It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yesterday my husband fell off a ladder and fractured his calcaneus (heel bone) and has been suffering with severe pain ever since. He currently takes 4 mgs of suboxone a day and when we went to the ER he made the doctor aware of this so they could treat his pain effectively. They ended up giving him a few shots of dilaudid and sent him home with 30 oxycodone 5's (instant release). I'm not saying the doctor's weren't trying to reduce his pain, because they seemed like they were trying. And at no time did he feel as though they were judging him for being on suboxone. I just don't think they have enough experience treating suboxone patients who come in with acute pain.
My husband hasn't taken his suboxone since yesterday morning (before his fall) and has been taking his oxycodone as directed (2 every 4-6 hours) but is still not feeling much relief at all. I realize a fractured calcaneus is a pretty painful injury, but I wish there was something we could do for his pain. We called the sub doctor and left a message for her to call us back. Also, the orthopedic doctor is supposed to call us today to schedule follow up. Hopefully someone can give us some advice.
Have any of you experienced a painful injury while on suboxone and how did you handle the pain? Would my husband be better off just taking his suboxone or do you think the pain medication will start to work eventually? Do we need to ask for a higher dose of medicine? If anyone has any insight, I would surely appreciate it. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. I'm glad though that they are at least trying to treat his pain.

Here's a link to another thread that has an NIH paper attached to it about how to treat acute pain in sub (and methadone) patients. It's a great paper and I'd suggest you both read it and the different options about treating said pain.

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

One of the options you have that might work for him now is continuing to take the full agonists that the doc prescribed to him, but adding a very small amount of sub to the mix. (This is listed in that paper as one of the legitimate options to treat acute pain.) With any luck, his suboxone doctor will be aware of this option and can instruct him on how much sub to take with the oxy. (Probably 1mg or even less, but I'm no doctor.)

I hope this helps. Let us know how he's doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for your response, Hatmaker. I have read some of the article you attached and will print it so my husband can share it with the ortho doctor. I am going to have him take a small sliver of his suboxone (maybe .5 mg) to see if it helps. Just recently, like in the past hour, he is starting to feel the smallest bit of relief from the oxycodone. We were thinking that maybe since he hadn't taken his sub in more than 24 hours that the oxycodone was now able to work. But its nice to know that he is able to take just a small amount of suboxone to assist more with his pain relief.
We did hear back from our suboxone doctor (well actually the nurse who relayed the message). We were just told to stay off the suboxone while taking the oxycodone and resume the suboxone when hes finished with the oxy.
We still haven't heard from the ortho doctor but we'll see what he says.

Even though the sub doc says stay off the suboxone, I think he's going to take the small amount of sub to see if it helps. I will post later to let you all know the outcome.
I now see one downfall to being on subs... When you are in extreme pain, it can be tricky to get relief. I'll be giving birth in November so I will keep this in mind and probably wean myself down pretty low prior to having a baby based on this experience with my husband.
Thanks again, Hatmaker for your helpful response.