It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Forum Privacy??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi,

I have been wondering about this for awhile, so hopefully either Dr. Junig/a Mod, or one of you can help.

What are the current privacy settings for this forum/website for NON-MEMBERS? I have my first name on here, and I'm sure over time I've posted little random tidbits about myself in general, especially when I told my story in the "Introduction" forum a couple months ago, but I try to be careful and cognoscente of what I'm putting out there for the most part. That said, what is the likelihood of this community and your username/name coming up if someone runs a search on you? Can individuals read this forum if they are not registered? Can they look at your profile/activity? I know the obvious answer here is to keep it completely anonymous and I do try to, but I just get worried sometimes that a future employer/friend/relative might stumble across this site and my profile if they were REALLY digging. A few of my friends/family members know I'm on Suboxone, and I wouldn't even want them looking at my profile/posts, or even knowing I'm a member of this site. It's something that's extremely personal to me and I just want to be as careful as possible.

If anyone has any insight/tips/etc. please let me know :) You're more than welcome to check out my profile & past posts and determine if I should remove anything that could compromise my privacy.

:) Thank you!!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

Post subject: Re: Forum Privacy??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Crystal,

Someone who is not a registered member of this forum cannot look at your profile or your post history. But, anybody who visits the site is able to read all of the posts if they go into each section and click on them individually. If you are concerned about someone discovering your identity then it would be a good idea to be very cautious about what you post here. It's not hard to register as a member, so anybody can join the site and look at profiles if they really want to.

If there is something you have posted in the past that you would like removed or edited I would be happy to help you with that. Just PM me with the information about the post you want changed and I'll take care of it.

Oh, and if anyone else is curious how the site looks to non-members you can just log-out of your account. What you see when you are logged out is exactly what non-members see when they visit the forum.

Qhorsegal2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 am 

Q is spot on! I just want to add that there is a Members Only Section of the forum that cannot be viewed unless you are a member.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 pm 

A person must be careful of what they put out there on the internet. You are right, employers, creditors, or anyone who is interested in you can find out quite a lot by searching via Google or whichever search engine they like.

Just make sure you don't use your real name and it will be fine. There is no way a connection can be made between you and this site unless you make the information public.

Everyone needs to be very careful in the digital age we live in.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:29 pm 

Hey Crystal,

Me too, I honestly wish I'd chosen some off the wall name like pebbles or something lol. When I registered I guess I didn't realize how much I would share about myself. Honestly I feel like I hold bk and never really even shared my story here because I got to thinking, what if my ex who's caused me so much trouble legally with my addiction and my kids, would know its me. I'm having some issues I'd love to share on this forum but I don't wanna take a chance cause what I would say, if someone saw my name and knew me.....they'd know. Now I'm not a paranoid person but some things spook me so I just hold bk. I've also thought about changing my name but I hate to do that since I have friends here. It would be way to confusing for me lol.

But I do understand ur concern, guess we should've been pebbles lol if I could do it over again I def would be. I don't think anyone is looking me up or googling me but I'd also hate to offend anyone at my clinic if I said something. Its a lot to think about for sure :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you everyone!!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll