It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My friend has been clean and on subs for about a month. He takes 4mg once a day. He thought about it for a while, and decided that he wanted to get high (smoke heroin) one night for a special occasion and get right back on suboxone. He did just that and actually realized how much happier he was sober, which is GREAT! We were both on a suboxone sobriety journey together, he asked if he could be honest with me and tell me without me judging, and also to make sure he didn't go overboard and fall off the wagon completely... who am I to judge anyways. I agreed, the last thing I want is my great friend spiraling out of control. His addiction was way worse than mine, probably double; so relapsing on .4 grams in 2 days isn't that bad I suppose. Not to sugarcoat it, but at least this was a "controlled" relapse. He wasn't sad, he wasn't crazing it, he just wanted to reward himself actually. It's weird how we think sometimes.

He smoked around .2-.3 grams last night and .1-.1 1/2 this afternoon. How long should he wait to start back on his suboxone? I told him he should have taken it late today, but he insisted on finishing what he had. Do you have to have another induction? I personally don't think that he will have bad withdrawals from the little amount he did. Should I tell him to sleep it off and let his body decide in the morning? Maybe wait 18 hours or so? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and his last dose of subs was 4g the day before he relapsed.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I were him, I would wait until I was at least feeling a little bit of wd before restarting Suboxone. I would guess by this afternoon, which would be 24 hours since his last H, he should be feeling at least a little wonky and be fine to restart Suboxone.

I've heard that after short lapses like the one your friend had, you can pretty much go right back to Suboxone, but again, I would rather be safe than sorry, so I would wait.

Also, if I were you, I would be fairly concerned that he only made it one month on Suboxone before he decided to party for a special occasion. We addicts are great at making excuses to use. If I wanted to, I could think of a "special occasion" for each of the 365 days of the year.

As his friend, I understand that you don't want to judge him, but as his friend, I think you also need to be truthful with. You know him and his addiction much better than I do, if you think he's headed in the wrong direction, you're better of saying something sooner rather than later, IMO.