It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Forward Progress!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Well, as of Today, April 28th, I am officially ONE MONTH CLEAN from my DOC, Oxycodone! Also, yesterday I saw my doc. For the last 3 weeks I've been taking 16mg/day. Twice a day. Well, I've now tapered down to 12mg/day! I know it's not THAT huge of a step, but it's definitely BIG progress for me. My goal is to try and be down to at least 2mg/day or lower and stable within 6 months. After that, If I feel I'd like to try and stop, then I'll obviously attempt to, however..if I don't feel secure enough mentally and still fear relapse..I will remain on the low dose of suboxone for however long is necessary. I'm in no rush to be off this medication. Who knows, I may be on it for years or even life if required to keep me away from opiates again permanently. So with all this, today is a very good day for me, and I'm also excited! Just figured I'd give you guys a heads up.

Thank you all for "being there". And even though it's over the internet, and We've never met..it still feels very personal and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. This site has been my number 2 tool behind suboxone so far in my recovery and it's done amazing things from me. It's given me stories to relate to. It makes me feel more comfortable with my "disease". I've gained a plethora of knowledge about suboxone via this site/Dr. Junig, and last but not least, the SUPPORT itself is incredible.

Thanks all!

-Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on your new-found recovery. It sounds like you're doing well on the subs so far. I know you said you'll stay on it as long as necessary, but I just want to say don't be in any rush to taper down just yet. You need to get stable on it so you can work on your other issues surrounding addiction. Is the 12 mg handling your cravings ok?

Again, congrats. You sound really happy, and I'm happy for you.

Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hat..

Yes, the 12mg is holding me just fine. I don't have any desire to use opiates. I am taking 8mg in the morning, and 4mg after dinner. Have been doing this since I started. Overall, I feel no difference what so ever between 16 and 12mg. If anything, I feel a little better! :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

wow, that is great. I think it is ok to use suboxone long term if one needs it. It may be a life time thing for you and that would be ok. I feel the same way. I have found subutex works great with my bipolar. It acutaully helps my mood swings. I am tapering down right now for my sugery, so I am a bit scared - I got 13 days to sugery. I plan to do seven days clean, so I am at 2mg today and the next few days, then 1mg and I am stopping. I will start back up after surgery. I plan to stay on it as long as needed. It not only keeps me away from pills but other drugs as well. I have been on all kinds of drugs and this keeps me stable and that is the best thing for me and my children. I like you will try to taper in a few months but if I can't I will stay on it also. I hope my sub doctor is on board with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm 
That's great Kev! I'm glad you're doing well. Isn't it amazing to think you can actually work your way down on your dose instead of having to keep going up?! I had really no trouble at all going on down to ~8mg/day. I think Dr. Junig and other professionals and experienced users of buprenorphine agree that w/d symptoms at anything over that dose are almost always more pyschological than anything else. That's not to say that they're not 'real' to the person experiencing such symptoms, but scientifically speaking, it just doesn't make any sense. As Dr. Junig says......Whether the person takes another dose of Suboxone or not, the w/d symptoms almost always disappear within a very short time period. So good for you for bringing your dose down a bit. Like you, I actually found myself feeling better over all with dose reductions. That is until getting down to ~4mg/day.
Everyone is different to some degree though and you may find that your ideal dose stays at 12mg or you may find your best dose is as low as 4mg/day. Since starting Sub, I've always felt it best to find that balance between not taking more drug than you need, but taking enough to avoid problems. Taking less is certainly easier on the bank account, reduces side effects, and decreases the risk of big problems should a medical emergency arise.
Just take your time and keep working with your doctor on dosing issues. Also know that with or without bupe, your recovery from opiate addiction is a process. Continue to educate yourself about it and work on it daily as you put your life back together. I'm glad you're sharing the journey with us!