It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay, so I need some opinions here on what to do about my situation. Heres a brief background.. I've been on and off for about 5-6 years addicted to opiates such as vicodin, percs, and roxies . It started with a shoulder injury and from there that was the start of them all. I liked the feeling and all and it boosted my confidence and energy. After awile of wasting money and realizing I didnt want to live life like that anymore, going through terrible WD's so many times, and two hospital visits for the panic attacks from WD's, someone gave me some suboxone to try. It helped me and I had no cravings whatsoever for pills anymore. I continued to receive from a friend and eventually wanteded to stop so I did. I tapered a little, but wasnt on such a high dose to begin with (1.5-2mg). Got down to about 1 mg and jumped. I had WD's for awile and never really got to feel "normal" again before i started to take them again. A close friend started a program and was easy access to get to me , plus i feel that I did not taper well enough and planned to stay on it for maybe 6 more months and slowly taper this time and see a therapist. I am currently on 2 mg of suboxone a day and had a plan to taper 1/4 down every 2 weeks. This was before I ended up getting pregnant. I am currently in my early 30's and me and my husband definatly knew we wanted a child. I just did not think it would happen just yet. Im now terrified and so mad at myself for starting up on it again. Im a generally anxious person to begin with and the anxiety I have that I may hurt my baby in anyway kills me. I should be so incredibly happy , and I am, its just that the worrying is taking over and I want to know what is best for my baby being that im not getting them prescribed to me and Im reading about so many things on whats right and wrong. I have a great job with insurance and work full time and dont think ill be able to handle wd's again knowing that im carrying a baby, and possibly causing harm. And what will my OB say? Im not getting them prescribed or seeing a therapist yet and so many negative things are running through my head right now. Im supposed to be happy and this whole thing is ruining it knowing that both chioces that I will have to make can lead to harming the baby. I do not know what to do , my husband has been wanting a baby together for just about the last 10 years we been together and thought he couldnt even have children for some reason, so it is killing me worrying too much about the health of my child. Its all I care about now , nothing else. If someone has any advise for me , that would be greatly appreciated. How do I tell the OB? and do I see a suboxone doctor myself now and explain to them the situation im in and maybe they will help me?? Or will they not bc Im pregnant or currently taking Sub? Im so nervous . All I want is for the best thing for my child.. Thank You to anyone that took the time out to read my post and willing to help. ..

Post subject: HI NERVOUSEMTB...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi nervousmtb and welcome to the forum.
First I would like to say congratulations on your pregnancy.

From what I have read on the forum here is what I would do in your case. You need to get in with a suboxone doctor and tell him the truth about your addiction...the pills....and the pregnancy. He will put you on subutex which is suboxone without the naloxone in it. Subutex is safer for the baby. You can take it through your pregnancy or taper down ....I don't know exactly how it works but the doctor will know and help you.

Don't be afraid to tell him the whole truth for the sake of you and your baby....they have heard all the stories before...you are not unique to the system....

I would not quit the suboxone before you see the sub. doctor. ...going into withdrawals may hurt your baby so stay on it and get in with a sub doc. asap because you need to be on subutex.

I hope this helps and again congrats and good luck to you...keep us posted on how you are doing.
Sincerely,
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll just give you some of the statistics regarding getting off opiates during pregnancy. The studies show that going through w/d in the first trimester has a risk of miscarriage and if done in the third trimester there are risks such as premature labor. The best time IF one decides to taper off during pregnancy is the second trimester.

Now the reason I say IF one decides to taper off during pregnancy is that many women choose to stay on it and have perfectly healthy babies. You are on a very low dose. So you could easily make the choice to see a doctor and get put on it legitimately or continue your taper - but extremely SLOWLY. The slower you go and the less YOU feel it, the less the fetus will feel it. Remember, the fetus will go through WHAT you do, at least to a degree.

