It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LenaD,

You sure know how to melt a guys heart! You're too nice. Thank you so much for the kind words.

At the moment, I'm doing fine. The 'close calls' scared the heck out of me, but I sure learned a lot from them. I'm actually researching the Naltrexone implant. If my close calls start to pile up, I am considering the implant. I have a lot of research to do on it before I would go that route though. The thread I started was titled, "Quit Sub, Had some close calls". It's under the Stopping Suboxone section.

I must admit, I don't do a good enough job of reaching out early enough. I knew I was headed for trouble, but I couldn't seem to not be inexplicably drawn to it? I guess that's addiction for ya!

Thank you so much for the offer of PM'ing you, I will more than likely take you up on that in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo, I don't know if you saw it or not, but there is another thread going here that reports they have just approved a once a month (I think) injection that you can get - rather than have to go the implant route. Even though, minor, the implant is technically a surgical procedure. There is also history of people digging out the implant since it rests just below the skin. The new injection sounds like it might be the best route for Naltrexone therapy. If you are researching this, check it out. I too think this might be the way to go. I'm not yet at the point of stopping Sub but if and when I get there I may look into trying the pills for a short time to make sure there are no side effects and then moving to the injection as a safety net. As long as there are no side effects, the only downside would be if you needed opiate pain medication. Other than that, I really think that a Naltrexone injection might be the perfect safety net post Suboxone and a great "bridge" for a year or so into long-term sobriety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh,

That was spooky! It was like you just read my mind. From what I've been reading and figuring out, I had come to the same basic conclusions you reached.

I "think" I would be OK with the pills. I could give them a try and see how they treat me. If I ever needed pain relief, I stop my pills.

I "know" the once a month shot would protect me from any moments of weakness. If I need pain relief though, could be trouble.

I always seem to think I'm farther ahead in my recovery than I actually am. To have something as a 'safety net' would be awesome. I certainly have moments of weakness, but I've been OK so far. I've probably been LUCKY so far.

As of this moment I have not made a decision. I think I'm going to keep on the road I'm on, but I'm going to make a bunch of phone calls and whatnot to find the doc nearest to me that does the "shot" or prescribes the "pills", this way I'll be as ready as I can. I may even go in and have a talk with one of these Doc's and describe my situation, see what he thinks. Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Naltrexone may be the second smartest thing I could do regarding my addiction, Suboxone was by far the smartest decision I made regarding my addiction.

Thanks for the input!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I actually think Naltrexone is a very smart idea post Suboxone - especially if there are no side effects. I mean, if you feel exactly the same but have the added safety that you can't get high if you slip, I mean, what could be better? If you do try the pills, you may want to consider having someone "administer" them to you. I have actually thought of that as well. Having someone else know that you MUST take one each day will again help with relapse prevention - at least it would certainly help me. It's just too easy if you really are battling cravings to stop for a few days. While it will certainly get you through the initial moment - or hour or two - all you need to do is stop for a couple of days and you are able to relapse. Having someone that you see on a daily basis work with you is yet another safety net. That too is part of my plan. Then again, that's way down the road as I'm still at a solid 8mg/day and have no current plans to reduce that.

If you find out more, please let the rest of us know what you learn. I really find this whole Naltrexone thing very interesting.

Post subject: secrets....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Lena,

I am so glad you are choosing the sub route. We all can relate to what you are saying and hold difficult it is and scary even to get ready to unduct on Sub.
If you can hold out and induct in dr office I am thinking that would be better, but depending on the dr and her ability to understand why you'd take sub at home, then if it is between taking sub on sunday versus taking more pills...take the Sub!

I am amazed at your insight...you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and know that this life is not worth it in any shape. You talked about secrets making you feel in control...(I might have mis quoted you) but in my experience secrets make me feel so fucking lonely....I felt less in control having them. And secrets are part of the life of an addict. that is the one thing that you will see when you get clean and you WILL be clean on Sub don't let anyone tell you otherwise...that the freedom you will have letting go of the lies and the life of active addiction, telling the truth, living congruently in all areas of your life...will be so worth it.

I believe your induction on sub will be fairly straight forward. I had been a vicodin user taking about 20 norco's/day...then after several relapses decided on methadone maintenance. i did that clinic for almost 3 years and then just 2 months ago got on sub. I'm so happy to be off methadone even though it was legit and all methadone was not the best choice for me. But it did put my disease in remission...so I'm grateful for that.

Well, just wanted to wish you well and hope you make it to the induction...I cannot believe your dealer put you on "notice" like she did. You are right, she is afraid of losing money, losing control over you, and having one more person get a life which means she has to take a look at hers...hence the bullshit she is telling you. Sub is not cheap but it is doable and like you said it isn't any different than what we have been doing, financially I mean...altho it is much cheaper, really.

Let us know how things go. I would suggest that you keep posting your thoughts, get support, ask for help and especially if you feel like you want to use let us help you through it. You can do this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sorry about the typos in previous post.. i meant to say induct not unduct. obviously. have massive headache and don't know how to edit apparently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yesterday was my 3 week induction milestone! Here is what I have accomplished since the day I took my first dose of suboxone:

First of all, I am on a regular 8 mg dose of suboxone. My doctor and I are establishing a good relationship
and I am grateful to have found her.

I am no longer in debt to my drug supplier, thank God. I have only seen her once in the past twos
weeks and that was in a public place. She called me a week ago to let me know vicodin was available at a lower
than usual price, and I can honestly say I wasn't even tempted! Every day I think of the money I am not spending
on opiates and it feels fantastic...

Tomorrow I have my first counseling appointment. I am thinking of this visit as an interview and if this therapist
doesn't appeal to me, I will ask the clinic to set me up with another therapist. I think therapy is going to do me a world
of good, and I must find a therapist that clicks with me.

I sure hope all of you are doing as well as I am. I will take a peek at the other threads in the forum tonight,
and keep up with everything you are up to. Hopefully, I will be able to encourage other people making
the leap from addiction to treatment the way you all helped me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update, Lena. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. When we have access to opiates and just aren't interested, well, that's the sub occupying the receptors and curbing cravings. It's working exactly like it's meant to. Congratulations to you, again. You're doing terrific and I know you'll continue to only get better.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LenaD,

What a great post! I'm so happy for you and all that you've accomplished.

I love your attitude towards finding a counselor. You're exactly right when you say you have to find one who 'clicks' with you, by doing that you are providing yourself with the greatest chance for success.

Good Job LenaD!