. Most of my work was for Vyvanse, as I truly believe--- still do-- in that medication, as it is a virtually-unabusable form of amphetamine. I would get paid around $500 to speak. For that money, I would usually drive a couple hours each way, and speak for about 2 hours. So it was 'good money'-- about $100 per hour. But sometimes the meetings occurred at night, a couple hours from home, and the payment was the same whether or not the speaker says the night away from home at a cheap motel in Northern Wisconsin-- where I usually gave the talks.

Even when closer to town, doing a lunch meant shutting down the practice for a few hours-- which was not a big deal when starting up, but would not make those talks of little interest to me. That's why I've done one such talk in the past 2 years.

I worked for Reckitt for about 6 months in a similar way. I would go to the office of a doctor who wanted to prescribe buprenorphine, and I would spend a few hours explaining how to prescribe the med. While doing that for Reckitt, I wrote several blog posts criticising their efforts to prevent generics. One of them was entitled 'does RB have blood on their hands?' It may have been a coincidence, but I don't think I had programs for them after that. The entire sum I received from Reckitt was less than $2000 (spread over several years), so not a big deal. Not sure how my brain was complicated enough to do the several talks for them, and still criticise them! (I'm joking-- I just know that the concept will make Tomhunter's head explode!)

By the way--- for tomhunter-- THIS was how docs found out about new medications. Doctors go to med school, and then practice medicine with few oppotunities to learn about new meds or approaches. For years, the instruction about new meds came from these types of talks. After obamacare and the 'sunshine act', pharmacies cut back on such programs, and instead now get the word out through ads in medical journals and by non-physician salespeople. I think most doctors preferred learning about meds from their peers, as we could truly address their concerns better than salespeople reading from a marketing script. But the tomhunters of the world get their undies in a bundle at words like 'big pharma', and so the companies changed to 'lawyered up' ads that we are now all familiar with on TV. Another great example of how government programs cause unintended consequences to the point where their names become oxymorons: 'sunshine act' among them.

Let's see, what else... Bunavail. If you go back in my blog posts, you will find my explanation about why I never talk about them on the blog or forum. In fact, I think there is a thread about it somewhere on this forum-- some 6 months ago or so, someone criticized me for never mentioning them. I answered that I don't write about them because I have worked in a consulting relationship with them as a speaker, and so there was a conflict. Do you get that, tom? I DON'T write about Bunavail because I didn't want some idiot like you to think that it would 'mean something.' Personally, I think Bunavail is a great med--- with a number of advantages I would love to write about. I just didn't think it proper, since I am a speaker for that company.... even though I've only spoken ONE time in the past couple years since they came out. I just don't have time for speaking engagements anymore.

A couple things that educated people already know... it has always been illegal-- a felony-- for pharmaceutical companies to give money to any prescriber, in exchange for that doctor to prescribe a certain drug. Pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to 'give' money to doctors. They pay doctors for a range of professional services--- such as helping their sales force understand basic science or how a med works, running clinical trials, giving lectures to other doctors or pharmacists, etc. If a sales rep leaves so much as a pen behind in a docs office, the rep drives back to pick it up-- that's how careful they are about those rules.

I'll post this thread as a sticky-- and move on. This forum is about buprenorphine-- not me. The money I made as a speaker from 2006-2010 was for the meds mentioned above--- and the only thing related to buprenorphine or Suboxone was my few months with RB. I think my 'credentials' as a critic of RB are unimpeachable. If you question that, search for the company on my blog!

To the moderators--- If tomhunter continues to distract over this issue, just ban him and move on. To the others-- feel free to private message me if you have a question or concern.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:36 pm 

Will do, Dr. Junig!

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that to us. I've asked tomhunter to express what exactly it is that he's accusing you of, and he doesn't know. Perhaps the fact that he's made a fool of himself here means that he will go away, or maybe he's mature enough to admit when he's wrong and move forward.

In any case, if tomhunter replies with anything that hints of disparaging you or this forum he will be gone permanently.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I little general disparaging is fine...my skin isn't SUPER thin ..... :?

The thing that annoyed me the most from propublica is something that I would think ALL addicts would find insulting. I don't know if they still do this now, but when they first came out with their web site, it listed 'bad doctors who got money from pharma'-- me being 'bad' because of being discipined in 2001, when I was treated for opioid dependence.

I wrote to propublica at that time they first came out and explained to them that I wasn't a 'bad doctor'-- at least not at this point. I explained to them that I became addicted to opioids years earlier, as an anesthesiologist, and I went through treatment and over 6 years of monitoring, then changed my career to a psychiatrist and did 3 years of psych residency. I explained that my 'bad doctoring' occured 10-15 years ago, when I did a completely different type of medicine (and frankly, did a good job as an anesthesiologist up until my addiction started during the last year of that career). I explained that the work for pharma was done years later, as I started my new career in psychiatry.

Propublica responded that the career change didn't matter, and they thought people should know that a 'drug addict' is taking money from pharmaceutical companies. Of course on their web site they make it sound like the companies just 'give money' for some reason. All of the 'payments' listed on those web sites are for work done for the companies.

It was just one more painful experience similar to what most of the people here have gone through, or will go through, at some point. I find it to be the ultimate hypocrisy that someone who makes billions by manipulating currencies of debtor nations funds these types of web sites.