It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hi friends
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's Queenie.

I'm curious. What is the difference between Suboxone & Methadone?

It;s just that my neighbor said her nephew is on Methadone . So, I went ahead and told her about my subs. Well, she came in and sat down & we talked. She & I have been neighbors for 17 yrs and today we got so close. But, she is pro methodone and against Subs. She claims subs is too new and no one knows the long term problems it could bring. Whereas Methadone has been around a long time and people get cured.

Is there a difference in these 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I don't know a lot about methadone, but I'll give you what I've got. Both sub and methadone are considered opiate replacement therapy. Suboxone, as you probably know, is a partial agonist, unlike "regular" pain pills that are full agonists. Methadone, I'm pretty sure, is also a full agonist. With methadone, you still develop a tolerance and will still need dose increases. Also, people on methadone can still abuse it and still get high off it. (I'm not saying everyone does.) I have nothing against methadone - it works great for some people to get them out of active addiction.

Suboxone isn't that new. It's been used to treat opiate addiction I believe since 2002, however buprenorphine, the main ingredient in it, has been around for much, much longer.

I find it rather closed-minded for anyone to say that suboxone or methadone is better or worse, aside from the context of what works for them.

I hope this helps. Maybe some others will come along and add to - or correct anything I've gotten wrong.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Iam Not a doctor, however, my husband & I used methadone for a long time(I used other drugs too). Methadone can save lives, but it's like getting a life sentence if not used properly. Methadone is also referred by addicts as liquid handcuffs, we had them in pill form, but when you run out it feels like death coming for you. My husband got so bad he had to go the the local methadone clinic & they gave him the liquid methadone. Besides being way addictive, in order to get the methadone from clinics you have to be there early day after day. My husbands cousin broke his back & ended up paralized(he fell out of my tree & landed on a root) he is on enough methadone that he has been warned if he goes into withdrawals it WILL kill him. Now he is on alot, but that is a scary thought. Methadone can be a savior, or it can be terrible. Suboxone should not be given until at least the 3rd day of w/d's, and those w/d's are by far the worse. My doctor warned that any less than 48 hours since methadone risks full on w/d's once those start, they can't be stopped for a couple of days. Poeple have been taken by ambulance out of her offie for lying about their last dose. If suboxone is something the would consider, I would recommend switching to another drug(like OC's or roxy's) for about a month prior. Methadone & suboxone do not mix. Once again, I am not a doctor, but I recommend they seek one & get off the 'done' & get suboxone as soon as the methadone won't interfere. Suboxone saved me from myself. Methadone just was another way to get high, cause it gets me really high if I took enough...drool & all(not attractive for a girl..lol)