It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to start by sharing my story. Thanks for the opportunity to do so.

By the time I was 15 years old, my life had spiraled downhill due to personal and family issues. I had begun to feign illness in order to get my father to leave me alone and be nice to me. One of the symptoms I complained heavily about was severe headache. My parents took me to the doctor and he prescribed Percocet. I took the medicine as prescribed, as an additional way to fool my parents into believing I was really in pain. One day, I took one and fell asleep. When I woke up, I mistakenly thought it was time for another pill. I took the second pill and it got me high. I had never been high before, but I liked it. I began taking 2 tablets at a time whenever I took any. I loved the high. After about 5-6 months on the drug, the doctor stopped prescribing it. I had no withdrawal or anything, and didn't take an opiate again for almost 9 years.

But, I started experimenting with other drugs at age 16. I began drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana. It became a daily habit almost immediately. I liked feeling stress free. I liked the fact that nothing seemed to bother me anymore. So, I continued on like that for another 8 years, occasionally experimenting with harder drugs like LSD, Quaaludes, and Cocaine.

When I was 24 years old, I was sitting in the living room of my house just reading. I sneezed really hard and threw my back out. I received treatment from a Chiropractor but no drugs for pain. But, knowing that I liked getting high, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to score some pain pills to play with... since I had a real injury. I went to the Nurse Practicioner at my doctor's office, and she prescribed 80 Hydrocodone/APAP 10-325 mgs. I began taking more than was prescribed immediately. I took these pain pills on and off for the next 13 years, never experiencing any withdrawal symptoms when I ran out. Then one day everything changed. I asked my doctor for straight oxycodone without acetaminophen, and he gave them to me. After that, I progressed to snorting them, and eventually, injecting them.

When it became obvious to everyone that I was an addict, the doctor cut me off. I then started purchasing the pills on the street which quickly led to near financial ruin. I could see where I was headed. It wouldn't be long before I would consider stealing from others in order to get my drugs.

After that point, I started looking for a Suboxone doctor. Because I had tried several times to stop on my own, without success. I had also been in rehab centers, and detoxed using Suboxone. But I had never been prescribed Suboxone outside of a hospital situation. My main concern was that I needed to somehow get off this path to hell, and be successful at it. I needed to quit lying and manipulating. I needed to feel like a decent human being again. I found a methadone clinic that had recently added Suboxone therapy to their practice. It was expensive, but not near as expensive as my drug habit was. And my medical insurance pays for Suboxone itself, but not the doctor visit. Either way, I would be spending less money and I would not be committing crimes, nor would I be lying to and manipulating people because of my drug habit.

I've been on Suboxone for a little over 6 months. I have used this time to completely change my lifestyle. It's not easy, and I have to be satisfied with small amounts of progress at a time. But, I'm getting closer to my goal: To live a normal life not consumed with finding drugs and staying high. While on Suboxone, I'm starting to have feelings again. All of them! And I'm learning to cope with those feelings without getting high. My current treatment plan is to stay on my current dosage, which is 8 mgs daily, for approximately 12 more months and then begin a slow taper off of the drug. I am currently seeking psychological help to compliment the Suboxone treatment, in order to deal with the behaviors that got me here in the first place.

Suboxone has been a good experience for me, so far. I have a few side effects, like sweating and constipation. The sweating is no more than an irritant, and the constipation can be managed with diet and exercise. I have heard that the sweating will decrease when my dosage begins to decrease. Still, it's a small price to pay. Because, at least now, I can look at myself in the mirror and see someone who has decided to change. And Suboxone has been a welcome and necessary tool to employ in order to foster that change.

Wow, I should be an advertiser for this product! It really is working well for me!

So, that's the basics of my story up until today. I look forward to reading all of your experiences and stories. I am so glad this forum is here. Thanks for the support!

Sincerely,

kjane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:44 pm 

Kjane welcome!!!

Loved reading ur story, wow it has a lot of similarities to mine also. I especially related to the part about once u start having to purchase ur drugs off the streets it leeds to financial ruins, it sure did me and that didn't get better til I started the suboxone. I lost my home, my car...everything and had to start completely over (with children btw) once I began sub almost four yrs ago. I was in and out of jail and detox after detox then rehab, and sub is the only thing that worked for me. It literally saved my life and my family. I'm eternally grateful to it. I too had to build my life bk a little bit at a time. Trust me, you'll get there I promise u that.

I just wanted u to know how much I enjoyed ur story. I love hearing about how sub changed someone's life like it did mine. I think we could both be spokesman for it lol! So glad u found us kjane :) Happy Halloween!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your story. Buprenorphine products are an important tool for people addicted to opioids. I am always pointing out to my own patients that not everyone does well on buprenorphine. I have had MANY patients who started buprenorphine, but couldn't pull themselves away from heroin or other agonists. For that reason, I would encourage you and others in your shoes to feel good about what you have accomplished. Getting out of a life of addiction was YOUR decision---- and YOU made it happen. Going forward it is important that you recognize that you don't owe anybody an explanation, unless you decide to share your story. I hope that you are proud of yourself for making changes in your life-- because many people do NOT make those changes.

I have patients who want to stay on buprenorphine indefinitely, and others who want to stop the medication 'as soon as possible', The decision should be YOUR call-- and it really doesn't have to be a big deal. People on buprenorphine are as 'normal' as any patient being treated for any other chronic health problem.

Again, thanks for sharing your story and your thoughts. If you stick around, I'm sure you'll be a big help to many other people who stop by here, on their way to finding help for their addiction to opioids.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello!

Thanks for your warm welcome and quick response. I feel very encouraged!

I'm sort of laughing right now because I just typed an entire reply to the responses and when I clicked on the preview button it deleted somehow. Anyway, thanks for responding so quickly. I look forward to reading the posts on the forum - there's so much to learn!

Have a wonderful day!

kjane