It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum but not new to suboxone. I'm having trouble currently dropping in frequency from 3 times a day to 2 .
A quick overview of myself. This is the second time I've been on a sub program. Currently taking 1mg split into twice a day but struggling to not split into three. I'm down to such a low dose and my doctor plans on having me dose once evey 2 days soon unknown to her knowledge have taken the correct amount but 3 times daily for 5 months. I remember my last time taking it having any trouble with just twice a day I would do a random three but it was rare. I just want to go about my day feeling normal as can be and I struggle pushing the second dose to 3 and I start witg first dose at 3 am when I wake up for work. So a 12 hour split . It's easy on weekends when I wake up at 8 but I can't wake up and wait 5 hours to take my first dose .
So what I've been doing well have done is I went one whole week taking .5 twice then last week was back to three and now I'm back to twice with some help from the weekend.Am I having trouble because of my extended time taking it 3 times a day? The half life is 72 hours and I've always followed the rule of when I drop in dose, not frequency, I feel better by the third day and am ready for another drop by the fourth day.
Just to lay out when I am having trouble.... I take first dose at 3 and I want to take second at 9 but wait til noon even though I want to wait till three and then at about 7 or 8 pm I start to feel a little crappy but just deal with it bc I know I'm going to bed at 9 .
So idk. I'm a little groggy now having trouble collecting thoughts so to wrap it up if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm 

Welcome here! The only answer to your question is really a simple one. You just have to DO IT. Yea, it sounds simple enough but addicts/alcoholics don't like change or being told they have to do something. With myself, these last several years I've been stuck on 6 mg's. Then out of nowhere I decide that 4 mg's is enough so I just took 4 and was done with it. No side effects, nothing. Same thing with all habits to break, you just have to act on it.

We have an old saying in AA that goes something like this:

"I knew the day would come when I had to_____ but I didn't want it to be today!" Feel free to fill in the blank. With me it was drinking first, then going to see a Suboxone doctor. We really hate making changes.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll succeed.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey
Thanks for the advice . I really do appreciate it . Your definitely right I do hate being told what to do lol. I feel it was def easier dropping doses when I was around 4 but once I get to below 2 or around one like I am now drops in dose and frequency get harder mostly mentally . But that's the game right ?most of this is mental. My girl thinks it's all ment but I definitely have withdraw when I come off lol she thinks its all In my head . I mean it's nothing like heroine but it's still challenging. I continuously say I need to come off but we addicts want to feel normal so much that , well at least me, I just continue to stay on. I do need to just do it your right there. I make excuses like I have two kids and a job I can't be going through this around them but pushing it off won't solve the problem.
When I came off last time I got down to .125 three times a day the. Went off for two days felt like he'll then took 1 piece .125 then 2 days later I felt mostly better just lethargic foggy and trouble sleeping . That's really not that bad . So maybe I'll just try doing that again . I have perfect tapor plans written out but I can never follow them lol.and I don't care what anyone says suboxone def has a numbing effect ti it . Im not comolelty myself until im off.its just time to stop making excuse and execute. I know what it take I know what I have to do. But I continually let fear run my life. Keep me in your prayers. And thanks again for your thoughtful post.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:44 pm 

If you're determined then you'll make it. Just take the word "try" out of the sentence. If you try, you fail. It needs to be a firm "I'm done with this and nothing will stop me from getting off it". Some people do feel the effects and most don't. I am like you where I feel it just wee bit. For that reason alone I am able to taper quite easily w/o feeling any withdrawals effects. Just keep it slow and steady. No big drops, this isn't a race. If it takes you a year to taper down, so be it.

Keep the positive attitude!

r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a little confused about what you wrote to be your doc's plan-- the idea of dosing every other day, for example. This is all between you and your doctor, but I'll respond because of your comments about 'numbing effects'.

When a person is on an adequat dose of buprenorphine-- i.e. a dose that keeps them far above the ceiling threshold, all day long-- he/she becomes fully tolerant to the mu receptor effects of the drug. For most people, that requires a dose of 8-16 mg of buprenorphine per day, with average dosing efficiency (i.e. absorbing at least 25% of a dose of Suboxone Film). Buprenorphine products currently on the market are ALL intended for once-per-day dosing.

The benefits of buprenorphine can be reduced or eliminated by fiddling with the proper use of the medication. This isn't unusual; antibiotics don't work if taken at the wrong dose or frequency, nor will most medications. Low doses of buprenorphine, taken several times per day, do not have the same effects as once-per-day dosing of recommended dosages.

Most people reading this site know that at low doses, buprenorphine has properties similar to those of mu-receptor agonists. And yes-- mu receptor agonists, including low-dose buprenorphine, have psychotropic effects. Unfortunately, laypersons don't understand how buprenorphine works, and so comments like yours about 'numbing effects' lead to misperceptions and bias.

People tapering off buprenorphine have to pass through doses as low as described in this thread. But people taking buprenorphine should realize that these are NOT recommended doses-- and the benefits of buprenorphine for treating addiction require full, FDA-recommended doses of buprenorphine.