You'll have to make some decisions and set some priorities with your husband. (Does he know about all this?) And of course with your doctor.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck and congrats.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slipper makes a good point about the Subutex. My sister just had her first baby, and she's definitely a worrier as well. The moment something came up that was out of the plan, she would wig out over it frantically. Now the baby is born and she's beautiful, and my sister is really proud to be a mother.

I'm not too familiar with Suboxone and how it effects pregnancy. But most women who are prescribed Suboxone legitimately I've heard get switched to Subutex. It's mainly because Subutex doesn't contain the added naloxone, and it's a good precaution to minimise the number of extra drugs being put into our bodies while pregnant.

For the most part, I think it's advised medically that women don't detox themselves while pregnant, because opioid withdrawals can increase risk of miscarriage because of the extra stress it puts on the body. So mothers-to-be are often advised to stay on Suboxone / MMT. I don't know if the advice would be different for you, given your dose is just 2mg.

I think it's really important to do what Slipper said and get in touch with a doctor, who can then liase with your OB and help you through. Despite the potential cost, it's in the best interest of you and your baby. And stick around here.

Congrats on the pregnancy. And don't worry :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all! Thank you for all of your replys. Im going to take everyones advise and call up a local sub doctor monday and hopefully I will be accepted being pregnant and all. Im the kind of person that makes WD's worse then they are and everytime I think of this whole situation Im in, I get anxious and half the time start crying. I dont think I would be able to just stop on my own without my mind going crazy thinking what im possibly doing to my unborn baby. Will the doctor accept me if I tell him I was taking sub from a friend being the situation im in? My mind is running crazy thoughts. And if I happen to still be on a very low low dose at the time of pregnancy, does CPS always get involved even though you have a legit prescrition? Im not familiar with that whole situation of when they are called and involved and when they are not. Uggghhhhh ... so many things going through my head. I told my husband after I took three pregnancy tests what I had been doing. Surprisingly he wasnt mad due to the fact of how happy he was that I was pregnant, and how hes been wanting a child for as long as weve been together. But, I told him the dose I was doing, andf he always says that I dont have a problem , that its such a small dose I can easily just stop, obviously he doesnt know anything about the drug and thinks the past times ive been through WD's, have been all in my head. Sure , maybe I do make them alittle worse but It was not ONLY in my head, I def felt sick. I wish I can just calm down and stop thinking so much, I dnt know what can make that happen. Ill have to just try very hard. And hope for only positive things. Ill let everyone know what happens after I make my phone call to sub docs on Monday . I can only hope my OB doc and sub doc are understanding and experienced in this area. Thank You all again for your support and advise. I will talk to everyone soon.-- :|

--nervousmothertobe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unfortunately CPS usually gets involved for just a day or two. Don't worry tho they can not take your baby etc... Also the baby could have a few withdrawals but breastfeeding is a good way to possibly avoid those. My friend had to change OB-Gyn's and go to a different one as being on sub made her "High Risk" just needs to be monitored closer than most. DO NOT TAPER OR STOP AS THERE HAVE BEEN ASSOCIATED MISCARRIAGES DUE TO THIS.

http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/suboxo ... -pregnancy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26113/#A83515

above you see two links that discusses your pregnancy and suboxone in full detail both are very informative. You should be able to click on the link and go there or copy paste in your browser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If CPS might stop to talk or something, but just be honest with them. From what I have read they have no real reason to take the child or anything. They might refer you to services which you must attend.

Its really hard to get your baby actually removed from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First I have a similar story....kinda....You need to know that BY TELLING A DOCTOR THE TRUTH....sub doc then OB......YOU LOOK LIKE A HONEST RESPONSIBLE LOVING PARENT THAT PUTS THE NEEDS OF HER CHILD BEFORE HERSELF!!! THIS IS A MAJOR MAJOR FACTOR IN ALL OF THIS. You may have a nurse visit you or a worker but be honest and then they cant do nothing to you or take your baby. IF YOU DONT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE AND THEY FIND OUT.......then your in trouble,,, I capitalized my letters so you would understand the importance of it.......you are going to be ok...the others advice is DEAD ON TOO......I LOVE THE FORUM!!!!!! Man I understand how you feel...trust me....

