It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone !

I'm a French guy who got a study permit to study in Ottawa for 2 years (I'm supposed to fly there in August 19th). Everything's ok, I've been accepted in the school I wanted, I have a place to live, and Canada gave me a study permit. The only problem is that I'm currently on Subutex 8mg/day here in France, and I'm not sure I can get my medication in Ottawa, Canada. My doctor (specialized in addiction treatment) told me that everything was ok, and that she'd call doctors/centers, but I'm supposed to go in 10 days and she didn't do much. It's that same doctor that switched me from Methadone to Subutex 3 weeks before my departure date (and that induction was not a pleasure). I thought it would be better if an actual doctor called, but now I have to do it myself. If I can't get my treatment in Ottawa, I will have to give up and stay in France... I contacted a few doctors and centers near my (future) area, but I had no luck.

Does anyone know if a foreign student can be prescribed Subutex (or Suboxone) in Canada ?

And do you know a Suboxone doctor in Ottawa, near K1K 4R3 ?

I should've known not to be too ambitious as an addict, and dumb enough to do anything to go to Canada without thinking of my treatment first. I will not listen to doctors anymore, especially when they tell me that "everything's gonna be ok". I feel like a failure.

I hope you can help, even though my hopes are low.
(and I hope my english isn't too bad)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 am 

Welcome!

Your English is better than at least 50% of the people in America who speak it!!

I hate to think that your ambition must be thwarted because you have an opiate addiction! You are not dumb and you are not a failure! You're improving your life with education and expanding your horizons by seeking to study in a foreign country!

I am not familiar with Canadian healthcare. There is a professional addiction counselor here that lives and works in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area who might have some ideas. I am hoping that because of his proximity to the Canadian border he might have some knowledge that will be useful to you. This is a link to his profile. You can send him a private message. member/TwinCitiesHardcore/

I hope this helps. I think that persistence is going to be crucially important to your search. Don't give up! When you call a doctor's office and they can't help you, ask if they know of someone who can. Run down every lead!

Please keep us informed on how it's going for you. I hope that there is someone here who can answer some questions for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Amy !
That's encouraging, as I really want to spend some time in an English-speaking country !

I did everything I could to get there, and I didn't think much about my medication. I was on methadone when I started this project, I felt so good I almost forgot about the methadone thing. When I started thinking about it, I just told myself "I have enough time to tapper down", but unfortunatly I was wrong. I tried to tapper so my treatment wouldn't bother me there, but it was not a success (especially because I started doing a lot of benzos again). My doctor switched me to Subutex because it's supposed to be less restricting (and it's true, in France at least), but it's still a problem today... I can get 28 days worth of Subutex in France, but things don't seem to work that way in Canada. I'll be studying, so I won't be able to go get my dose everyday (like people in methadone clinics in the USA and Canada if I'm not mistaken).

I've contacted TwinCitiesHardcore, I'll post back when he answers.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated !

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi NC, I'm in Toronto (an hour by air/4 hours by car from Ottawa), i'll do what I can to help you. If you can make it into Toronto even once or twice, I could try to hook you up with my former addiction doc, who is awesome. She could maybe get you set up until you find a place in Ottawa for Subs.

In Canada, for synthetic opiate prescriptions, people either go to a Methadone clinic or to a private doctor doing addiction medicine. Here's a list of M clinics in Ontario, looks like there are four in Ottawa, maybe you can call in advance:

http://www.opiateaddictionresource.com/treatment/methadone_clinic_directory/on_clinics

Doctor/clinic visits and prescribing fees are normally covered by our Provincial Health Insurance (OHIP here in Ontario), do you get this as part of your student visa? If not, you'll have to pay cash, not sure what fees are.

Prescription opiates are tightly controlled, generally you'll have to start off doing daily visits to get yor dose, until you build up enough 'clean time' (pee tests) to qualify for carries.

PM me if you have any questions.

- ji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for help johnny_ikon !
It is nice of you to try to help me with this. To answer your question, my insurance does not cover this, only emergencies, hospitalisations, and visits to the dentist.
Now I know that most the things I read about Suboxone in Canada seem true. All the things about getting your dose daily, urine testing, and carries.

Sorry for posting so late, but because of the informations I had (and the lack of informations too), I decided to play it safe and not go there this year. I should've kept two you updated, but I was feeling like shit and wanted to just forget about all of this. I still wonder if I made the right decision, but at least I know it was the safest. I hope I will be able to go to Canada someday, but now I'm kind of scared of living in a foreign country, and even taking the plane.

A big thanks to you two, it's great to see some people still like to help others. I hope some day I will post here about how great it is to study abroad !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 pm 

I hope that you can feel able to study abroad some day! Thanks for letting us know about your decision!

Amy