It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Free and clear
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Gonna try to keep this short. I had been on Sub for about 5 years. Wanting to get off of it for the last 3 years. One problem was reading the horror stories. Could never find a good time to do it. Also had a doc that would give it to me forever. He was a great guy. He did encourage me to reduce etc, and get off it. But left it up to me. I got down to 1mg and stable. Could never seem to skip a day no matter what. I tried a couple times leaving myself a couple just in case. I realized if I had it I would use it. So I came to the conclusion if I didn't do it this time, I may never. I basically made up my mind it was do or die for lack of a better term. Psyched myself up for about two weeks. planning it after my last does. Well I DID IT. From 1 mg to 0. I just told myself there is no other option and no going back. I also had no help from anyone, groups etc. Well it's been 10 days and i do know I am free and clear. Nothing could make me go back. The mental tax it had on me worrying was the worst. The side effects were not nearly as bad as I had planned for. I was beyond stressed out coming into the last couple days before quitting. Plan for the worst hope for the best. The side effects were not nearly as bad as I had read about. I did have most of them. Not good sleep, mushy legs, sneezing, little headache. No energy. But all of them were really not bad. A little bit of each. There is a huge mental component. Be tough as you can be. Until you really make up your mind it won't happen. I mean I tried many times and thought about it EVERY DAY. When will i have the strength. Well I came to a point to just get it done and over with NO MATTER WHAT. Thats how I did it. Sleep is still not great. But I have always had sleep issues. Still sneeze. Btw what the hell is the reason for the sneezing? I would suggest reading positive things. Before hand like this. You can do it when REALLY READY! All in all it waas not nearly as bad as I had prepared for. One more thing. I believe that a low dose is enough when you have got stable. 1mg a day is enough. The rest is mental. Hope this helps someone. I can't wait to tell doc. He will be pleased. I may post more. I have not been on here in a long time because I would read bad stuff and i would get freaked. So I told myself the next post will be sucsess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congratulations. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Hopefully your story will help balance some of the "horror stories" you mention. I firmly believe a person's attitude and determination have EVERYTHING to do with success. Often the fear of suffering for addicts greatly exceeds the reality. Good for you for showing what's possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations! A very great post to read. It's great to hear you did so good jumping off at 1mg. You have a great positive attitude, hold onto that frame of mind and you'll continue to do great! What a great Christmas present!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is wonderful wonderful! I am at .25am & .25pm. I am still slightly unstable as I made a HUGE reduction unintentionally but it is very nice to read that 1mg IS a managable point to stop. Not sure when I will be ready, but when I am, I am confident that I will have great success too. Congrats. YOU ARE A SUCCESS! Happy Holidays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:29 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

5 yeas on sub and jumped from 1mgs and already in the clear by 10 days? am sorry I find this hard to believe. People start to get withdrawals at day 8-10 and PAWS which last for several months and these are folks who tapered way below 1mg and were on sub for couple of years..I just do not know what to believe. Am just being honest is all. 1mg sub is still considerably many months of bup in the system espeacially if you'e been on sub for 5 years, so how one can be clear by 10 with minmim side-affects is beyond me. I know people want to believe theres nothing to it and become very naive at believing net stories but you gotta be realistic and not indenial. Its impossible in my opinion to feel like your in the clear by day 10 after 5 years sub use, just impossible. It takes that many days for symptoms to start let alone subside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:38 am 
Redemption wrote:
5 yeas on sub and jumped from 1mgs and already in the clear by 10 days? am sorry I find this hard to believe. People start to get withdrawals at day 8-10 and PAWS which last for several months and these are folks who tapered way below 1mg and were on sub for couple of years..I just do not know what to believe. Am just being honest is all. 1mg sub is still considerably many months of bup in the system espeacially if you'e been on sub for 5 years, so how one can be clear by 10 with minmim side-affects is beyond me. I know people want to believe theres nothing to it and become very naive at believing net stories but you gotta be realistic and not indenial. Its impossible in my opinion to feel like your in the clear by day 10 after 5 years sub use, just impossible. It takes that many days for symptoms to start let alone subside.

You didn't read. OP specifically said he was still having w/ds, just that he has so far had the mental fortitude to get through them.

OP, you deserve applause and *snaps*. My plan is to taper super low, but I totally relate to your desire to be "free and clear" of bupe. People are always forgetting what a strong drug we are taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes Redemption...by all means, let's don't congratulate someone for doing a very difficult thing. Since we can't do it, well,obviously they're lying or in denial...or something!