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

:) Thank You Everyone for your responses. So I did what pretty much everyone advised me to do so. I went to doctor yesterday (OB) and told her the truth. I told her about the sub and how I was actually getting it and that I had an apt. with the Sub doctor this week. I am happy she did not say I had to go to a different practice. She just told me to get her the info after i met with the other doc. After that we spoke of only the positive, great things to come for me and my husband. I left there feeling a bit better telling her the truth. Now the next step is going to the other doctor and see what is to come from there. I did , when making the appt. , tell the receptionist of my situation so there would not be any secrets and the doctor agreed to see me next week. Thank God, I did not think any doctor would wanna take me on being pregnant. Now I just hope that he really cares and does what is best for the baby and not just trying to get a new patient. Why do I always think of things negative! I just hope he helps me and baby out and tells me the truth of what I should do. I will let everyone know what happens after my appt with him . Wish me luck everyone, and thanks again for all the great advise.
Oh and one more question, since im still taking suboxone till at least I see the other doctor, is this bad being Im only 5-7 weeks right now. I know Im talking to the doctor about subutex, but what will the suboxone im taking currently and for at least another week till my appt. do to my unborn baby? My mind is running wild. It needs to stop and relax. I know it will after I finally go to that appt next week. Cannot come soon enough. Ok everyone thats it for now . I will post again soon. :)

Thanks -- nervousmtb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You did a great job! I know it couldn't have been easy to tell your ob the truth but you sucked it up and put your baby first. You are going to be a great mom, you already are!

Don't worry about taking Suboxone until your appointment. The main reason for the switch is to not expose the baby to anymore medication than necessary. A lot of women don't find out they are pregnant as early as you did and if they were on sub they were taking it until they were switched, it's just a precaution.

I know it's hard not to worry but I doubt the Sub Dr would have scheduled you if he/she did not intend on treating you. You are doing everything you can and everything is going to be fine. Congratulations and try to relax.

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

nervousmtb wrote:
:) Thank You Everyone for your responses. So I did what pretty much everyone advised me to do so. I went to doctor yesterday (OB) and told her the truth. I told her about the sub and how I was actually getting it and that I had an apt. with the Sub doctor this week. I am happy she did not say I had to go to a different practice. She just told me to get her the info after i met with the other doc. After that we spoke of only the positive, great things to come for me and my husband. I left there feeling a bit better telling her the truth. Now the next step is going to the other doctor and see what is to come from there. I did , when making the appt. , tell the receptionist of my situation so there would not be any secrets and the doctor agreed to see me next week. Thank God, I did not think any doctor would wanna take me on being pregnant. Now I just hope that he really cares and does what is best for the baby and not just trying to get a new patient. Why do I always think of things negative! I just hope he helps me and baby out and tells me the truth of what I should do. I will let everyone know what happens after my appt with him . Wish me luck everyone, and thanks again for all the great advise.
Oh and one more question, since im still taking suboxone till at least I see the other doctor, is this bad being Im only 5-7 weeks right now. I know Im talking to the doctor about subutex, but what will the suboxone im taking currently and for at least another week till my appt. do to my unborn baby? My mind is running wild. It needs to stop and relax. I know it will after I finally go to that appt next week. Cannot come soon enough. Ok everyone thats it for now . I will post again soon. :)

Thanks -- nervousmtb

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy. It's really going to be okay. I've been right where you're at. My Sub baby is now 4 and perfectly healthy. I have three kids and my Sub pregnancy was actually my easiest, least complicated pregnancy.

