It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

"It's been a while since my last post, I hate to say it but I'm still on Oxy and Hydro and I am having a terrible tim with it.

I’ve used many pain drugs after my auto accident; my Dr. and I are trying to taper me down with the idea of coming off for good. I’m sorry I’m not looking on the bottle but I’m not sure it’s even irrelevant because it’s so little? I usually take Oxy and Hydro for 5 years now since my accident; since there was an error with my meds and my script I’m left with doing this cold turkey… or trying Sub? As about 3 days in I’m just dying; It’s awful! I’m gonna try sub, I have the drug but that’s another story.
So due to an error I am gonna have to make it through the week, or maybe not…. Also, he wrote me a low dose of Morphine to get through my 2 weeks to fill; it must be a very small dosage because it does absolutely nothing..? I know It has a stronger half-life than Oxy and Hydro, is it okay to go from Morphine to Suboxone? How long do I need to wait to begin my Suboxone? I’ve only been on Morphine for just a couple weeks and, as I see now (after tearing my room apart) he has me at 30mg Morphine, 3 a day. I always thought that Morphine was one of the strongest, but truly I feel nothing at all. I appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Post subject: Funny Thing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:19 pm 

Years ago I also had morphine and didn't feel a thing on it. It did work well for the pain but just didn't get that 'High" feeling like I was used to with a Hydro/Soma mix. In my mind, if I can't feel high it must not be working.

But as far as going from morphine to Sub, I can't say. That's one for the doctor. I do know the stronger meds you're on the longer into w/d you have to wait to start the Sub. Morphine is not one we've discussed too much here. But isn't it also called Oxycodone? Let's see what the others have to say.

Post subject: be careful
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm not a doctor or any kind of expert but from what you say I think you need to be careful--you really do not want to go into precipitated withdrawal by taking the sub too soon. Even though you say you can't even feel the morphine, it seems to me that 30 mgs several times a day is actually a lot. You should definitely talk to your doctor, but also, the thing to remember about how long to wait to start sub when switching from another opiate is that there is no set amount of hours -- the point is that when you take your first dose of sub you need to be in withdrawal already, so you should go by your symptoms, (many reccommend that you look up COWS scale and use that to assess your WD) NOT how many hours it's been. Hopefully your doctor can help you with this issue too. Good Luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morphine is not the same thing as oxycodone. Oxycodone is the active medication in oxycontin. Morphine is just morphine.

As far as induction to suboxone from morphine it shouldn't be too bad. Morphine has a pretty low half life. Induction is very similar to oxy.

I have a really good website but since I am new I can't post it. You can find it yourself. It's on the Naabt website. It's called the COWS chart, precipitated wtihdrawal. COWS (clinical opiates withdrawal scale) is a really good way to objectively measure your withdrawal. Suboxone will only help if you are in w/d.

You will have to wait until you are at least in moderate withdrawal. The chart I provided has a table which can help you figure out if you are ready. Score you symptoms, add them up and see. 24 hours is around the amount of time you will have to wait until your first dose of suboxone. Then take 1-2mg, wait an hour and see how you feel. Take more if needed.

Suboxone is very strong. Supposedly it is 30 times more potent than morphine so you will not need that much suboxone. The lower the suboxone dose you start with, the easier it will be to stop later as high dose suboxone carries pretty bad withdrawal on its own. But very low dose suboxone has pretty easy w/d.

I hope this was helpful. I have years of experience with suboxone. I even got on it after methadone which is a hell of a switch but I was able to do it without experiencing precipitated w/d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Zyggy. Morphine does not have an especially long half life like fentanyl or methadone, so it shouldn't be a big problem switching over to sub. The COWS that was mentioned is here: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf. It tells you how to ascertain when you should be ready to induce onto suboxone. It scores your withdrawal symptoms. It is really very helpful. Also, when it comes to being in w/d before your induction, it's not a matter of how long you're in w/d, but HOW BAD those w/d are. That's where the COWS comes into play.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions, just ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I went from methadone too suboxone and for three weeks after I stopped taking methadone my dr put me on morphine ( it was a high dose if I remember right) bascially told me to take as much as I needed so I woudnt get sick, his reason was that half life of methadone is very long annd the half life of morphine was very short, then I went 3 days with nothing and on the third day I was given suboxone and it work immediatly no problems.