Strangely enough, sometimes people who are very disciplined and determined can accomplish great things...things which seem impossible to someone who lacks those particular traits. Failing to do something doesn't make someone a loser. Belittling someone who can, well...that's a little petty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to ask, what is going on around here? Why are people's successful taper stories being questioned and met with anger? If you have a different experience than the op and others who have successfully tapered then by all means post your experience but what's with the obsession from some of you to prove how horrible it is to get off sub?

You say don't take an experience you read on the internet seriously and that it's naive yet you all talk about the bad experiences you've read on the internet. A bit hipocritical if you ask me.

We are not here to question and belittle each other's experiences, we are here to support one another. The old saying applies if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

P.S. redemption, this post is not directly aimed at you but everyone that has been questioning recent taper posts. Also it does not take 10 days to begin withdrawl from 1mg, not even 16mg. At 1mg the half life is not near as long and most people will feel withdrawl start within 1-3 days. This is why people split their dose when they get this low because many will start to feel withdrawls that same night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Breezy_Ann wrote:
I have to ask, what is going on around here? Why are people's successful taper stories being questioned and met with anger? If you have a different experience than the op and others who have successfully tapered then by all means post your experience but what's with the obsession from some of you to prove how horrible it is to get off sub?

You say don't take an experience you read on the internet seriously and that it's naive yet you all talk about the bad experiences you've read on the internet. A bit hipocritical if you ask me.

We are not here to question and belittle each other's experiences, we are here to support one another. The old saying applies if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

P.S. redemption, this post is not directly aimed at you but everyone that has been questioning recent taper posts. Also it does not take 10 days to begin withdrawl from 1mg, not even 16mg. At 1mg the half life is not near as long and most people will feel withdrawl start within 1-3 days. This is why people split their dose when they get this low because many will start to feel withdrawls that same night.

Yeah, I don't get this either. If someone can jump from 4 mg and be okay, I'm so happy for them. If someone needs to taper to 1/32, then that's what they need to do. Everyone is different, but we all need support. When someone gets off Sub and is proud of that, why not just give them two thumbs up?

Redemption, you seem to almost want to believe it is impossible to get off Suboxone. I'm not surprised that you feel that way if you meet all success stories with skepticism. I wish you didn't feel this way, because it is probably psyching you out. Just keep in mind that if you want to not believe the positive stories you read, you have to be fair and not believe all the negative stories you've read.

No Sub, Congratulations!!!!! I bet you feel wonderful having cleared this hurdle and found that you can handle it after all! My friend jumped from 1 mg and her w/d peaked at day 5-6. By 10 days out, she was way past the bad part. You've made it!!! Downhill from here!!! Woot-Woot!!

LT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Had a feeling there may be some doubters. From reading many posts here. Eveyone is different. Now several days later and I do feel better each day. Sleep is finally getting better. More energy during the day. Again. Had effects/withdrawls. Just nothing thats not manageable as far as everyday life etc. I guess I was ready for hell and it was just not that bad. Not a cake walk buut screw it. . Put it this way, I am beyond glad I did this and wish i did it sooner. Just was not REALLY ready. There is no doubt in my mind I am free and clear, and the worst is in the past. Hope this helps some. I will check back because I feel folks need to hear that this is quite doable.

Post subject: Thank You "No Sub"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear No Sub and others,

I am Marc and I posted that I am tapering right now. I am on day 2 of 0.5 and will quit next Friday. I have several pieces already cut up to 0.25. I will also start taking the product "Withdrawal Ease". That's just various vitamins that will not do anything other than help. beside it will also give me a little piece of mind.

But No Sub you have truly convinced me that we can do if we put our will to it. So many Other people have even said the same. Of course there will always be those that will not believe. Too bad for them and hoary for us :)

Thanks and maybe you could share more.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a quick update. For anyone getting close to quitting sub. Just get REALLY mentally prepared. IMO, very important. Then do it and look forward. You will be glad you did. it won't kill you, and with a little time, you will be done. I am beyond glad i finally did it. It took many tries, but when you get serious you get it done. In the big picture it is not that bad. I promise. I am thankful every day I wake up and not have to worry anymore. It will be that way for you. Makes you a hell of a lot stronger in many ways. A good side affect. :D Again the stress of worrying about quitting is worse than actually doing it! Just know IF you really want to, you will be glad you did. If your not ready, don't sweat it. I drove myself crazy worrying about it. Remember the mind is stronger than and drug!!!! Now i have to pack for a golf trip to the beach, without worrying about you know what. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wanted to edit that post but guess ya can;t. Anyway, I am not saying this is a breeze to do. Just want to be clear. But I do believe you should put more weight into the positive posts than the bad ones. There is no reason anyone can't do this. I stress the point that you really need to be ready, and really want to be done. Just know that the bad will not be something you can't handle. And when you look at the rest of your life, this is small journey. Sorry to go on, just hope it helps someone. Back to packing. :lol: