It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi all

It's been quite sometime since I've been on the forum. Everything in my life has been wonderful since i've been on the sub. It has truly SAVED my life! My relationship with my husband and my daughter are better than ever. And I've advanced to placing IV's (which I absolutely LOVE doing) for our sedation pts @ the Oral Surgery office where Im a surgical asst.
However, I just got the jolt of my life a couple days ago when I learned that Im preggers! I am so scared! Alot of the info I've read about pregnant sub women includes the fact that alot of them were using other drugs besides suboxone while pregnant. Im really trying to get some accurate info from someone who is pregnant or whom has delivered a baby while on suboxone (and ONLY suboxone/subutex). I need to make sure that my baby isn't gonna suffer now or after birth from my suboxone.
Im also a little worried about having to decrease my dose. I feel so comfortable in my own skin now. Im scared to change ANYTHING. And.......My husband dosen't even know that Im on the sub. Im scared to death to tell him, but I'd have to. Anyone have any helpfull thoughts or information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Marie & congrats on your pregnancy.

I haven't had a baby while on Sub, so I can't answer your questions directly, but I know there are several members on the forum who have had healthy babies while on Sub. Maybe check out some of their stories and try to PM a few of them? I don't know how often most of them check in with the forum - I'm sure they are all quite busy!

I don't think you will be required to lower your dose if you are against doing so. I'm pretty sure at least one of our members stayed at 16mg right through her pregnancy. Let me go see if I can find her story.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok here's someone with a positive story, sounds like she was on only Sub thru her whole pregnancy:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2253

Here's another positive story;

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2103

Here's Tangerine's story - she's had two babies while on sub:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1357

It seems that one thing that most of the positive stories have in common is that the moms had good support from their healthcare providers. You're fortunate in that you know very early on that you're pregnant and that you want to stay on Suboxone. I would encourage you to find a supportive OB who can help you through this process. You have time to shop around and find someone & maybe your Sub doctor can help you with a referral. Good luck!

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: THANX!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you Diary of a Quitter

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It's been a very emotional couple of weeks. I told my husband about my suboxone. He was very upset @ first (as he felt I'd lied to him by NOT telling him I was taking it). Later he remembered that he was very against the idea of me starting sub thearapy a yr ago. And realized that I had made the right choice in taking a step towards saving my life. Over the past week, we've been researching on the internet about the effects of sub on pregnant women and their babies. We even found a couple of research papers. Most of the info we found indicates that subutex(not suboxone) is pretty much safe for the pregnant mother/her baby. And carries a low risk for the baby developing NAS after birth. My husband is a Dentist, so he was determined to find an actual study. My first OB appt is scheduled for tommorrow morning with a doctor whom (his front desk sais he has experience w/sub pts), so we'll see.
I am a little worried about telling my sub doctor that Im pregnant tho. I actually had an appt w/him on Thursday and he was surprisingly rude. He has always told me that he has no problems with his pts being on a LOW dose of suboxone long term. So, I thought that's what we were working towards. I see him every two months and he decreases my dose little by little. But at this last appt.,he said "If you want to stay on suboxone long term you are a STUPID person". I was petrified to tell him about the pregnancy after that, for fear that he would just end my treatment NOW. Needless to say, I think I might have to find another sub doc whom is more supportive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Marie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I have to say, you sound much calmer now that you've done some research on the subject and after having told your husband. It sounds like after his initial reaction he's been supportive of you. I'm so glad to hear that. Your ob/gyn definitely sounds promising, with her/his experience dealing with sub patients. I'm really sorry your sub doctor is such a shit though. To tell a patient that she's stupid! That's completely unacceptable and I don't blame you for wondering if you should find a new doctor.

Good luck and please do keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Marie -

I'm glad your husband came around & that you've found some comfort in the research you've read. That's great! This should be a wonderful & enjoyable time in your life, and I hope that it will be.

Your Sub doc sounds like a real douche. It's never good when you're afraid to be honest with your doctor about anything, let alone something major like pregnancy. I hope he either gets an attitude adjustment or that you're able to find a better sub doc.

Please let us know how things go...we're all here for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Marie,

I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and have been on subutex for almost 3 years now. I was on 4mgs of suboxone when I got pregnant and was switched to subutex. I do not take anything else nor have I used drugs during my pregnancy. My baby is completely normal and healthy. He is perfect as far as we know. I am due 2 weeks from now and will update once I give birth. The only negative effect that I have seen from subutex use during pregnancy is NAS which I'm sure you have researched. Apparently it is milder than methadone NAS, but completely unpredictable as to which babies will get it and which wont. It could be very mild or severe. It seems to differ for each person. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy.

xx

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree with the comment that subutex is safe for the baby. I think the only problem is NAS. I too am pregnant. Been on box for 2.5 yrs. Now on subutex. Since I found out I was preggo 20 weeks ago I am down to 1mg. I am taking it really SLOW. That was my decision though based on the stories from here and on the internet. I too was freaking out at first but now I am calm and excited. My ob even said that narcotics do not cause birth defects. So if you can deal with the baby having nas then you can stay on your meds without worrys. You may even be a lucky one and the baby may turn out fine.

I have one question. Do you feel like just because they know that you are takinsubutex they will think your baby is having wd's? That is my fear.

Good luck and congrats!