I switched to Subutex but not super early, because it was early '07 and my doc was unsure what to do. The placenta doesn't even form until around 6 weeks or so, so until now, the baby hasn't even been getting anything from you. A few weeks of a little Naloxone is not going to hurt anything. Just switch to Subutex as soon as you can. You are already way ahead of where I was. I was on a way higher dose.

You have to be very careful with tapering, as everyone already told you. Don't let yourself get sick. I was able to taper to 3 mg and my baby was born just fine. No w/d, no NICU stay, and CPS never talked to me. I was very up front with my doctors and gave them the other one's number and told them to figure it out and tell me what to do. I put it on them entirely, and they stepped up and helped me. I had no shame, and neither should you. Always keep your head up and expect to be respected as a responsible mother-to-be. In reality, if they told you that your baby would be okay only if you stopped Sub right now, you probably would do just that. We will do anything for our babies! However, stopping the Sub is actually very dangerous, so you can't do that and you need some quality support from your doctors.

One other reassuring thing is that the very worst case scenario is having a baby who has w/d for a little while. That may sound terrible, but it's not the end of the world. Opiate dependency at birth is not something that will permanently harm your baby (unlike drinking and smoking, etc.) So, it's kinda nice to know that even the bad outcome still leads to a healthy baby. The one and only thing you can't do right now is throw yourself into w/d.

Try spacing your doses as much as possible. So, since I was on 3 mg, I was taking 1 mg 3 times a day. I also drank tons of water.

It's all going to be okay. Try to enjoy your pregnancy, because we all go through what your going through and worry ourselves to death....yet for the most part, we end up with totally healthy babies.

laddertipper

Post subject: Good Job
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Job MOM!!!!........You are brave and congratulations.....You are finally going to enjoy your pregnancy......and you know what else....You are going to be treated by a doc for you addicition and taking suboxcone responsibly. Suboxcone changed my life.....I went to colleage got my Medical Assisting Degree and AA....Im a better MOM...i FUNCTION NORMALLY...... A mother puts her child before her fears.....and that is so hard.......it shows how great ur gonna be at this. Now when this is all over you will have other worries.....When I first became pregnant I thought of all the stupid stuff I did in my life like jumping of cliffs into water, off roading etc etc ....and it scared me I couldnt believe I did those things I thought of all the ways my kid could get hurt and all the ways I was going to protect her........lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

1 more thing I wanted to point out was that breastfeeding while using Subs WILL NOT help your baby with any type of withdrawals.. its a common myth to think that by you taking Sub the baby is also getting it like you. Not enough Sub passes into breast milk to affect the baby at all, it will not keep the baby from withdrawing and it will not help in any way to "wean" the baby from Subs. Im pointing this out because someone who posted earlier in this thread said something about breastfeeding and it helping the baby with withdrawals and stuff and I dont want you to be mis-informed on anything. Good Luck and Im sure everything will turn out great... Congrats!!

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

finallyachance wrote:
Unfortunately CPS usually gets involved for just a day or two. Don't worry tho they can not take your baby etc... Also the baby could have a few withdrawals but breastfeeding is a good way to possibly avoid those. My friend had to change OB-Gyn's and go to a different one as being on sub made her "High Risk" just needs to be monitored closer than most. DO NOT TAPER OR STOP AS THERE HAVE BEEN ASSOCIATED MISCARRIAGES DUE TO THIS.

http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/suboxo ... -pregnancy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26113/#A83515

above you see two links that discusses your pregnancy and suboxone in full detail both are very informative. You should be able to click on the link and go there or copy paste in your browser

This is the post I was referring to.. breastfeeding WILL NOT help in any way to avoid withdrawals in the baby.. I can understand why alot of people would make the mistake and think that though. Its very common for people to assume that. Get as educated as possible about Sub and pregnancy..Its good to be as informed as possible so you know what to expect as well as the risks involved. ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR PREGNANCY THOUGH & DONT LET YOURSELF GET TOO WORKED UP!!

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*