It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

http://www.nj.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2 ... rt_m-rpt-1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:28 pm 

Very interesting article! Good feedback versus negative feedback seems to depend on who you ask, when we probably should be looking at scientific data.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Suboxone isn't the monkey-- it's zookeeper who put the monkey in his cage. I'm always amazed at how people choose to resent the thing that saved them from a life of hell-- or death. The division in the medical and political community comes from ignorance. Anyone who has experienced the monkey and then lived while taking buprenorphine, should remember the difference-- so that the ignorant can be educated.

Of course, you can always go back to the monkey. I've seen people make that choice-- and it doesn't usually end well. The buprenorphine-resenters should realize that some states are close to shutting down buprenorphine-- or at least eliminating the ability to prescribe the medication. Would you prefer to pick up your dose of buprenorphine at 6 AM each day? That's where ignorance is taking us.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buprenorphine being placed in a clinic type setting like methadone, with the same or similar ridiculous hoops to jump through in order to be able to take my medication at home like any other adult with an illness, is a positively frightening, disheartening prospect. Some of the very people who are pushing for this over regulation are patients in medication assisted treatment themselves. ....namely methadone patients. Why? They either really don't understand the medication, and assume it's like methadone, or is plain old fashioned jealousy of the way buprenorphine patients can be prescribed a take home supply of medication early in treatment. I've even read and had very unpleasant encounters with so called patient advocates for people in MAT. I'm left shaking my head here. My life is 1000x better with my addiction in full remission thanks to buprenorphine, and some changes on my part also. But without the buprenorphine, I wouldn't be able to make the changes in my life necessary for recovery. Active addiction was certainly the thousand pound monkey on my back. Buprenorphine is the medication t that made it possible for me to throw that "monkey" off! I too wish people who have achieved recovery with the aid of medication, would realize what an amazing and effective treatment suboxone really is, and give it it's due credit, instead of so much resentment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read an article about the use of buprenorphine in NY, that had a chart showing a huge drop-off in prescribers of the medication. Meanwhile Ohio is on the verge of regulating the amount of buprenorphine a doctor can prescribe (a max of 16 mg per day), and mandating either counseling or AA for ALL patients on buprenorphine. There are other states that are considering similar changes. Some are considering banning plain buprenorphine, which will require uninsured patients to pay 3 or 4 times as much for their buprenorphine to buy the 'premium' brands, rather than inexpensive generic buprenorphine.

None of the laws will put me out of business-- but they will make it more difficult to provide buprenorphine prescriptions, without requiring patients to do things that are unhelpful in many cases.

I don't want to stifle conversation-- but realize that the non-medication recovery industry has been working to shut down buprenorphine treatment for years-- and making progress in some areas. Given their track record of treating patients (or lack thereof), it is a shame that they have been able to negatively impact buprenorphine treatment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

another good post. Thankfully i followed this link. Thanks! though it's been a year, but it's a good read.