It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Frightened
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Eveleivibe on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think the best thing you can do is be open and honest with your doctor. If you're not ready to decrease your dose, express that to her. My doctor was always great at letting me decide when it was time to drop down, so maybe you should try to have the conversation and express your fears of withdrawal.

While everyone is different, I don't think you'll feel the w/d too much going from 8 to 6mg. If you do happen to feel sick from the drop, you could always try to alternate days at 6 and 8. That's what I did for a week when I was going from 3 to 2. I had a friend who literally just dropped from 8 to 6 at the beginning of this week, and he hasn't felt any difference at all. If you do decide to make the drop, hopefully it'll be the same for you.

Treatment is a process and you shouldn't have to feel rushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

relax.. you'll be fine. just be positive.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Evey and welcome to the forum. Your in the right place. Tell you what I have discovered after being on 24mgs of Suboxone for almost 3 YEARS and reducing my dose down to 2mg WITHOUT my doctor even knowing it. I wanted off this stuff so bad and decidied to reduce down and get off it.

Now I'm speaking for MYSELF only here, but what I discovered was I didn't notice any difference in the way I felt taking 24, 12, 8, 6, or 4mgs than I did taking 2mgs Evey! And that's the honest truth. I just posted about that very thing on my thread here. I'm betting it would be the same for you too. I doubt you would even feel anything reducing from 8mg down to 6mg. This stuff can mess with your head so much.

Of course it's all up to you in the end what you do, but from my own exoerience I certainly felt no difference whatsoever when I reduced from 8mg to 6mg. Guess you could try it and see what happens. One thing I do know is that you won't get judged here, only supported. I just joined a few days ago and I have received lots of support, suggestions, and ideas of how to get off the sub by tapering my dose in smal doses after I got to 2mg. I'm reducing my dose by .063mg each time. I'm down to 1.93 mg for the first time in my life!!!

Keep posting and let us know what happens Evey. I wish you the very best.

Karen
xoxo

P.S. I wasn't suggesting you reduce without telling your doctor either, only telling you what I decided to do. You have to make your own decisions about that, and probably should inform the doctor of your intentions.

Post subject: Good Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 pm 

Welcome to the forum Eveleivibe,

You've gotten really good advice from everyone so far. Count me in that crowd who could drop from 16 mg's to 8 w/o any mental or physical problems. Then I went to 6, 4, 3, 2, 1½, and then 1 mg. I stayed there for several months and it still felt like I was getting a full dose. Funny how Suboxone works.

And just like they all said, it is MY experience and opinion. Yours may vary a bit but you'll never know until you try. Your doctor is trying to taper you off. If you don't feel that is the right thing to do and you'll risk a relapse, say so! You must stand up for yourself. I totally understand how you want to please people. I am the same way. But now that I'm older I've learned to say NO, it's not good right now.

You haven't been on it long enough to work on your recovery. Do you have some sort of support group or plan? If you don't, a relapse is almost a given. Try hard to stand up for yourself. This is really important for your recovery. I bet your Dr. will totally understand if you are honest.

Good to have you with us!

R62

Post subject: Re: Frightened
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Eveleivibe wrote:
Hiya,

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I've been on suboxone 8mg for 2 months n 8 days after having a huge codeine addiction of 700-800 mg daily.
My key worker asked me how would I feel if In a month I reduced to 6 mg. WHAT!!???? Nooiooooo! I'm really not ready yet but know I'll say yes to please her as I always try to please every one.
What will happen to me? Will I go through withdrawals n for how long?
I could deal with codeine withdrawal as I felt extremely depressed n suicidal n the grief was unreal. I never want to go through that again. Ever.
So can someone give me advice here. Please no lecturing or judgements. I've had that already n it just makes me defensive.
Thanks
Evey xxxx

it doesnt matter if you drop .00001mg or 100mg, if you're not mentally ready for it, it'll make all the difference (personally, i wouldn't if you're not ready. when you're mentally ready it is MUCH easier). personally, i was prescribed 8mg, but took 16 because i have no self control, and then would freak out when i got down to 4 strips and cut them up as small as 2mg. for ME (everyone's different) it was all mental. i had NO WD going from 12 days of 16mg down to 4 or 2. just mental issues, like i would THINK i need more, but i still had so much loaded in my system i slept nearly all day. 6mg of subs would still destroy 800mg of codeine i think(we're talking like tylenol 3 codeine and not coDONE like oxycodone right?) i had a gram+ day habit of H, straight from mexico (sinaloa guys supposedly. i never did the dirty work :p) and when i checked into rehab 4mg was plenty to keep me good, but i wanted a higher dose just because of the addict in me.

if you REALLY don't even want to go there just tell the doc you're not ready, and if you can push it back a month. most sub docs are usually kind of enablers anyway i've found out, but push it back, and try it on your own. take 6mg. one day or a couple days. i'm betting you won't feel a difference physically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Eveleivibe on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Eveleivibe wrote:
Thanks for such such lovely n supportive replies to my thread. It's kind n thoughtful of you all. I think I will just tell her I'm not ready but I'm scared she'll think I'm pulling a fast one or just drug serking. Cause someone I've used codeine onto of it (stupid i know n it just made me depressed anyway) but she was concerned n said you may as well eat a load of sweets n thats when she asked how would I feel if I reduced in a month from 8 mg to 6mg. I kind of sat there shocked. She said "we can discuss this next time". I don't think she's going to be impressed when she finds out that I didn't want to continue a relationship with a peer mentor they had found for me. The reason for this was that the person was a retired nurse who had never Had an addiction. I'd like a peer mentor who I can relate to who is an addict. But they do not seem to understand this. They said as these people have been in contact with people with active addiction that they probably have more knowledge than I do. Uh EXCUSE ME???
Am I wrong here. Surely it's right that i'd want an addict to mento me. Plus first thing she said to me (on the street£ was "i know you you n you know your parents." I clammed up after that. She then proceeded to tell me how confidentiality was her main priorty.
I get the feeling my key worker doesn't want me near addicts for some reason. She doesn't me to go on forums n wants me to keep everything separate. Unfortunately I have to keep seeing her or I won't get my suboxone but I feel like she wants me make loads of changes really quick n it's overwelming me.
Take care everyone,
Evey xxxxxx

Most sub docs still believe that subs aren't THAT abusable from what I've experienced, so diversion is the only thing they usually worry about, again in my experience. I think the doc will be more than understanding. Remember, you're not the only one that has gone thru this, ( I mean that in a supportive way) so I'm pretty sure the doc has seen the disadvantage of dropping doses before people are ready.

I'd still try taking 6mg by yourself. Physiologically with sub half life your receptors wouldn't even know the difference until a couple days in, but I've found out this is much more a mental game than physical ( not to dismiss the physical part, but mental state is way more important I think)